1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen]Van Gundy would like to coach Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 22, 2016.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

JVG can instill basic basketball IQ. So regardless of the end results, that is step 1. Something the Rockets lack. Then we can start thinking about leadership and if we need more offense.

It would be funny to see him go into depressed mode again though. He so different with the media as a coach then when he is in the media.

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

They are interviewing him this week. It might go well. I am sure the Rockets organization will talk to him about how will he develop an offense better than the last time he coached the Rockets. That is his only concern. Hope it goes well for him I wish him luck.

3. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

agree....this team needs ball IQ first

4. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

This is a really good post

5. by78

by78 Rookie

Give JVG the keys, plz. Make it absolutely clear to Maury to keep his fat fingers off coaching matters. More importantly, drill it into Harden's head that JVG is the one coach he can't mess with: if Harden is not happy with JVG, he can pack his bags and take his service elsewhere.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He might be okay for us. I recall that McGrady used to slack off on defense
    even under JVG without being admonished. He also used to miss a lot of jumpers, and JVG never told him to drive to the basket, when he had the opportunity.

Yao had to be guarded when he came out of the paint, so there was no excuse for the lack of execution on Tracy's part.

Spree and Camby did a great job on offense, and defended well too. We need that in Houston.

JVG's biggest problem is micromanaging every possession. We can't afford that.

#226 saleem, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This should be the attitude with whom ever they hire....

T_Man

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

From my recollection McGrady was by far the most engaged on defense under JVG, I thought he started slacking on that end under Adelman, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

And I agree that I have some concerns with him offensively, but out of the available coaches, I'm not sure anyone has a better shot at getting Harden engaged on defense than him.

9. Victorious

Victorious Member

what about that chris finch guy? wasn't he being groomed to be the eventual head coach?

10. dream2franchise

High praise of Finch in this (excellent) article. I always thought he'd get a shot ahead of JBB but perhaps Morey was protecting him.

http://www.givemesport.com/764777-houston-rockets-dissecting-a-difficult-season-in-htown

11. by78

by78 Rookie

I agree. Harden has to be informed on no uncertain terms that the Rockets organization going forward will no longer allow inmates to run the asylum. If Harden has a problem with listening to JVG or any coach Rockets hire, then Harden is welcome to leave.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You remember correctly.

Health failed McGrady more-so than effort. He was his healthiest the first year under JVG... and he helped slow down a PRIME Dirk in the playoffs, taking the challenge to guard him one-on-one (while still being able to score 30+ points).

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

T-Mac was really good that year JVG had him playing the 3. He just seemed a step slow when he had to guard the quicker 2's.

14. T_Man

Well don't just stop at Harden... This should be for the entire team...

That's the problem now.. No discipline and the crazies run the asylum...

T_Man

15. by78

by78 Rookie

Again, I agree. This should be applied to the entire team. That said, Harden has been a problem. He's immature, has poor leadership qualities, and had too many off-the-court distractions (Kardashian). Harden is the 'cornerstone', the face of the franchise, and if Harden is not straightened out, then there is no hope that others on the team will buy into the system. So it starts with Harden, and if he doesn't grow up next year, then the tumor should be removed. The Rockets organization should not be held hostage by a diva.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Don't worry. Harden will take his services(talents) elsewhere(LA) come 2018 either way.

17. T_Man

I would wish him the best of luck....

T_Man

18. Fantasma Negro

I like JVG but I think Blatt should get an interview

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

His offenses have been simplistic and I don't see how it makes sense to go with an internal hire when Harden clearly doesn't seem to respect anyone on the staff currently.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I seriously doubt anyone on the current staff will be made the head coach next season. Not unless the Rockets are throwing away the next few years to rack up ping pong balls.