1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Georgia Tech to offer $7000 Master's Degree in Computer Science

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, May 22, 2013.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Didn't do it primarily because I'm lazy but also because my employer will only provide assistance for education that enhances my skills for my current role. This would but not directly. I would have to go for something like a accounting or finance degree.

Plus with oil/gas prices so low they aren't approving any of these expenses, so it'd all be on me.

Further, there's a really good chance I wouldn't even be accepted into the program.

OK I looked, and yeah I wouldn't be accepted:

#21 Haymitch, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Welp, there goes my chances at being a GT alum.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Sometimes, the degree itself is worth the jump in pay once you're in your career. Case in point, me. I got a M. Ed. online from Lamar university in teacher leadership. Decent subject content, 5 week courses over a year and a half, and total cost of program, 5k. I take an annual jump in pay of 5k. In one year, the degree pays for itself. Just made sense to me.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If I had the proper background I'd be all over it.

5. axaznshortyxa

axaznshortyxa Member

Just browsed through the FAQ and found--
    "Your diploma will read "Master of Science in Computer Science," exactly the same as those of on-campus graduates. There will be no "online" designation for the degrees of OMS CS graduates."

As for those who are mentioning that they aren't qualified or will not be admitted.. They actually indicate that they offer these courses for free but they just aren't credits. This may deter many of you, as it does for me, but just an option.

I was always interested in CS as a back up after getting a Finance degree. Just thought it'd be a good skill set to have and something to fall back on if I ever wanted a change of pace. I did FreeCodeCamp for any of those who are familiar and I thought it was pretty useful, though it's nothing compared to having "experience in FreeCodeCamp" vs. "Master of Science in Computer Science," albeit online.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

why learn things if you can't get acknowledged or praised for it?

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Both sides cheat online, at most middle-tier private and public schools and at every community college.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This will either increase the number of applicants and prohibitively raise admissions standards, like Sanders' free college scheme, or companies will just wait a bit before validating the degree.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not to pry but this sounds exactly like BP, so maybe all the other majors do the same thing.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm no CS degree holder and not even in the computing field, but I can't be too enthusiastic about this online degree. While it is from a very good institution it lowers the value of other similar degree programs including students who are enrolled in their regular MS CS degree program. Having more people educated is not necessarily a good thing.