1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets move toward formal offer to Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, May 19, 2016.

1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Honestly can't believe this is the solution they came up with.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Would be a great hire.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Can confirm second interview with Rockets. It is today. Will be his first meeting with Leslie Alexander. <a href="https://t.co/6MRUQSw9ob">https://t.co/6MRUQSw9ob</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/733329893123969024">May 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's who taught JLin everything he knows about defense. :grin: Watch out, the planets are starting to align for a Tinmanic total protonic reversal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jyaLZHiJJnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Let's go Steph...?

6. rockets13champs

If im stephen silas i kill this interview. I have to have to destroy this interview.
    Its between him and dantoni.
    Except the fans have silas's blessing.
    I want silas

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Please reconsider, Les. Silas would be a hire that wouldn't get anyone excited, but he also wouldn't cause the majority of the fanbase to freak out. He's been an assistant coach in the NBA for the last decade and a half and is in his early 40's. He'd be the kind of coach who could potentially oversee a rebuilding project and youth movement should that be the road the Rockets wind up taking. No way in hell the 65 year-old Mike D'Antoni is interested in or the right fit for that.

8. rockets13champs

I feel its Dantoni as Head Silas as top assistant

id rather have

Silas as head, Dantoni as top assistant

9. hakeemthagreat

Steve Nash the assistant? I'm not mad at that

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ha, exactly the same as McHale. :)

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Well, he could always be fired 11 games into the season....

12. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

You have a very good point here. And I thought I was with you, but as I think through it more, I think I'm coming 'round. Here's my thought process (and yes, you could use this logic regardless of which primary skill you want in the head coach).

Think about how well we did last year--JB was able to focus on Defense, which is his specialty, because he wasn't the head coach. However, McHale is not an offensive guru, but rather a true "peoples' coach," which we really didn't need, but our defense was good enough to take us quite far.

Imagine if we had a very offensively proficient coach (regardless if they are head or assistant) and and very defensively proficient coach (again, regardless of head or assistant, just a counter to the other guy). This would be a pretty big win in that we have someone to focus on both.

So, from that perspective, I don't care if the head coach is offensive-minded or defensive-minded, so long as we have both. And D'Antoni is very qualified and has a great tack record for running great offenses. This gives me at least a little hope for a better year next year.

All that said, the one thing we still lack is #2 in your list. Perhaps if the chemistry is better and we're winning, you won't need this as much, but I'd still prefer someone who can hold the accountability card.

13. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

Could be a good thing. Rebuild through the draft. Maybe there'll be an Hakeem clone by then that we could build around? That depends on us having draft picks in which to rebuild with...

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Honestly with as many gut punches as the Rockets fan base has taken should we expect anything less than this to happen-

-D'Antoni gets hired
    -Dwight opts in
    -Rockets find NO takers in trades & elect to keep him
    -Morey strikes out in FA with Durant and Horford, etc.
    -Harden comes into camp out of shape again
    -Dwight and Mike D butt heads again
    -Drama Drama Drama
    -Another season of Dwightmare
    -Corey Brewer plays 20mpg (because D'Antoni = fast = gotta have more Brewer)
    -New rookies and young players are stifled on bench again and do not grow

Should we really expect anything else at this point? I feel like this Summer Morey and Les are doubling down on their identity last season, and are stubborn enough to believe they are actually successful.

The only way you can possibly be pleasantly surprised next season is if we set our expectations this low... honestly can it get any worse than this? And honestly is it so hard to see all this NOT happening? The only thing I see as unlikely is Dwight opting in, and then again stranger things have happened.

How did the Rockets take a fan who was previously labeled as an apologist, one of the biggest Les supporters, and turn him into whatever kind of Rockets fan you can now call me??? You wouldn't have been able to find a more diehard fan than myself, and I can't believe this is what I've come to expect. Now we know how Kings and Nets fans feel.

15. GMNot

GMNot Member

I didn't have time to read through most of the posts here, but did get the sense that many here will be excited if MDA is hired as coach.

This has the earmarks of past "planning." There is "some" high profile free agent you want to go after (Durant), so you try to create an attractive "model" home. It is assumed Howard isn't part of the plan.

Success in professional sports is more of a "let's see if Mikey likes it," MO rather than anyone knowing for sure when they've got that winning combination of players and coaching staff. Great players can make average coaches look like geniuses. Sure reasoning is a part, no matter how off-base or shaky it might be. But, in the end, it's mostly hit or miss. Think of all the signings in pro sports where teams and fans think they've finally got that franchise player... or coach... and it just never lived up to the expectations.

I'm convinced that most owners and GM's aren't experts at knowing what "recipe" is "the one." In this particular case, I think it's pretty easy to see why this seems to be happening. The Howard / Harden experiment didn't work, so it's time to move on to the next signing of "names": D-Antoni and then Durant (if possible),

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What is dwight Howards opt in / opt out deadline?

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We will be mediocre while he is here, he will resign early, then we will go straight into the lottery, just like the last three teams he coached..

18. krouchchocolate

Whatever happened to vogel?!?!

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

July 1st

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

D'Antoni couldn't make it work with 4 first ballot HOFers...

Durant will not come here