1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If Folty can locate his pitches now... disaster.

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Straily 5 innings of no runs and a 3.05 eRA

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Carter hit #11 today boy do we miss him in our lineup. Just saying

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dan Straily threw five scoreless innings in the Reds' 9-4 romp of the Phillies on Sunday.

Straily walked three and gave up six hits, but the Phillies weren't able to do much damage in high-leverage situations until later in the game. (They scored all four runs against the Cincinnati bullpen). Straily struck out six and now boasts a 2-1 record with a 3.05 ERA and 36 strikeouts over 41 1/3 innings this season. He showed promise in his Oakland days and seems to be putting it all together in Cincinnati. Though control remains somewhat of an issue.

*******************​

Chris Carter went 3-for-4 with two RBI in the Brewers' victory over the Padres on Sunday.

Carter struck out looking in his first at-bat, but he hit a solo homer in the third -- his 11th long ball of the year -- and then singled in the fifth and smacked an RBI double in the bottom of the seventh. The big slugger has an impressive .912 OPS through 37 games this season, and he's on pace for 47 homers and 111 RBI.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Last year I said this guy was good but never got a chance to prove it. This year in ST his last outing was impressive but was traded away

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Thing is, if he had stayed, his 2016 season might be just like 2015. Just like on occasion we pick up somebody who did terrible on their previous club (Harris comes to mind) and prospers here, so the opposite is going to be true as well.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep. Pretty much a phenomenon in all sports.

Some guys relish the fresh start as an opportunity to work on their games and prove everybody wrong. You cannot extrapolate that any of these guys would have gone on to do the exact same thing if they had been retained.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Also sometimes the instruction they receive from different coaches leads to different approaches . I'm not faulting the Astros here , just saying that other teams may have different strategies as to how to coach certain guys . Also hearing the input from different coaches as opposed to the same guy over and over can also make an impact . This is why players often flourish with a change of scenery . Sometimes it's also just luck . If carter keeps it up throughout a whole season then I may fault the Astros for not trying to coach him in a different way ... But for now he has gone through this type of strech before .

Again I think most people's frustration with the trades / players lost is that the guys we've gotten in return haven't always played up to expectation . When you trade future value to try and improve the current club if the players you get don't help you immediately the trade starts to look bad . It makes it even worse if the guys you let go of start producing earlier than expected .

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Or confidence

He should had started for the astros instead of Wojo and Hernandez
    Roberto was a good long reliever, but Straily was good for the a's and had some good whips

I am not surprised he is having a good year

Today I saw him pitch, and his fastball was 91

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I was never a big fan of straily , but I think his time here was definitely impacted by injury was it not ?

For me wojo and straily are pretty much the same guy . Straily having a bit better stuff but worse command ( while here )

I'm not sweating the "loss " of straily . It's the higher upside guys that I really miss having . Folty , Vince , hader ... And that's just on the pitching side .

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

The problem with Straily was homers. He usually had a low whip but allowed homers

He was very good with the a's and then traded to the Cubs. I thought luthnow got a nice pitcher in the trade but they gave the job to other pitchers and he struggled a bit in the minors. In a few starts here he had an inning that killed him but he was not that bad. I think what he needed was confidence

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

No doubt

Hinch used Straily wrong and ruined him

The downfall of the Astros started there

If only somehow we could get Straily back, all would be right

I mean Straily would replace who in the rotation?

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What did Gammons tweet after his May 2 start?

14. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Who wants to be sad? From BP's minor league update yesterday:

Josh Hader, LHP, Milwaukee Brewers (Double-A Biloxi): 6 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K. Had a scout recently call him the second-best left-handed pitching prospect in baseball. That’s a lot of fun, too.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As I said in the other thread... the Orioles must be killing themselves. At least the Astros still have the guy they traded him for.

16. CometsWin

VV has 10 k's with 0 runs through 5 against the Marlins. It's just the Marlins doe.

17. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

I can always count on you for all of the latest former Astros news/stats/high-light reels.

18. CometsWin

That's probably going to happen when you click on the Former Astros Tracking Thread.

19. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Indeed. And your constant self-righteous indignation is icing on the cake!

20. CometsWin

You're the one that sounds angry. I'm posting about players and you're posting about me posting about players. Mkay.