1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Apr 28, 2016.

?

Rockets head coach

Poll closed May 5, 2016.
  1. Jeff Van Gundy

336 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Luke Walton

33 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. Ettore Messina

79 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. George Karl

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Lionel Hollins

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Other

53 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. mario_v

mario_v Member

This. Repped. It's like you read my mind. Couldn't have said it any better.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm all for JVG if and only IF he accepts analytic's, gets an offensive heavy assistant coaching staff. Keeps Ewing and Mark Jackson away. Accepts that the NBA has changed and is very offensively driven now since he last coached.

On top of that we need to add guys like Conley, Batum, Noah or Biyombo to the roster for me to ever consider re-hiring JVG. Rondo might be pretty good under JVG on a 1 or 2 year deal.

For those who think JVG can lead this relatively same roster back to the WCF with a 70 win and a high 60 win teams in the conference, you're in for another raping and at that point i might have to question if its rape at all if the victim wants it.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

when he was here rockets had top 10 defense. i dont think they're elite cuz they slowed the game down but numbers dont lie,they were among the best. the offense was bad cuz there was no one outside of tmac and yao, who were always injured.

4. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

werd.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

the coach will be whoever KD wants.

6. hakeemthagreat

He can what he wants if he turns our franchise around like he did GS. 23 wins, to 45, than eventually 51 wins. Number don't lie

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Kevin Ollie or Jeff. Jeff would need some help offensively though.

8. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

and now we have so much better offensive talent than we did then:rolleyes:

need a system that creates offense more than players create offense (right now)

9. hakeemthagreat

2nd choices, Kevin Sampson or Mario Elie just because he's one of the good guys

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

you need the personnel to do that. there isn't another system that this current team is built for besides what they were doing.

new coach. new system. new players that fit this.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

http://www.hoopsplus.org/Jeff_Van_Gundy_defensive_system.pdf

From JVG himself:

"Adjustment" is a bad word - Do what you do and stick to it - usually game "adjustments" are just guys playing harder and making shots - only adjust if you see maximum effort not getting the job done over the long period of time.

This is the kind of thinking that lost us 2 first round series after being up 2-0 in the series. The other coaches adjusted. JVG refused to.

Lets bring some memories back shall we?

Up 2-0 to the Mavs. Lose the next 3 games in a row. Blow them out. Get obliterated in game 7.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PaYTyqWtFw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Up 2-0 to the Jazz. Lose in game 7. Boozer and Harpring were getting offensive rebounds all over the place while Okur stood open for crucial threes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HutrTHgJD5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. pippsux

pippsux Member

As long as Morey is our GM no coach can succeed in this 3 point heavy system that values analytics instead of the eye test.

13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

JVG is my all time favorite coach

Bringing him back would make me buy season tickets

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

JVG is known commodity, he will bring defense and toughness to this team, he will get you to 50 plus wins, but it is doubtful he will bring you championships.

Luke is unknown to everyone, what if he is the next Kerr? Are you willing to miss out on that?

Even if Houston wants Luke, he is more likely to go to Lakers with more young players where he can mold them to his style or stay put in GS and wait for a better opportunity next year.

15. GoRoc

GoRoc Member

JVG or Blatt (seriously i really rate the guy)

16. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I don't think everyone agrees that he's a 100% known commodity. Even the most ardent JVG supporters aren't looking for the return of JVG and expect him to be exactly as he was. There's this idea that he has studied the game and rejuvenated himself as a broadcaster so that he will become a better coach, one for the modern era. I think some of this idea comes from the way Steve Kerr seemed to magically transform after his time in the studio. He wasn't a coach before, but his time in the front office certainly didn't make anyone think he was the next big thing. What kind of coach is 2016 JVG? That remains to be seen...

17. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

a quote from an Espn article about Brad Stevens and his game demeanor:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15356168/brad-stevens-next-superstar-head-coach

I like that story. My problem with JVG is that he is the exact opposite of that. If you like steady as they go, unflappable leadership, JVG is not your guy.

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

They were especially ready to play that game 7 against Dallas that they lost by 1,000,000 points.

19. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I like JVG where he is.

How about Shaka Smart?

20. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

Mark Jackson