1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Car Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, May 3, 2016.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

lol could be true ...if there was no light signal and traffic and speed limit

more likely he would arrive in the same time as grandma if she wanted to catch JR her favorite show on time , with the quality build and such, luck is needed to not be towed to the nearest garage ..

btw , my 1st car out of high-school was a Z300 twinTurbo

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

I recently purchased a 2016 trail premium. I'm getting 17.8 mpg, which isn't great, but I expected about that going in.

Overall, the ride quality is really smooth and it is quieter than I thought it would be. It's not a Lexus, but I found the interior to be rather nice.

The 4x4 functions literally saved my butt during the Tax Day floods as I had to cross a field to get home. I got stuck in the mud, and once I shifted to 4x4, the truck just pulled itself out of the muck effortlessly.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wtf did I just read. Horrible joke/diss attempt bro lol.

Cool car though, I'm sure you treated it like a fridge and got no enjoyment.;)

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My nephew who is starting grad school is looking for a car for around 15K. The only requirement is that it is super reliable. Resale is not an issue because he will probably drive it into the ground and then get something nice for himself. Any suggestions. We are currently looking at a newish Mazda3.

5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lmao treated it like a fridge

6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Go jap my friend, that's what im doing

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The word is Japanese, dude.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Any problems with your S5?

Have a 2011 Q5 that is conveniently crapping out right after my 50K warranty expired. First my ignition coils were failing but these were inexpensive ($25/piece) fixes. But literally 2 days later, my alternator failed and car completely died in the middle of the road. Alternator is $600 and will also need a brand new battery. Will likely drive until my 65K service and trade it in.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Honda Fit perhaps

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Love the Honda fit, it's great value for the all the standard features, ride quality, interior quality, gas mileage, and passenger/cargo space. Very practical car. Although roxbox, I don't know how much your nephew would like the looks since it's a small hatch, but I'm a young man and I would rock that car with pride.

You can get one a new lx automatic for about 16-17k.

Mazda 3 is also good to look at. Honda civic is basically everything the Fit is in a sedan for 2k more.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

How old is the current gen Fit?

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Refreshed/remodeled in 2015

13. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

How do you guys like the Macan. Any problems or regrets?

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

Have you considered a Kenmore or a Whirlpool?

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Any idea on what I should expect to buy a car from, based off MSRP? Should I be looking for 1k below? 3k? Etc...

Ford is having a sale on an Escape for 6k off msrp. Just makes me wonder.

I want to make a couple offers to different dealers, but not sire where to start....

I'm not necessarily interested in the Escape, just an example.

I'm more interested in a Rav4, CRV, or Forester.

Also, what's your take on buying vs leasing? The only way I'd lease is if I didn't put anything down, and I was strongly considering buying the car outright at the end of the lease. Just not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Any input is appreciated.

16. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Go to truecar.com and look at what the averages are. Go to different dealers or email them via edmunds or other car buying websites for quotes. Find the lowest quotes, forward the email to other dealers and ask them if they can do better to earn your business.

Japanese cars aren't marked up as much as American or German cars, so you probably won't see a $6k off msrp on a CRV/Rav4.

Obtaining a good deal on a new purchase isn't too much work, the difficult part is when you're trading in a vehicle and negotiating with them to give you a fair value.

Most dealers make their profits off warranties, service, add ons and financing. New vehicle sales isn't where they make their money anymore.

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

Well...... I think the best way to go about it is to decide what you want to pay for the vehicle and what's a comfortable monthly payment for you. You can also let Ford know that you honestly want a Japanese make but that if the numbers are right and you like the car that you are willing to settle for the right numbers....

Pay what you want to pay, if they cant or wont accommodate your budget then move along and wait for the right deal.

The escape's msrp is right around 23,000 base model. I don't quite believe you will get a $6,000 discount unless its a 2015 but if I was dealing this car off the msrp for myself I wouldn't pay more than 20,500 including tax and title..... With good credit your payments will probably be around $325-350... Don't ignore one number over the other. Both numbers have to make sense or you walk.....

ALSO!!! They will make you wait as long as possible to get you frustrated and desperate. Make sure you have plenty of time to sit around and wait for the "manager" to hear your offer and make a decision. Good luck...... Post pictures of your new car :D

18. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

This is very good advice. Pretty much how I bought my last two vehicles. I decide exactly what I want (be very specific as far as options you are and are not interested in), so I can get apples to apples comparison prices. Then I email every dealer within the range I'm willing to drive for their best "out the door price." Within 24 hours I have about 20 quotes. About half the sales reps come of as people I don't want to deal with (the ones who want to play games), so I then ask the remaining 10 if they can beat the best quote I have thus far. At this point I decide where to buy based on price and the feeling I have about the rep and dealership.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

To add to what chow said...

I'd create a new email address and use as little of your personal info as possible. Most dealerships are owned by just a handful of parent companies who are excellent at tracking your internet activity.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

For my car purchase, I went through my insurance company new car internet buying program...which sends out requests to dealers to get already marked down "best" pricing through these so-called dealership internet sales consultants. In hindsight, it didn't seem like such a good idea and I may have rather just gone to the dealer straightaway to negotiate on my own. The internet program automatically just decided to send my details to four dealers in my region and those mf-ers hounded me. In fact, even after I told them to leave me alone as the car was purchased already, they still have my information floating around their dealer to different guys who didn't get the message who keep inquiring. Luckily, I sent all their calls to my spam phone I don't use and just delete their emails. But, some of these guys were getting pissy because I ignored them and went through my local dealership. And, at least one pulled some major BS after he knew I purchased the car...trying to pretend like he would have sold me the car for some bs pricing because he knew I wouldn't be coming in. It was quite funny. It took everything in my power not to reply to this jackass and throw some expletives his way.

These guys were supposed to respond to this new car buying program request with pricing offers. Yet, only one did and it happened to be my local dealer. I researched the offer and found it to be a good deal. So, I worked with him. The rest of these guys wanted to lure me in to their dealerships to negotiate...I'm sure with the expectation that once they got me in...they could get me to buy through them. The whole point of the program was I was supposed to receive pricing offers from these guys through the program. I didn't want to go down the road of playing four dealerships (three of them were nowhere near me but in the "region") off of each other to maybe save a little money especially since my car was about to break down. I wanted a no fuss no hassle pricing offer and that's not really what happened. It kind of defeated the purpose of the program imo.

#160 Surfguy, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016