1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guess where Isaiah Rider is?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 23, 2003.

1. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

If they can't beat Qatar, how is the Philippines going to handle basketball powerhouses like Team Brunei and mighty Sri Lanka.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He's still making more than 86% of all the households in the US.

3. BullFan

BullFan Member

i knew there had to be some fellow pinoys on this board.

ISANG MAHAL

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

??? is 14k more than 86% or 168k a year more than 86%? the former seems to low, the latter too high.

5. chrisrobin

chrisrobin Member

they don't really get year round contracts, so $168K isn't very accurate, but I do see your point in relation to how much the average household makes. like i said an american player usually only gets recruited to play for about three months out of the year typically in the nba off season. also interesting is that there is a height limit to play there usually 6'6" and below. they play is different also 'coz an american player is expected to play 40 minutes a game and rebound as well as score, and this is very difficult if you played either guard position in college or pros.
    i wonder if rider would actually play, because they conduct drug screens also over there. so i guess we can feel safe that eddie and mo' taylor won't leave the rockets to play over there!

6. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I KNOW THAT'S! oH BY THE WAY THE CORRECT SPELLING IS FILIPINO!!

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I meant 168K a year since it was stated that he made 14K a month. 14% of American households make more than 100K a year. So that's just a rough estimation. (168K would probably put him at the 90 percentile.)

Now chrisrobin pointed out that they aren't paid year round, so he is actually making much less. So I was wrong.

8. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I don't believe what you guys are saying about how good Filipino basketball is. The Philippines were beaten by hoops hot bed Hong Kong today. Did the Philippines send the Washington Generals in their place?

9. chrisrobin

chrisrobin Member

mleahy999, actually you are kinda right. the philippine team playing in the asian basketball championships are semi-pro
    players, minor leaguers if you will. the philippine basketball association is currently playing the "reinforced conference" which includes the american "import" players. so the best players from the philippines were not representing against "mighty Hong Kong".
    pound for pound (or inch for inch ) filipino basketball players are very good, but beacause of the lack of height, there is no fair comparison with the chinese. there is one seven-foot player in the league, and he is comparable to greg ostertag... yeah that bad! in china, they say a seven footer is one in a million, so they have a thousand more just as tall!

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

11. tozai

tozai Member

I think he was part of Snoop's posse. He was smoking a blunt somewhere...I forgot if it's a video or an awards show.