1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen]Van Gundy would like to coach Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 22, 2016.

1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Is it sad that every name on that list (besides maybe Hornacek) would be infinitely better than what we had here this season?

My top two would be JVG and Messina, but pick a name out of a hat and it would definitely be an upgrade.

It would be very interesting to see how Harden would respond to Kevin Ollie, though.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am still not a huge proponent of JVG 2.0

Rocket River

3. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

4. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

those two should be our top 2 choices

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No, Jim Boylen is another top candidate.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Makes 2 of us...

T_Man

8. FabsRubio

FabsRubio Member

I'm kind of sad to not see Hammon mentioned. She seems like a good coach who players respect, could be a good PR move for the team as well.

9. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

There was a thread about her, but it kinda got blown off pretty quickly. I agree though. Wouldn't mind giving her an interview at least.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Things always change, honestly the people here on the forum always seem to have very little experience on how negotiations work. Not really picking on this post but I'm always aghast on how people here react on what's happening, you have posters legitimately surprised Morey is not trashing his own organization while on record and now people expect what insiders report to remain the same no matter what.

If you've done any sort of complex negotiations before or even something as simple hiring someone you will see nothing is really finalized until somebody signs a paper, even when you've already agreed in principle on something hours ago the other party will come back and bring it up again depending on how the talk develops. I'm not surprised insiders report stuff that doesn't come true because its just people weighing their options, if you want the stuff that's already finalized then just follow Woj's twitter because he always breaks everything that is already guaranteed to happen.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why not? people forget but Steve Kerr who was mind blowingly good as a coach this season already tried to do something in PHX and failed miserably before. And Mchale was really good as a coach in Houston compared to his days in Minny. And the other Gundy bro is doing a better job in Detroit doing double duty as coach and gm compared to his earlier days in the Magic org. Having some first hand coaching experience and then becoming an analyst makes you better when you coach again, it forces you to look at things from a macro perspective and since you are analyzing games without bias you tend to do some introspection afterwards and make adjustments to your own coaching philosophy. Considering JVG did an ok job during his first term as coach, now that he's had some commentating experience I think he will be even better.

JVG is my first choice in a coach because as someone who preaches defense first he's the type of guy Harden needs, and as an extremely technical coach he has the credibility to convince FAs to go and play with him because he will get results. And unlike other disciplinarian coaches, JVG doesn't run his players into the ground with death practice sessions of death so Harden and whoever else signs won't break down so easily.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think the Rockets are going to take their time and see if it might appeal to Durant to have a say in their coaching hire. I think this is a crazy way to go about hiring a coach, but I think this might be a factor. So, Kevin Ollie has to be considered a pretty strong candidate for the job. IMO.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets need to go ahead and get this done. Why waste all this time? This organization seems to always be the last to make a move!!
    Everybody knows it's going to happen! Make it happen!

14. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Messina > JVG

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

I hope Mark Jackson goes back to coaching and McHale joins JVG at ABC / ESPN. The finals and every game they do would be pure entertaining. Both are straight shooters and can talk their asses off, are actually smart and knowledge and I think it would be an amazing duo. Thoughts?

16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Did everyone forget about Van Gundy's slow pace and pitiful offense. Remember the Utah playoff game where only 4 players scored. His short bench and long starter minutes that wore the team down. There was a reason he got fired. Maybe he will correct those mistakes, but I'm not too big on his return.

17. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Every coach has flaws, nobody is perfect

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think you may be spot on, but I don't agree with this method in hiring a coach.

19. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

I like JVG too. Yes, our offense is going to be slowed down and boring to watch, but we will become a strong defensive team again. Plus, this team needs a coach like JVG who won't tolerate any bull crap.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

JVG is the perfect coach for this team.