1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is yao ming's vertical?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by runninhorns, Sep 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. runninhorns

runninhorns Rookie

yao ming

anyone know what yao's verticle is? and also, how high do his hands reach at full extension?

2. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

He has a 43" vertical and his reach is 9'8".

3. sweetie

sweetie Member

for the record,he does not have a 43 inch vert. Sheesh. Francis has a 42. Mings is more like 15 inches.He can reach 9'8 but he said when jumping he can only reach 10'11. Thats a difference of 15 inches.Thus 15 inch vert.

Amare is 6'11. With a 36 inch vert. That means amare's fingers can reach about 14 inches higher than Mings. But Ming is smarter and better overall.

#3 sweetie, Sep 27, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks more than 15 inches to me.

5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

he needs to play grounded. who cares really about his vertical? it doesn't matter for him to be efficient

6. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

cannot you make your subject title more specific?

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know why I did it, but I did. With complimentary correct spelling provided at no extra charge.

8. Just B

Just B Member

Wow, if Yao did have a 43" vert, imagine how high up that guy could grab! He could be going well above the backboard!

But in reality, I think we should leave the big time jumping to Steve for now.;)

9. moomoo

moomoo Member

Hmmm, let's see...

From this picture, it looks like Yao's head is about one-basketball diameter below the rim.

The rim is 120" above the floor, Yao is 89" tall, and the diameter of a basketball is 9".

So Yao's head is 120" - 9" = 111" above the floor,

and he has elevated his head 111" - 89" = 22".

I know this is NOT how verticals are measured AT ALL, but it's better than just throwing out blind guesses.

22"? :eek: Yao can't even get up as high as Larry Bird could , according to this site, which lists Bird's reported vert as 28".

I've also read that 26" is average.

Translation? Because of Yao's smarts and skill, Yao has the potential to be "very good," but he will never add to that the fundamental athletic explosion needed to become among the "elite" centers in history.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hmm.

Seems like Dallas Thomas was successful in making you believe that cm = inches ;).

11. whats up

whats up Contributing Member

Check this out!

[​IMG]

12. Panda

Panda Member

I'd like to hear about Shaq's elevation to put things into perspective. Things are more comparable given close weight and height.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Listing Shaq's vertical would just confuse things. He's got freakish explosiveness and athleticism for his size and weight. It's amazing how high he gets on some of those alley-oops (provided he's in good shape)

14. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

15. Panda

Panda Member

Mixing up explosiveness with verticals is confusion in itself. The two things are related but not the same.

Explosiveness is about applying power to body mass in a short time, results in fast acceleration of the body. The same amount of power can be spread over a longer period, results in slower acceleration. However, since the amount of power remains constant, the displacement(the straight distance that a body travels) of the body is the same. Being a slower jumper can reach the same height of a fast jumper given the same amount of power. Of course, explosive jumpers give people an impression that they jump higher then slow jumpers, and they often do.

So my point is that verticals aren't a gauge of explosiveness and vice versa. Yao's explosiveness is without a doubt not up to par to Shaq's, but I hear that training the fast tweak muscles can remedy it to some point. As for Yao's verticals, I would like to know about Shaq's verticals as well to put things in perspective, given their similar height and weight.

16. Just B

Just B Member

No, we can't see his feet. It's a bad angle for judging a vertical, but it's a good action pic!

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Looks like Yao can touch the top of the square on the back board. So how high is that?

18. moomoo

moomoo Member

Top of the white square is 11' 6". Keep in mind that photo was taken from an angle below, not level with the top of the white square, so Yao's hand maybe only comes up to the bottom edge of the top white line of the square. Since the white line is 2" wide, that would make Yao's highest touch in this photo 11' 4".

To get his vertical, you'd have to get his standing reach and subtract it from 11' 4". Anyone know his standing reach?

As for Shaq,

According to this:

http://www.jumpusa.com/psj1.html

Shaq's vertical is 32" (or was, before he got fat), and his highest touch is 12' 4".

And in case it's not evident: yes, I have waaaay too much free time.

19. whats up

whats up Contributing Member

It matters little if the camera was far away and when he is about 6 inches from the backboard. From that angle, it looks like the photographer is at mid-court. Also, his fingers are about 3/4 inch above the white rectangle and his arm is tilted forward, not exactly veritcal.

I would say that his reach in that picture is 11' 6".

20. NClady

NClady Contributing Member