1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Breaking News] EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo disappears from radar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, May 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

In spite of this, you really shouldn't be. Think about the number of flights that fly out of or into CDG alone. And then think about the number of flights that fly globally in a single day. The odds of any sort of incident (whether terrorism or any other accident) happening on a plane is extremely low. Far lower than any other mode of transport.

This is the point of terrorism. To strike fear in people even when logically there's no reason to actually be more worried. I fly through CDG all the time for work and I'll probably be there next month. Think about the 70s and 80s, when hijackings were more common, its actually safer today to fly.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They've found the wreckage and US Security officials believe it was a bomb.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

CDG might just have one of the worst layouts in the world. The way it's designed, massively long lines are inevitable, and God forbid you have more than 2-3 flights landing within the same time range. However, you're right, the security theater isn't any different from anywhere else, and it's especially not as ridiculous as ours here in the US.

And I just saw that authorities think it was a bomb. WTF

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How does a US security official get to see it before egypt of france?

6. justtxyank

They are just leaking whereas Egypt and France aren't leaking to US news agencies yet.

Remember that security officials with all of these countries are seeing way more information than what the press has.

Last night the press thought the plane just disappeared from radar. Turns out the radar showed it essentially tumbling erratically. Early this morning (like 2AM) US security people had already leaked to CNN that it was likely an act of terrorism based on what they saw.

7. Buck Turgidson

Also, the NTSB and FBI are the top plane crash investigatory agencies in the world and are routinely brought in on incidents that have nothing to do with the US.

8. justtxyank

Us is now saying strong indications of explosion on plane

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If I were you I would just be glad it's not the airport I flew into Paris the last time. I think it was North of the city but you had to ride a bus into the city from over an hour away. Pretty much sucked.

10. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

http://flightaware.com/live/

For sense of scale on how many flights there are in the air in the world at this very minute.