1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets seriously considering Silas with Hollins as top Assistant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, May 20, 2016.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

This is it. If Morey and Les decide to go with Mike D'Antoni. I will officially give up on the Rockets. And as long as Morey is the GM I will never be a Rockets fan. This is it Morey, it is your decision and up to you if you want me as fan or not.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

He did go to Brown like Bill O'Brien.

And he can definitely put that "organizational behavior" degree to use here.

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think the fear of having an NBA father similar to JBB is a valid one, however, Silas has evidently stood out and connected well with star players everywhere he has been. Conversely, JBB did neither of those things
    :)

Silas' degrees are in Organizational Behavior and Management and in Sociology

Which one of you think that we don't have some organizational and behavioral issues?:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Posted at nearly the same time:grin:

Echoes of truth

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not optimistic about les going with silas. he's not a well-known big name, is young, and doesn't have head coaching experience. i still see les pushing MDA on us. les is a ******* fool.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do Silas and Hollins stand for total Defense?

Well, not bad

7. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

#287 ballplayer, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh...i agree.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

When CF prefers JB over a coach, you know he is REALLY bad.

11. Nook

Nook Member

A Silas/Bickerstaff nepotism co-head coach combo would be SICK.

1 person likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

No one prefers JB. :)

We, most of us anyways, want Silas/Hollins because they're not Mike D'Antoni.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

^^^
    [PREMIUM POST]

(trademark by Trader_J)

14. Asian Sensation

We're gonna hand over the keys to an another unproven guy? Who's also the son of a daddy who couldn't coach either? Hard to get excited over this move if true even if Hollins is included.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...hard-at-Stephen-Silas-paired-with-7853674.php

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Maybe, but probably not, because Kerr has ties to D'Antoni as well.

Their (alleged) interest really could be anything. Genuine (most likely)... doing him or his agent a favor.... or a ploy to make the Rockets hire him, instead of D'Antoni. :)

In any case, I think he's the obvious choice. He might suck -- you never know for sure with assistants, but at the very least there's some upside with him.

17. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

This, it seems like Silas is somewhat intelligent, but to me he just comes off too much like "one of the guys" to be a HC to me. It's the same problem that JB had, and I would expect a sharp transition period for Silas in realizing that a HC needs to assert his authority and discipline. It's probably the same reason why he has his strengths in development, because a developmental coach precisely needs to connect with his players.

Honestly, this whole "connects with your players" bit is a fine line in my book. Most of the top-tier coaches are more discipline/ego management oriented than they are "friends" with the players. Pat Riley, Rick Carlisle, Greg Popovich, Tom Thibodeau, etc. all demand respect through hard work. While you don't want players to tune you out, you can't be their drinking buddy either (looking at you JB).

Mike D'Antoni's might be similar to Scott Skiles, he might seem "authoritarian" but he doesn't have the player's ear over the long term because he doesn't build relationships. Also, he obviously doesn't commit to defense.

A great coach is an intricate combination of skills (my own list)
    1) He knows how/when to push his players while maintaining their respect.
    2) He has enough intellect to come up with creative strategies to both fit his personnel and counter opposing team strategies.
    3) He maintains structure and discipline throughout the process, which gives players a set expectation and set of rules to play under. He is clear in punishment/reward
    4) Players respond to him and want to go to war for him.

Mike Dantoni really only shows me part of 2, with half of 3 (on offense)
    Stephen Silas may have 2 down, but 1 will probably be an adjustment as a new coach. 4 is likely

I wanted Messina because I believe some people have that unique capacity to balance several things together. Oh well, just have to hope that Silas/Hollins or Dantoni/Bzdelik can figure it out.

2 people like this.
  18. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

Silas is well liked and respected at both GSW and in Charlotte.

For GSW it would be to replace Luke as he Lead Assistant and a step up from his position in Charlotte.

I think Silas would be better than MDA.

Not sure about Hollins though. Although I have read that he has maintained a relationship with Conley, so I don't know if that's of importance.

Nets players did not really seem to care for Hollins and his style.

19. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

If Houston loses out on Silas to another team for an assistant coach position I think it tells you more about how this organisation is seen around the league. To me this was leaked just so Les can make it look like he considered other before hiring D'Antoni.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We gotta get Doc and Austin Rivers to Houston too