1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

I mean, I doubt you'll have to be charging every single day. Pretty sure one full charge will last you quite a while.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Look at the math: https://www.teslamotors.com/models-charging#/calculator

In the best possible configuration (high amp outlet/charging station + dual chargers), it will still take 40 min for a daily 40 min commute.

What's the likelihood that you'll find a public charging station with that kind of availability on a daily basis?

Your backup will have to be a standard outlet and that would take about 12 hours daily for the same commute.

3. Swishh

Swishh Member

Oh wow. I thought it went 200 miles per charge?

4. shastarocket

That's the max capacity. You can definitely get up to 200 miles on a single charge, but the amount of time it takes will vary: anywhere from 40 hrs to under an hour (at a supercharger station).

Bottom line, the realistic option is to have a garage with a high-power wall charger

5. Swishh

Swishh Member

Thanks for the info. Won't there be a supercharger option with the Tesla Model 3 though? Obviously will cost more money but isn't that another option?

6. shastarocket

It will be, though you'll have to pay to access it

Also, I'm not sure about future plans, but there is only one supercharge station in Houston. It really is meant to be for road trips

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

Wow, only one in Houston. Well I live in California so I guess I'll just wait for more info. Kinda sucks that I might not be able to realistically use/own this car.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, you might not have a choice. Well, you do but itll cost extra.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model-3-chargers-20160601-snap-story.html

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Granted its not common, but my apartment gladly installed multiple chargers throughout the parking garage.

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

I live in California, so apparently they are required to by law. But I have a feeling it won't be that easy.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why can't you realistically use or own the car? I've only used the supercharger stations on road trips. They aren't normally in big cities.

And to your post above...the charging stations aren't hard to install. It's just a 50 amp outlet. It costs a few hundred bucks if you are getting one installed in your home. They are similar to washer and dryer outlets. You can charge off a regular 3 prong wall outlet too....it's just really slow

12. Swishh

Swishh Member

Because I will need to constantly be charging it and I live in an apartment that doesn't have the chargers in the parking lot. Sure that can change and they may let me, but I doubt it.

And charging it from a regular 3 prong wall outlet isn't realistic/possible if you live in an apartment where the parking lot is several hundred feet away from your apartment.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Extension. Cord.

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

With the range on a full charge wouldn't all of the charging just happen in your garage overnight?

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

True, but full time Uber drivers regularly drive over 225 miles per day.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some dude just died because the car couldn't distinguish a truck trailer from the sky. I'd say buy low.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Lets be fair. Anyone who uses the autopilot feature w/out oversight is a fool.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's easy to not pay attention to the road sometimes with it on. Especially when you think there are no major hazards around.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People will inevitably die because of faulty autopilot technology.
    More people will die because of human driving mistakes or manufacturing mistakes.

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

The dude was watching a movie while the autopilot was on. Bought some TSLA when it dropped after the solar city bid and it's going up.

Tesla is not at fault. They say to not do things like sleep while the autopilot is on