1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golden Gate Bridge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houstontexans, May 26, 2016.

1. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

I am thinking about taking a trip to San Francisco to see Golden Gate Bridge in person. Anyone of you have had an experience seeing Golden Gate Bridge? What has it been like? Did you like it? Is it worth seeing? Thank you for your advice.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I mean its a bridge... A big suspension bridge... A marvel at the time but nothing too spectacular nowadays.

Just watch some "Full House" breh.

If you do plan on going to San Fran, drive across it and check out Alcatraz right next to it.

1 person likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol trashing the bridge for being an old bridge but then recommends going to see an old prison!

San Francisco feels like a special place to me, its definitely worth going to IMO. It just has a really cool vibe, my first time coming in was at night, the bridge was lit up and looked beautiful they have the original red one and a new silver one, seeing the hills was so awesome for me because I've grown and lived in flat Houston, the beach although cold is also beautiful, hills meeting the beach is always badass.

Very beautiful city. Then there's a lot going on too of course, there's always going to be plenty of things to do for whatever your into. I personally like going to the rec centers/parks to play basketball, restaurants(love going to Thai restaurants), movies, museams, the beach of course, Berkeley/Oakland are also cool to visit as well. Cool people, cute Asian chicks, a lot to like about SF IMO.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Nobody is trashing anything guy. The OP specifically wanted to go see the bridge and wanted opinions. I gave my opinion. Its a bridge. Alcatraz on the other hand is a museum. You have heard of museums right? If hes gonna be in that area, why not check it out? I guess youre too busy playing basketball at a rec center. On vacation.

Guy1: "Hey man, you been to San Fran?"
    Thatboynick:" Yeah man, you should def go, they got a badass rec center!"

LULZ

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I can see the GGB from my living room window, but other than driving over it a few times, I have yet to 'visit' it.

Took me a while to finally check out Alcatraz (clutch 2nd date location), which was surprisingly pretty cool. Not so much for the old jail, but seeing locations that I remembered from 'The Rock' like the run down building outside and the beach where Nic Cage got on his knees and lit the flares. Also really cool to see the city from the island.

This is accurate. The new Bay Bridge (going to Oakland) is the silver one you are thinking of, and it's gorgeous, especially at night. On top of everything you said, you can basically walk everywhere if you want... and if you're tired or don't feel like walking, an Uber/Lyft is <$10 to go anywhere in the city.

Feel free to message me for recommendations if you end up booking a trip. And pro tip: don't say 'San Fran'. San Francisco, SF, or The City are all ok.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've been jogging on the bridge several times. both directions are interesting. keep in mind though that it's always chilly/windy

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

...Dude you got way too hurt over my post, It was a joke, lighten up.

And playing basketball is fun (this is a basketball forum lol) I play it a lot, even when I go on vacations, for me its actually been a cool way to meet/make friends with the locals wherever I go.

Also i've never heard of these museum things you speak of and I totally didn't mention whatever those are in my post :p

1 person likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like to jump from that bridge.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Not sure if this was an attempt at a suicide joke, but over 1600 people have killed themselves by jumping off that bridge.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Born in The City, lived nearby until I was 21. The bridge is certainly a historical and scenic feature of the Bay Area. Lots of movies and television shows featured it as backdrops, and you can enjoy it by car (drive from SF to Sausalito or the wine country), by bike or by foot. There are very good documentaries of the building of the bridge. You can go to the Presidio (old army base near the base of the bridge) for really beautiful views of the bridge. Or you can take a ferry ride (eg Bay Cruise) to see the bridge from the water.

It is just a bridge, but there is a visitor center with historical displays and a gift shop. Self guided tours which essentially is a one hour walk across the bride. Lots of better uses of that one hour IMO (walking to various parts of SF, like the wharf, Cannery, Ghiradeli Square, China Town) and ferry rides to Alcatraz, Angel Island, etc.

But I've walked the bridge, ran across, rode my bike across the bridge so if you are that interested, and have the time, knock your self out.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Alcatraz l've heard is a easy swim from San Fran.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QOYeW864w3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Gone through it, it was aite... nothing to write home about. I guess it's different when you're looking at it from a distance.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I've done a half marathon starting on the north bank of San Francisco where we crossed the bridge each way. It's about 1.5-2 miles long, and 250-300ft above sea level which is the real pain in the ass. One of the harder halfs I've done just because of the big "hill" that the bridge happens to be.

If you drive across it, it's done in a couple minutes and not much to behold. But walking or jogging across it can really make you appreciate the view. And there's a park north of the bridge where you can take those postcard photos if you need. Warning: it can get pretty cold on the bridge.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've been a few times and it really is stunningly beautiful. I tell you one thing...when the lights go down in The City and the sun shines on the bay..

Oh, I want to be there in my city...

1 person likes this.
  17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Honest question to OP - will this be your first time ever leaving Texas?

My experiences in Bay Area are few, but I got to check the GGB off the list on a lovely drive through the City into Sausolito on the way up to the High Sierra mountains.

You need more of an agenda than to just go see a bridge.

18. famicom

famicom Member

There's a couple bike rental places nearby, we rented a couple and rode all the way to the end of the bridge and back. Pretty cool, nice scenery, and I took my 1 year old son at the time.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's worth seeing as part of a trip but not the reason for the trip. You'll walk it and then it'll be over.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its super cold. You can walk across the bridge. Just park on one end and just walk across. Its pretty cool.