1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsmetalspd, May 4, 2016.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Good post JayZ. I don't think Morey feels the same about DMO as many in here since he traded him for a 1st round draft pick at the trade deadline and hasvtried to acquire a new PF in free agency the last two off seasons, but I see your point about his potential. Beasely's turnaround and cheap contract seem ideal for the rockets going into this offseason. The most important aspect for me in acquiring a new coach for this current team is obviously stressing defense ect, but making Harden accountable in playing both sides of the ball and valuing possessions much more is someone I'd very interested in.

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Mark Jackson head coach and Battier Head Defensive Coach...

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The title gave me a much needed chuckle:

https://spacecityscoop.com/2016/05/10/houston-rockets-daily-rocket-science-young-coach-less/

Houston Rockets Daily Rocket Science: The Young and The Coach ‘Less’
    by Coty Davis 6 hours ago

The coaching search for the Houston Rockets has just gone from bad to worst in a matter of days. No disrespect to JB Bickerstaff but the Rockets have been without a coach since November.

Over the past several weeks, Houston has missed out on Tom Thibodeau and Dave Joerger. Two coaches who have experienced success with their former teams. Thibodeau, a former coach of the year winner with the Chicago Bulls in 2011.

Of note, please check out the excellent article by SCS very own Andre Cantalogo who wrote of 6 potential head coach candidates ranking them in order of who would be the best fit. (bottom of page)

Despite having Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, and Frank Vogel still on the market. According to Ryan Phillips of CBS Sports, The Rockets are set to meet with TNT’s analyst Kenny Smith later this afternoon.

Kenny Smith will reportedly interview with the Houston Rockets for their vacant head coaching position on Tuesday. The Rockets might be trying to catch lightning in a bottle by giving Smith a chance. NBA teams seem to be looking for fresh perspectives from coaching hires in recent years. The Knicks recently tried that with Derek Fisher and the Warriors seem to have struck gold with Steve Kerr. Smith would just be the most recent example.
    The former Rocket who won two championships in Houston has been part of Turner Sports‘ Inside the NBA since his retirement in 1997.

Although he has illustrated great basketball knowledge as an analyst, coaching this dysfunctional Rockets team is not the job for someone with no coaching experience.

Sure, it worked for Steve Kerr two years ago, yet he was heading to a team where Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green were ready to release their potential.

So Smith, please leave the Rockets’ coach vacancy to someone with experience. Someone like David Blatt. After ESPN‘s Marc Stein reported that the Rockets met with Blatt Monday afternoon, House of Houston‘s Brian Patterson shared his thoughts on the interview.

This news comes as not too surprising as the Rockets have opened the floodgates in terms of compiling a list of potential candidates to coach this basketball team. But I like the intrigue of Blatt being able to take the reins of this team.

Blatt would not be the first option for many, but I would love to see him get a second chance at coaching in the NBA. Despite his dismissal from the Cleveland Cavaliers, Blatt knows basketball. He is one of the most successful international coaches in basketball history.

Even with the turmoil in Cleveland, he was still able to coach his team to the NBA Finals. So do not overlook Blatt. I’ll take him any day before Kenny Smith.

With Smith in Houston gearing up for his interview, he will have a chance to bond with one of his “potential players” later on tonight. According to David Barron of the Houston Chronicle, Dwight Howard will be a guest analyst Tuesday night on Inside the NBA.

Howard, whose inability to lead the Rockets to the NBA Finals has made him a frequent target of the TNT analysts, was last seen on TNT as part of the spoof “Fishing in Cancun” postcard after the Rockets were eliminated from the playoffs by the Golden State Warriors.

Howard’s personality should fit well alongside Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley. However, do not get too excited thinking you have a chance to witness Howard and Shaquille O’Neal on the same set. Howard will be a substitute for Shaq. Who alongside Ernie Johnson have the night off.

Here's the link to that other article on coaches:

http://spacecityscoop.com/2016/05/09/grading-houston-rockets-top-six-head-coach-candidates/

4. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

This is purely an opinion piece with terrible grammar.

When have "Two coaches who have experienced success with their former teams", or "Thibodeau, a former coach of the year winner with the Chicago Bulls in 2011" ever been sentences?

Here's a great example: "Despite having Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, and Frank Vogel still on the market." Yeah, that's a sentence to this author.

It was so poorly written that while I was writing up this response I noticed that I couldn't help but do the same things before I edited it.

I'd comment on the content of this piece, except that the awful writing took me out of the message.

Back on topic of the thread, I wouldn't mind trying Kenny Smith as head coach, surrounding him with good coaches. As another forum user recently said, the idea is to find a great coach, not a good one. And only bad, mediocre and good coaches are available with experience. Great coaches are still with the teams that found them or are retired.

5. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

He even spelled his own name incorrectly. Coty's mom for COTY. C U next Tuesday everyone.

6. bmd

bmd Member

One thing that's intriguing about Kenny Smith is that he has a personality where he could get players properly motivated and focused.

And really, when you are at the NBA level, that's a lot of the battle. The season is a grind and often times it's less X's and O's and more about keeping the team focused and motivated.

I think Kenny has that kind of personality where he can get through to players.

I think Kenny could be a good coach, but I'd be worried about his inexperience.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . .. I think Kenny to SAWFT to be a coach
    I don't know if he has that personality

Rocket River

8. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Kenny Smith or JVG head coach.

Shane Battier head defensive coach.

Or JVG coach... with Kenny Smith and Shane Battier as assistant coaches etc...

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Soooo how'd the interview go???? Insiders??? Sauces???

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Morey and Les were ambushed by Charles, Kenny, EJ, Shaq and Kevin McHale with their cameras. They mocked thm about analytics, owing money and the firing of the Celtics legend. Watch it tonight on the preshow on TNT.

11. Marteen

Marteen Member

"Come on, guys. Ya'll don't really need me, do ya? The Gone Fishin' segment needs me!"

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

[Calvin Watkins] Jeff Hornacek and Kenny Smith interviewed for the Houston Rockets job today according to a source.

13. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Just like old times:

Kenny Smith as head coach.
    Sam Cassell as assistant coach who runs the team during the 4th quarter.

2 people like this.
  14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The fact that Kenny coaching wasn't brought up last night makes me think the interview wasn't too promising

15. Pete the Cheat

haha, this is fantastic

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Barkley: I don't think he'll take that job. No one says I want to take on the Titanic, other than Dave Joerger. He's a heck of a coach but to take on Sacramento, that's stupid. Kenny is not stupid. You don't take a bad job. Kenny has a great job. Why would he take over the Houston Rockets? You don't take over bad job when you have good job. You take a bad job when you don't have a job.

I know he was gonna interview. I told him, why take a bad job? Take the Minnesota or Wizards job. Those are two good jobs. Kings & Rockets are not good jobs. Taking those jobs, that's just stupid.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Barkley is crazy. It's fine to think the Rockets are not an elite team (I got flamed on here this offseason for putting them a tier below the elite lol) but to put them in the category of Sacramento? Goodness.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nice.

When did this Barkley conversation happen?

1 person likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Nobody says I'm going to take on the Titanic. Other than Dave Joerger.&quot; - Charles Barkley on whether Kenny Smith would take Rockets job</p>&mdash; Andrew Perloff (@andrewperloff) <a href="https://twitter.com/andrewperloff/status/730393632189059072">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

apparently on the Dan Patrick Show today. It's nice that he's continued his barrage against the organization. Rockets job is definitely the second best opening this off-season after the Wolves and honestly it could be even better. No one cares that the Wizards missed the playoffs because they have John Wall and Beal. Well, Harden is much better than Wall and Beal is unable to stay healthy currently. The Rockets have the ability to sign multiple guys this year and finally build around Harden correctly. People ignore the fact that the Wolves still can't make the playoffs with their young core. They could be the next OKC or they could be Portland with Brandon Roy/ Greg Oden, potential is just that.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

Tracy MerGady as the water boy because he's an expert on watering down.