1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We gonna act like we didn't just hire a former COTY???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Orange, May 26, 2016.

1. therox3

therox3 Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ing-mike-dantoni-comes-with-curious-questions

2. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

neither has anyone else with the knicks or lakers.

So is it about him or franchise's that have been run to the ground?

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Again he won't be as bad as people are expecting him to be but what do you expect when you come down to the filthiest of coaches - I mean he was paired alongside Byron Scott, Kevin McFail, BJ an other unknowns in the unemployment line

Probably the best of this underwhelming bunch

4. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

That was over 10 years ago.

5. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Only an idiot will endorse this idiot.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You do not get to me with that COTY shet, guy is a pretender

just like Les inherited a championship team, he inherited somewhat similar, a WC Finals team and 2x MVP

screw him

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

My problem with MDA is his coaching philosophy doesn't have a proof of concept. The year he won coach of the year is mostly due to the powerhouse team PHX had, the team was basically coaching itself with Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Matrix. He ran a 7 man line up pretty much all game and during their entire run almost all of the Suns were healthy so there was never any instance where Nash was injured for a significant amount of time and you will see if the 7 secs or less offense was working with just regular players. And then he left PHX and was really bad every game afterwards.

What we have now is a coach who is old (65!!!), isn't really analytics friendly and runs a coaching system that is gimmicky and has never been proven to succeed outside of the time it had a transcendental pg running the game plan. Harden is really great but he's not a pg, at heart he's still a me-first player so he's not a great fit for this system. I want to be wrong but I think this is the worst coaching hire esp. considering the Rox interviewed like 52 people for the job. This is a joke, nobody was even considering MDA except for the Rox.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If he fails. . . . Les will fire Maury . .extend Pringles to GM . . .and fail some more

Rocket River

9. Trackball

Trackball Member

"The guy won NINE GAMES last year, and we hired him. I hate our owner. We could've gotten any number of better coaches, and we get this guy?"
    --Pistons fans in 1983, upon getting Chuck Daly.

You don't know.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

D'Antoni has failed at a lot more stops than Chuck Daly did... please get out of here with that nonsense.

If Les is hiring him for his work 10 years ago, without considering Nash's impact, it is very dumb.

If Les is hiring him for his most recent work, that is obviously very dumb.

If Les is hiring him for entertaining basketball, regardless of winning, that is also dumb since Houston has shown that they will only support a winning team... and will largely ignore or be apathetic to a mediocre one, and only then will Les open his eyes.

This year was one of the most disappointing displays for most diehard fans... and they follow it up with this sort of coaching hire? Les is truly on the verge of losing any interest this city actually had in this team.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think you're missing the point. The Rockets had a free flowing system filled with players who can't create or get their own shots. If you are going to have that system you need to keep guys like Lin and Parsons who can get to the rack and hit big shots. You also needed a coach who could draw something up in a pinch otherwise it's ISO Harden. Harden had to ISO it was almost demanded by the personnel and system we had on the court.

It worked the year before because we had bigs who were willing to defend, pick and roll, etc. We also had guys like Josh Smith and Brewer playing better than they usually did for a half season. Josh Smith was able to create for others. Finally James Harden was balling out of control. He wasn't the same this year but still a damn good offensive player. Our success was largely based on Harden's fantastic one on one play. Mchale was admittedly not an X's and O's guy which means we had to rely on Harden ISO when players shots weren't falling, which happened a lot this year.

ISO can be great in some circumstances:

-If you have a really good Superstar ISO player who can generate offense along with role players who can hit their open shots and are good at pick and roll and rebounding. You also need someone ideally a point guard who can spell that Superstar at times.

-If you have more than one ISO player (Superstars) who can spell each other at times along with players who can hit open shots and pick and roll well.

-Ofcourse the more players you have that can create for others or get their own shot the better it will be. The Rockets this year had one guy who created for others.

Even with two Superstar ISO players it would still be a good idea to have an X's and O's coach. Team ball is great when you have really good role players who can play well together but often when you have more than one superstar you're going to see them ISO a lot. The problem with the Rockets is because they didn't have role players who could step up and hit shots and they didn't have coaching with a X's and O's team strategy then it just didn't work as well as the year before. You had guys regress.

So its not that I hated Mchale it's that I didn't see him as a good fit for the Rockets roster. Morey admittedly was trying to find another superstar to fix that but I thought it would have been better and easier to change our system (Away from threes and inside shots) and get an X's and O's coach along with better role players.

And if we don't get better shooters and guys who are great at pick and roll then MDA won't be a good fit for the Rockets either. This puts a lot of pressure on Morey this offseason. MDA needs high above average shooters in order for his stay here to work out. I can't see that working with a roster with Brewer on it but who knows maybe he'll be traded, I'm just trying to be positive about it. I think MDA could work with the right roster.

1 person likes this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Some of you are freaking delusional. MDA blows and everyone but Les knows it.

13. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

The roster needs a lot of work.

If the roster doesn't improve, then it really would not have mattered who they hired as a HC

Did they say anything about the assistants for MDA yet?

That's going to be key

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . you wanna bring up a coaching hire from over 30 years ago
    and they still did not win anything until 88

So . . .that would mean the Rockets won't win sh** until they Reup D'antoni for another year. CAUSE HIS 4 YR CONTRACT WILL HAVE RUN OUT!!!!!

Rocket River

15. Trackball

Trackball Member

Dude, I'm just trying to be positive. Is that a crime now?

As a proponent of the Paul Westhead school of fast-paced basketball, I look FORWARD to this season.

Would you rather watch a 77-76 game that's boring as hell or a 120-118 game that keeps you riveted?

"When we want a coach, we'll hire a COACH. Bye."
    --Warriors fans, at the hire of Steve Kerr

"Kurt Warner was lucky in St. Louis. He's done."
    --New York Giants fans after his one season there, before he went to Arizona

"If he was so good, someone would've drafted him. The CFL is for rejects and scrubs."
    --Oilers fans, upon signing Warren Moon

Mike D'Antoni turned Steve Nash from a very good point guard to a Hall-of-Famer.

You don't know.

16. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

We're gonna act like this isn't a stupid thread???

Fixed it for you

17. Chamillionaire

Gotta be optimistic. Wasn't my first choice, would have preferred either of the other candidates.

18. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

Did those teams magically improve after MdA was released? ;)

I understand that pointing out that the teams are still dumpster fires is of course not the barrative people want to hear as i t points out they are shrill dramatic over-reacting, but the problem with facts is... that they are facts.

And on MDA with stars: Kobe played really well at the end untill he got that njury. And Melo also had a long stretch of being injured (which ultimately led to the depseration of Linsanity.

Would we have made the play-offs if Harden had to sit 15+ games? I doubt it.

Is MDA the best choice? Nope. But is he as bad as people think he is? Probably not.

19. houtown

houtown Member

Being optimistic is one thing, but being foolishly optimistic is a completely other thing.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol OP posts pretty rarely, but it is usually a combination of stupid.