1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 UDFA Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...mp-day-1/086981e1-2ee7-431f-bc19-cb89b9484265

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1668203-day-one-houston-texans-rookie-mini-camp

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Sounds like Jordan Reed

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anderson has an uphill battle when it comes to being a starter. He automatically can't have the one spot locked down by Fiedorowicz because he can't block so he'll be fighting to supplant Ryan Griffin and the coaches like him and his 6'6 frame and his catching ability. He'll probably make the team because I see them carrying 3 TE's, but I don't think we'll see him much.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a year old, but if you want to get an idea who Anderson is with your own eyes...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dGWUqktIVRM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I like Stephen Anderson quite a bit...great hands, makes tough catches over the middle, can take a hit and hold onto the ball...

Make him our Jordan Reed...Linebackers will have a tough time with him.

6. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Both of those guys ****ing suck and have stones for hands. If anderson can atleast show he has dependable hands and can force missed tackles, he'll find his way onto the field.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Exactly. Once that kid learns the offense he will be a damn good weapon for this offense.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One undrafted rookie to keep an eye on is Cal tight end Stephen Anderson. Made several impressive catches today... <a href="https://t.co/asWjtSJHkE">https://t.co/asWjtSJHkE</a></p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/728687370254442496">May 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Texans intrigued by undrafted Cal tight end Stephen Anderson

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, sure. I mean, I like Anderson's hands too but let's not go crazy. He's really just a kind of big WR, he's not an NFL TE. Maybe he'll get the requisite assmass and strength one day but that won't be this season. Doesn't mean he can't be a target in the passing game, but he's worthless when it comes to blocking.

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I really hope we sign the punter. But what do we do with Lechler? Is there truly a competition for that spot?

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He can still play TE though...he's the same height as Jordan Reed and only 6 lbs lighter than him at this stage of their careers. They both hit 16 reps at the bench during the combine. In other words, height, weight, strength...they're very similar. However, Reed ran a 4.72 and Anderson ran a 4.63.

12. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Carter and Fairbairn need a shot at a TRUE open competition, as much as I like Lechler (Novak not so much) we need to lock up young talent over experience when its time.

Still upset we let Boswell go (twice!)

13. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Yeah, he was booming punts like nothing. Gonna be tough for him to make the team with Lechler not really declining but who knows

14. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Lechler really hasn't been as good as his reputation lately, I actually thought he was playing slightly injured...

Even so, I think he probably got enough left to hold off Carter.

On the other hand, I truly think Fairbairn is already, at the very least, equal to Novak right now and we should go with the future

15. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

He is a 3rd down tight end. Good hands but he is too small for blocking at 6' 3'' 230 pds.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ryan Griffin also had the exact same measurables as Gronk and even had a better vertical, 3-cone, and 20 yard shuttle coming out.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess we'll see, but it's actually more like 12-15 lbs difference between Reed and Anderson. If he comes out and shows he can block and get open then he's got a good chance at beating out Griffin, if he doesn't then he doesn't.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think Fairbairn has the edge on the job. I think he'll be our kicker.

Carter has a big leg, and may be better than a declining Lechler (yes, he is declining). I really like Lechler, though. I wish there was a way to keep Carter around for one year and give Lechler one last rodeo.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Maybe he gets "injured" during preseason and the Texans can put him on IR.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't expect Anderson to beat out griffin. I expect him to win a job as the third te and get time as a matchup