1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Source of a Source: Morey is Out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyT43, May 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

Why would Morey be interviewing coaches if he's gonna get fired?

2. Polishdelight

Polishdelight Member

Why would we fire Morey? Yeah we had a down year this past season, but he's formed some of the best teams since Hakeem...

3. malakas

malakas Member

Of course it is about power. Otherwise why would jvg or other coaches recently demand gm control?
    The Rockets like most other teams actually work with the coaches and allow input on decisions. But now the coaches demand control.
    A fantastic duo would be everyone allowed to do his job. The gm serving as an assistant to the coach is not a duo. Its a boss and his assistant.

Oh and being a good basketball mind has little to do with being an actual good gm.

Isnt it hillarious? Now smh Pop is pictured like a gm too while he himself talks about the cooperation and the value of the actual gm Buford. The spurs allow input from multiple people and make decisions together its not Pop the tyrant who does whatever he wishes.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can understand that people rarely talk about Buford because he kept

himself hidden, well, behind the camera while Pops is getting interviewed

and can be watched on the bench making faces or commanding.

He does his job and stays away social media like Twitter.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I've wondered if Morey himself even wants to continue in Houston

Make no doubt about it, Morey has made some big glaring mistakes. Mistakes directly attributed to his own philosophy.

Though having an owner who gives conflicting direction of "Will Spend to Contend" but never overspends, and "Reload no Rebuild" without tanking, it would seem to limit a GM's direction. (I don't see a coach GM benefitting much from that either.)

But perhaps Morey sees other settings that can allow a little more flexibility for approach.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is why I also get tired of people praising Les and always saying he is willing to go in to the luxury tax. Make no mistake, this team is a business first and foremost and hobby he can occupy himself with along with the "big names". Bottom owner in the league.

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st ... ;)

8. hakeemthagreat

You act like its assured somebody will hire him lol. His reputation is among the worst, he comes across arrogant at times, and his track record doesn't match his enormous ego.
    There's a good chance nobody will hire Morey if he gets fired

9. malakas

malakas Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    So in your mind Morey has a bad reputation?
    Name me 10 better gms with better reputation and track record now in the league.
    If you cant its simply because Morey is one of the best and teams will be lining up to hire him the minute hes out of here.
    Especially New Orleans and Memphis that right now have their gms in the hot seat.

10. Charles Barkley

Are you for real? Jeszze, man. Morey is just a puppet to the ownership and hasn't had the ability to go after all the players he wants. Look at when rockets got Jeremy lin, you think that was a morey decision? Hell no, bro. That was ownership.

Rocket fans better hope lessly alexander sells the team or you got no chance.

#251 Charles Barkley, May 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  11. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Let's go; get it f'in done.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

If you are not yet aware of it, TJones had a lot and a rare injury, Ariza is still a good player (i'm not one of those who necessarily want to dump him) and Brewer had a great season last year, also a McHale's player...you know...

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Pops' situation is a bit different.

Pops was the GM before he became the coach '96. They promoted Buford to Assistant GM in '99 and GM in 2002.

I'm sure Buford had a strong hand in the personnel prior but that first 1-2 championships team was mostly with Pop making the final call on personnel. I'm willing to bet Pop still has a strong say today.

14. basketballholic

Pops is the boss. Period. Buford works in lock step with Pops. Pops doesn't report to Buford. He's the boss.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I doubt Morey is fired but anything is possible with Les, who is known to change his mind rather quickly.

Morey would have no difficulty getting another job as GM.

Popovich makes every single decision of prominence within the Spurs organization. He is the boss and has more power (rightfully so) than any no owner in the NBA. Even the ownership lets him do what he wants.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe any future coach needs to have authority on the court, but I'm not in favor of a combined GM, coach role for anyone in Houston.

The head coach should give his input into selecting players from the draft, in free agency, and trades, but the final decision should be that of the GM. The GM, his staff and the head coach need to work very closely with each other.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The NBA trend is changing to a single person control organizational chart. It would not surprise me in the least if in some of the coaching interviews the coaches are expressing their desire to have total control. It could be to get the coach Les wants he might remove Murry.

I don't want that to happen, Mr. Moray seems quite adept at acquiring good players and controlling their longer term salary cap effects. The meshing of skills and personalities is not however, under his control, or even the coaches control completely. At some point it becomes the responsibility of the players to accept their roles and sublimate their egos for team goals. But that is a hard change since at every level it has been their drive and ego that has gotten them to this level.

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Lol nice try, but it already came out awhile back that Floyd has been filking for Trademarks for TMT50 :rolleyes:

19. Oracle

Oracle Member

IMHO, your view is the most accurate of the ones appearing here. Buford traded Pops favorite player George Hill for Kawhi Leonard. Pop didn't like that, but Buford was doing superb professional work there.

20. basketballholic

Pops was all over the Kawhi trade. It would not have happened without his approval. You're trying to revise history.