1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Says He Doesn't Take Jumpers Because Of A Crippling Fear Of Missing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden's beard, May 22, 2016.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Eh. Dwight Howard is one of the most mentally weak players in the NBA, period. In order to have a championship-contending team, you need mentally tough and "take charge" mentalities from your key players.

The Rockets will be better off without him. I was against them signing him in the first place for exactly this reason.

Besides, he sucks at jumpers, he sucks at posting up, he sucks at free throws...and he has no genuine desire to work on those things.

2. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Worst rocket since Pippen. Just opt out already.

3. lionaire

lionaire Member

When he appeared on Inside the NBA I figured he was trying to boost his image for free agency but now I see he's trying to sabotage it...

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Whatever Dwight

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Dwight is terrified of missing shots but demands more of the shots he misses and less of the shots he makes.

Amazing. Sorry, but my sympathy is minimal.

6. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

It's like being afraid to talk to girls at the bar due to fear of rejection.

1 person likes this.
  7. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Damn, this is why College is important.

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Good point! I never thought about that but then again Kobe didn't go to college and he has no problem shooting, lol.

9. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

If he's afraid of missing/messing up then why does he insist on trying post moves all the time?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yes, and then repeatedly complaining about not going out to the bar enough.

12. Vienna Calling

I wish Dwight nothing but the best but he can really be r****ded at times. If you're good at it, you take jumpers. If you're not good at it, you don't. Dwight, like many other big guys in the NBA, has no touch from mid-range, so he doesn't take jumpers. It's simple.

13. cmutt

cmutt Member

This pretty much sums up what almost everyone has been saying about him for years... the guy is all about muscles and outward appearance, and he has absolutely no heart, and no guts.

All he talks about is how much time he is spending in the gym and on his body. He almost never talks about what he's going to do about his lack of basketball skills, or how he's going to improve his game.

Why doesn't he talk about those things... because he has no true intention or desire to improve on those things. And he knows that if he claims that he's working on them, he'll be held accountable for actually showing the proof of it on the court... which he doesn't believe he can.

What things DOES he actually do?
    - goes to the gym to work on his muscles, strength, and physique
    - shows up to practices and work outs and just goes through the motions
    - ignores all of the advice and training that he's received from other big men
    - plays with half ass effort, in almost every facet of the game
    - shows no desire to dominate the paint, either on offense nor defense
    - shows no basketball IQ, whatsoever
    - shows more interest in dressing up and looking good on the sidelines
    - does lots of community service (to make up for all of the bad traits, IMO)

Bottom line... he's a guy who was gifted with size and athleticism, which was enough to coast him into the NBA.

Then when it came down to separating the cream of the crop, he was satisfied with resting on his basic physical gifts, and because of today's NBA... he was paid superstar money... which gave him a false sense of confidence and entitlement. He figured that since the league is paying him, and treating him like a superstar... then he must be a superstar.

No one ever taught him or told him that the TRUE meaning of being a superstar... is being a GREAT PLAYER... not just a good player. He's the product of a growing problem in sports these days.

And that fundamental problem is teams paying huge sums of money based on potential... and not on actual results. They pay too many players based on what they think they will become, instead of waiting to see IF they will actually fulfill that potential or not.

Barkley once said about 10 years ago, "The huge sums of money that young players are getting, is killing their incentive to improve, or to win. When a young player has a 100 million dollar contract, what does he care about wins or losses? Either way, win or lose, he goes home in his 100,000 car, to his million dollar house. He feels like he's already achieved everything he needs to, and he's already won."

He went on to say that improving your skills and winning used to be how you became a superstar, and got paid big money. Now, the system is totally screwed up.

And Dwight Howard is one of the perfect examples of it.

14. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

Failure

Never overestimate the heart of a LOSER!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JA7G7AV-LT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
    ' -Michael Jordan

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Beat me to it, lol. Great post.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Let my give you some advice, Dwight. Remember, success is just failure that hasn't happened, yet.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It doesn't matter.

There is no criticism going on here. There is just people taking a dump on him, making personal attacks for him opening up about something for which he is seeing a doctor. Whether it's true or not is way above your head and mine. You and I are nobodies in this story, we're neither the experts nor can we claim that we know what it's like to be Dwight Howard.

Which part of calling him weak is constructive?

It takes real strength to open up about something that might make you look soft. That takes courage and bravery.

But you have to be a real wuss to come in here and take a dump on that to make yourself feel better, and do it in a way that is not constructive or analytical.

19. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

Hey, Perry Rogers, is that you?

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No matter how his career ends, Dwight is still a champion. And he won't let anyone tell him different

1 person likes this.