1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steven Curry is ruining the nba

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by icecreamman, May 10, 2016.

1. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

icecreamman is Mark Jackson. Stephen Curry is ruining basketball. Nice to have a celeb on board!

2. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Has the change that Curry has incited a good or bad thing for the NBA?

On one hand, it's a glorification of skills over athleticism. That's a good thing. There is something of beauty in good jump shot form and also great ball movement and off-ball movement (even though illegal screens are a part of this) to get those shots.

In the same time, the NBA became a powerhouse in the 80's to the present because of athleticism. It's not necessarily "beautiful" but it is awe inspiring to watch amazing dunking ability and double clutch layups, a la Dr. J, Nique, Glide, Drex... even lower end allstars like Sprewell with his tomahawks and Shawn Kemp.

Curry is shifting the NBA away from this style of play. Fans still love the athletic prowess of Westbrook, but it is becoming less and less.

To-be-honest though, Curry gets too much credit for the changing face of the NBA. It's the analytics movement that gave birth to the idea that the 3 point shot is an efficient shot. In traditional terms, it's the opposite. 3 pointers are low percentage shots. If anything, Morey has a lot more to do with the new NBA. Curry (and Harden) are to polar opposites in image and popularity, but both are embodiments of the analytics movement.

Curry didn't change the NBA, he is just the most popular product of this change.

3. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Why didn't Jeremy Lin win the MVP? Stop hatin'.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The hate is strong, damn breh.

5. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I'm surprised they didn't talk about adding a 4 point shot. :rolleyes:

6. i3artow i3aller

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/152131678" width="500" height="500" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/152131678">

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

icecreamman is either a blatant troll or has some personal vendetta against Steph Curry. He/she should not have thread starting privilege.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't know man. Hard to look at the Kings and think the MVP shouldn't have gone to Boogie.

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Who is Steven Curry? The newest Curry bro? I agree, he needs to prove himself before getting MVP. He's nowhere near as good as Stephen, who just posted one of the 10 best seasons in NBA history while shooting 50/40/90 and scoring an unprecedented 30 ppg doing so. Give him a few years and he will get there.

10. CertifiedTroll

Tbh icecreammans thread may have been the bright point of the season.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Larry Bird made 649 3 pointers in his 13 year career.

Curry made 402 threes this year alone.

This season, Curry made more three-pointers than the average NBA team for the first 25 years that the three-point shot existed.

He is seriously just awful. Should play in China.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Curry attempted more 3 pointers in the past 2.5 seasons than Larry Bird attempted his entire career. I always see this Bird and Curry 3's comparison brought up as if it's supposed to be eye opening. Larry was not a 3 point shooter. He wouldn't be Larry Bird if he just sat back shooting 8 to 11 3 point attempts per game.

The comparison should remain with Ray Allen and Reggie Miller.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Fixed

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The funny thing about this post is that it could actually be taken seriously, lol. Who wants to watch all those three's all day? Kinda boring...

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Right now, Curry is the same level player as Bird. Allen and Miller are not the same level as Bird or Curry (who will be there if he is not yet as now). Also Jordan made less three in his entire career than Curry in one year. Curry is just so good.

16. smr6

smr6 Member

[​IMG]

Which one is Stephen and which one is Steven?

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Steven Curry is just fine. Jaime Harden is the one ruining the NBA.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Guaranteed Steph Curry is a thoroughly average to mediocre NBA player if his name was "Steven Curry"

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The NBA is being ruined by horrible GM's and low talent players. We're lucky to have the few superstars we have.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Again. You're comparing a player who shoots 11 3's a game to another non 3 point shooter in Jordan and going WOW when you compare 3 pointers made. Curry getting majority of his buckets from 3 is not as impressive as Bird and Jordan averaging the same points with only 1 to 3 three pointers made per game IMO. I know today's NBA fans will disagree. To the new NBA, a wild 3 point shot is THE highlight to watch, i just don't find it to be that exciting..especially when there are other players doing those same highlights shooting from 4 steps behind the line. It was honestly more exciting back when Kobe and T-Mac were doing it from super deep, because no one else was really doing it. It is now the shot every player wants to take to get the crowd on it's feet and gain momentum.

Curry is 28 years old already. MJ averaged Currys career high this season for his entire career. Bird led a team of nobodies to the NCAA championship game and turned a 20 win Celtics team into a 61 win ECF team as a rookie, won it all as a 2nd year player. Led his team to 60 or more wins in 6 out of 9 years(56 and 59 and 57 wins were the other records) with 3 titles in 4 tries. ECF 8 times in 9 years. All of this as he was starting to hit his scoring prime at 31 years old and then his back fell apart on him.

Curry is 3 years away from Birds age when he was pretty much done already. He's got 3 point records. 2 MVPs, 0 FMVPs and all of that comes in the past 2 seasons. Before that he was just a great shooter not even considered a top 10 player. So no, i disagree that Curry is Bird's level as a player in terms of career. For this season, of course. He's had a season for the ages and if that's what you meant, cool.

I dreamed of Curry on the Rockets when he was with Davidson. Who doesn't want an electrifying pure shooter? At this point, I'd trade anyone in Rockets franchise history not named Hakeem for Curry(i'm not a big Moses Malone fan), so i'm really not trying to hate, just trying to keep people who are prisoners of the moment be a little more grounded. He would need 6 more seasons of this seasons production to be even considered a top 10 player, much less being argued as GOAT like i've seen some posters on here and youtube argue. ESPN ranking him 4th greatest PG and #23 overall already is absurd to me.