1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] 5-on-5: Time for James Harden, Dwight Howard to split?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Insider...post it!

3. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

Not ready to admit defeat with these two yet!

4. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Don't need no optimism. ESPN writers couldn't possibly say anything that Rockets fans haven't already considered themselves, unless they're sleeping with the players and have dat insider sex info.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I don't think it matters whether you're ready or not, lol.

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

5-on-5: Time for James Harden, Dwight Howard to split?

The Rockets' massively disappointing season has ended, just a year after Houston made the Western Conference finals.

Is it time for Dwight Howard to go? What about James Harden? And how do you assess GM Daryl Morey?

Our NBA Insiders go 5-on-5 on the future of the Rockets.

1. What do you foresee and advise this offseason for the Rockets?

Tom Haberstroh, ESPN Insider: They'll pull a Portland and retool around James Harden and Clint Capela. I bet they'll make a strong run at Ryan Anderson who fits their style, but my guess is that Anderson wants to head back to Cali.

The question is who will line up to roll with Harden. That goes for coaches and players. I'd like to see a reunion of Sloan Conference royalty Jeff Van Gundy and Morey.

Amin Elhassan, ESPN.com: There have to be serious changes. The chemistry on this team was at a ridiculous low for a squad that is one year removed from a Western Conference finals appearance, and although Harden deserves a lot of the blame, he's still young and gifted and most important, under contract.

A heavy push for Kevin Durant seems likely, but absent that long shot coming true, the free agency dollars need to be invested in getting players who know and accept their roles. Coaching wise, I think Houston needs to hire someone who commands instant respect. Whether that's Jeff Van Gundy or someone else, there has to be an element of solidarity between the front office and the coaching staff, and not the sort of disconnect that has happened in the last two coaching regimes (before J.B. Bickerstaff).

Bradford Doolittle, ESPN Insider: I'm not sure I've ever been more baffled by a team than this season's Rockets. Something concrete has to be at the root of it, and the most obvious thing to point to is that Dwight Howard has declined. Capela is a ready-made replacement, so Houston can throw its cap space at other positions.

Fixing personnel is far more important for the Rockets than the coaching situation, and they should probably just stick with Bickerstaff.

Kevin Pelton, ESPN Insider: An extensive makeover. Houston has an opportunity to use its cap space to add needed shooting around James Harden, particularly at power forward, and more two-way wings. Greater improvement is needed on defense, which starts with a coach with the job security to demand effort from Harden & Co.

David Thorpe, ESPN Insider: Hire Kevin McHale (seriously) or Ettore Messina. If not them, I like Kevin Ollie and Frank Martin, both guys with huge basketball IQ's who have been around NBA players for two decades and are not afraid to coach stars.

After hiring the coach, let GM Daryl Morey do what he does: bring talent in. But this time let the coach help ensure the pieces fit. The Rockets have one of the most talented rosters in the world, but the fit has always been suspect.

2. Will and should Dwight Howard return?

Pelton: No and no. With so much money available, now is probably the best time for Howard to get one last big-money deal despite his poor contract year. And Houston has too many alternative uses for its money in free agency to spend it on a declining player who will almost certainly be overpaid by the end of his deal (if not the start of it).

Haberstroh: I don't see that happening, which seemed like an impossibility when he joined in 2013. I suspect Howard will end up in Dallas where he can team up with Dirk Nowitzki, be pampered by Mark Cuban and take part in the fountain of youth there. After ranking ninth on the roster in usage rate, my guess is Howard feels as if the Houston thing has run its course.

Elhassan: Should he? No. This situation was toxic, and to be honest, I don't blame him for his discontent. He has been underutilized and underappreciated, and I'm not sure anyone can mend that fence. For the same reasons, I don't think Houston should kill itself to retain him. If he's leaving, obviously any scenario where the Rockets can recoup value for him is preferred.

Doolittle: If I'm the Rockets, I hope he opts out. And If I'm Howard's representation, I advise him to do exactly that -- in this year's marketplace, he's likely to get a good offer for multiple years. My fear in opting in and collecting the $23 million would be that one more year could completely wreck his leverage for a high-level deal in 2017.

I'm not sure I love him for another team. Charlotte? Milwaukee? Dallas? He could help those teams, but I wouldn't throw $20 million per season at him.

Thorpe: It does not seem as if he and Harden are destined for great things together. Their games should flow well, but I think their personalities get in the way.

I hope he goes to a quality franchise that knows how to win (I do consider Houston to be one), as I think he's been underrated for years. He can be a force for years to come, maybe not elite level but close enough. Remember, Tyson Chandler was rotting in Charlotte before anchoring the NBA champs.

3. Is James Harden a reliable foundation for the Rockets' future?

Haberstroh: Yes. After a horrid start where he looked as if he didn't pick up a ball all summer, Harden worked himself into shape, led the playoff charge and averaged 34.8 points in April on a 64.3 true-shooting percentage. Considering all the flak he took for this season, he finished eighth in real plus-minus wins, ahead of Durant, Paul George and Paul Millsap. Let's hope he shows up in shape next season.

Thorpe: He is, simply because he is clearly one of the world's best players. He has personality issues that prevent him from being a better leader, but men can grow and change, something a new coach can help to happen.

Remember when Zach Randolph was a guy no one wanted to be around? Now he is the Mayor of Memphis and deservedly so. It's mandatory to spend money on guys, though, who fit well with how Harden is and how he plays.

Doolittle: Generally speaking, I want a two-way player as my superstar, so Harden would not be my top pick as a franchise centerpiece. That said, who is taking his place if you let him go? Harden has won big in the NBA. He has two more seasons on his contract and the Rockets have the flexibility to remake themselves with him at the center of things one more time. He is their best short-term option.

Pelton: That depends on his level of commitment going forward. If he takes this season as a wake-up call that he needs to come to camp in shape, we know how good Harden can be. If not, we also know how his attitude can poison the entire team in a way that his talent can't overcome.

Elhassan: Absolutely. At 26 (he'll be 27 at the start of the season), he's one of the best scorers in the league, and someone you can legitimately build your team around. I'm not a fan of his leadership qualities, but that's something the team can address in free agency. A coach with built-in bona fides should be able to get more out of Harden, particularly on the defensive end.

4. How do you assess Houston GM Daryl Morey?

Elhassan: He definitely shouldn't feel any sort of security or comfort. While he has brought talent in the door and kept Houston relevant without ever bottoming out Philly-style, he has struggled at capturing the ever-elusive "whole greater than the sum of the parts" element that is necessary for a team to truly maximize its potential. He's not on a hot seat yet -- but it's getting warm.

Pelton: The Rockets have one of the league's best records over Morey's 10 years in Houston, a testament to his ability to churn the roster and find contributors without needing to bottom out during a rebuilding process. Alas, Morey scores worst in terms of his stated goal -- building a championship-caliber team. Despite reaching the conference finals last year, the Rockets have never been one of the league's top handful of teams on Morey's watch.

Doolittle: His strategy that helped the Rockets get into position to field a Howard-Harden core was admirable. Houston never tore completely down and yet built a roster that, on paper, was championship caliber. It's really hard to get from the middle to the top. Some say it's impossible. Additionally, Houston maintains a healthy balance between financial prudence, flexibility and short-term winning.

Thorpe: I think he is fantastic in every respect but one. His job is to acquire talent that outstrips their payroll while leaving them growth options and in-season flexibility. He is aces there.

What he isn't is an inspirational guy, a culture builder (for players), a connector. The right coach, like McHale, makes him an elite GM. Maybe Jeff Van Gundy can be that guy. But considering all the requisite skills a modern-day GM needs to be great, only lacking one talent still ranks him among the top few in his world.

Haberstroh: The proactive Morey has never overseen a losing season, and he has put together four 50-win seasons and reached the Western Conference finals. In a juggernaut Western Conference, that's impressive continued success. This season wasn't his finest work, but only three teams have more wins since he took over for general manager. He's as daring as he is successful, so I'm sure he'll have a surprise for us this summer.

5. If the Rockets were a stock and you were looking five years ahead, would you buy, sell or hold?

Haberstroh: I'd hold. It's hard for me to get too excited about their future without a head coach in place for the long-term. Management is about as stable and innovative as you'll find in the NBA, and they have a star in his prime in Harden, so the future is bright. I just can't buy given the stink around the team this season and the uncertainty on the sidelines.

Elhassan: Buy. Solid ownership, cap flexibility, talent on the roster under contract and decent pick inventory. The Rockets are in good shape, all things considered.

Thorpe: I'd buy, and I'd recruit others to go all in with me. Their owner is on board for all things smart, which is rare, and their executives know how to execute strategies that are both simple and complex. They play the right way, systemically, they have a ton of talent, they draft brilliantly, and they have a top-10 TV market. This season stunk, but their future is bright.

Doolittle: Sell. It's not a knock on the Rockets, Morey or anything like that. I just see some stacked young teams on the rise, like Minnesota and Utah. I see the Spurs well positioned for another wide-open window of contention. I see the Warriors remaining elite for the foreseeable future. Portland is ascending. OKC might remain right where it is. I just don't see a move coming that will allow Houston to differentiate itself with Harden as the centerpiece.

Pelton: Hold. As long as the star talent is there, Morey has shown a consistent knack for finding undervalued talent to go around them. So the question is really how good Harden will be over the next five years, and that could go either way.

1 person likes this.
  7. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

For those who do not have ESPN Insider Access :

The Rockets' massively disappointing season has ended, just a year after Houston made the Western Conference finals.

Is it time for Dwight Howard to go? What about James Harden? And how do you assess GM Daryl Morey?

Our NBA Insiders go 5-on-5 on the future of the Rockets.

1. What do you foresee and advise this offseason for the Rockets?

Tom Haberstroh, ESPN Insider: They'll pull a Portland and retool around James Harden and Clint Capela. I bet they'll make a strong run at Ryan Anderson who fits their style, but my guess is that Anderson wants to head back to Cali.

The question is who will line up to roll with Harden. That goes for coaches and players. I'd like to see a reunion of Sloan Conference royalty Jeff Van Gundy and Morey.

Amin Elhassan, ESPN.com: There have to be serious changes. The chemistry on this team was at a ridiculous low for a squad that is one year removed from a Western Conference finals appearance, and although Harden deserves a lot of the blame, he's still young and gifted and most important, under contract.

A heavy push for Kevin Durant seems likely, but absent that long shot coming true, the free agency dollars need to be invested in getting players who know and accept their roles. Coaching wise, I think Houston needs to hire someone who commands instant respect. Whether that's Jeff Van Gundy or someone else, there has to be an element of solidarity between the front office and the coaching staff, and not the sort of disconnect that has happened in the last two coaching regimes (before J.B. Bickerstaff).

Bradford Doolittle, ESPN Insider: I'm not sure I've ever been more baffled by a team than this season's Rockets. Something concrete has to be at the root of it, and the most obvious thing to point to is that Dwight Howard has declined. Capela is a ready-made replacement, so Houston can throw its cap space at other positions.

Fixing personnel is far more important for the Rockets than the coaching situation, and they should probably just stick with Bickerstaff.

Kevin Pelton, ESPN Insider: An extensive makeover. Houston has an opportunity to use its cap space to add needed shooting around James Harden, particularly at power forward, and more two-way wings. Greater improvement is needed on defense, which starts with a coach with the job security to demand effort from Harden & Co.

David Thorpe, ESPN Insider: Hire Kevin McHale (seriously) or Ettore Messina. If not them, I like Kevin Ollie and Frank Martin, both guys with huge basketball IQ's who have been around NBA players for two decades and are not afraid to coach stars.

After hiring the coach, let GM Daryl Morey do what he does: bring talent in. But this time let the coach help ensure the pieces fit. The Rockets have one of the most talented rosters in the world, but the fit has always been suspect.

2. Will and should Dwight Howard return?

Pelton: No and no. With so much money available, now is probably the best time for Howard to get one last big-money deal despite his poor contract year. And Houston has too many alternative uses for its money in free agency to spend it on a declining player who will almost certainly be overpaid by the end of his deal (if not the start of it).

Haberstroh: I don't see that happening, which seemed like an impossibility when he joined in 2013. I suspect Howard will end up in Dallas where he can team up with Dirk Nowitzki, be pampered by Mark Cuban and take part in the fountain of youth there. After ranking ninth on the roster in usage rate, my guess is Howard feels as if the Houston thing has run its course.

Elhassan: Should he? No. This situation was toxic, and to be honest, I don't blame him for his discontent. He has been underutilized and underappreciated, and I'm not sure anyone can mend that fence. For the same reasons, I don't think Houston should kill itself to retain him. If he's leaving, obviously any scenario where the Rockets can recoup value for him is preferred.

Doolittle: If I'm the Rockets, I hope he opts out. And If I'm Howard's representation, I advise him to do exactly that -- in this year's marketplace, he's likely to get a good offer for multiple years. My fear in opting in and collecting the $23 million would be that one more year could completely wreck his leverage for a high-level deal in 2017.

I'm not sure I love him for another team. Charlotte? Milwaukee? Dallas? He could help those teams, but I wouldn't throw $20 million per season at him.

Thorpe: It does not seem as if he and Harden are destined for great things together. Their games should flow well, but I think their personalities get in the way.

I hope he goes to a quality franchise that knows how to win (I do consider Houston to be one), as I think he's been underrated for years. He can be a force for years to come, maybe not elite level but close enough. Remember, Tyson Chandler was rotting in Charlotte before anchoring the NBA champs.

3. Is James Harden a reliable foundation for the Rockets' future?

Haberstroh: Yes. After a horrid start where he looked as if he didn't pick up a ball all summer, Harden worked himself into shape, led the playoff charge and averaged 34.8 points in April on a 64.3 true-shooting percentage. Considering all the flak he took for this season, he finished eighth in real plus-minus wins, ahead of Durant, Paul George and Paul Millsap. Let's hope he shows up in shape next season.

Thorpe: He is, simply because he is clearly one of the world's best players. He has personality issues that prevent him from being a better leader, but men can grow and change, something a new coach can help to happen.

Remember when Zach Randolph was a guy no one wanted to be around? Now he is the Mayor of Memphis and deservedly so. It's mandatory to spend money on guys, though, who fit well with how Harden is and how he plays.

Doolittle: Generally speaking, I want a two-way player as my superstar, so Harden would not be my top pick as a franchise centerpiece. That said, who is taking his place if you let him go? Harden has won big in the NBA. He has two more seasons on his contract and the Rockets have the flexibility to remake themselves with him at the center of things one more time. He is their best short-term option.

Pelton: That depends on his level of commitment going forward. If he takes this season as a wake-up call that he needs to come to camp in shape, we know how good Harden can be. If not, we also know how his attitude can poison the entire team in a way that his talent can't overcome.

Elhassan: Absolutely. At 26 (he'll be 27 at the start of the season), he's one of the best scorers in the league, and someone you can legitimately build your team around. I'm not a fan of his leadership qualities, but that's something the team can address in free agency. A coach with built-in bona fides should be able to get more out of Harden, particularly on the defensive end.

4. How do you assess Houston GM Daryl Morey?

Elhassan: He definitely shouldn't feel any sort of security or comfort. While he has brought talent in the door and kept Houston relevant without ever bottoming out Philly-style, he has struggled at capturing the ever-elusive "whole greater than the sum of the parts" element that is necessary for a team to truly maximize its potential. He's not on a hot seat yet -- but it's getting warm.

Pelton: The Rockets have one of the league's best records over Morey's 10 years in Houston, a testament to his ability to churn the roster and find contributors without needing to bottom out during a rebuilding process. Alas, Morey scores worst in terms of his stated goal -- building a championship-caliber team. Despite reaching the conference finals last year, the Rockets have never been one of the league's top handful of teams on Morey's watch.

Doolittle: His strategy that helped the Rockets get into position to field a Howard-Harden core was admirable. Houston never tore completely down and yet built a roster that, on paper, was championship caliber. It's really hard to get from the middle to the top. Some say it's impossible. Additionally, Houston maintains a healthy balance between financial prudence, flexibility and short-term winning.

Thorpe: I think he is fantastic in every respect but one. His job is to acquire talent that outstrips their payroll while leaving them growth options and in-season flexibility. He is aces there.

What he isn't is an inspirational guy, a culture builder (for players), a connector. The right coach, like McHale, makes him an elite GM. Maybe Jeff Van Gundy can be that guy. But considering all the requisite skills a modern-day GM needs to be great, only lacking one talent still ranks him among the top few in his world.

Haberstroh: The proactive Morey has never overseen a losing season, and he has put together four 50-win seasons and reached the Western Conference finals. In a juggernaut Western Conference, that's impressive continued success. This season wasn't his finest work, but only three teams have more wins since he took over for general manager. He's as daring as he is successful, so I'm sure he'll have a surprise for us this summer.

5. If the Rockets were a stock and you were looking five years ahead, would you buy, sell or hold?

Haberstroh: I'd hold. It's hard for me to get too excited about their future without a head coach in place for the long-term. Management is about as stable and innovative as you'll find in the NBA, and they have a star in his prime in Harden, so the future is bright. I just can't buy given the stink around the team this season and the uncertainty on the sidelines.

Elhassan: Buy. Solid ownership, cap flexibility, talent on the roster under contract and decent pick inventory. The Rockets are in good shape, all things considered.

Thorpe: I'd buy, and I'd recruit others to go all in with me. Their owner is on board for all things smart, which is rare, and their executives know how to execute strategies that are both simple and complex. They play the right way, systemically, they have a ton of talent, they draft brilliantly, and they have a top-10 TV market. This season stunk, but their future is bright.

Doolittle: Sell. It's not a knock on the Rockets, Morey or anything like that. I just see some stacked young teams on the rise, like Minnesota and Utah. I see the Spurs well positioned for another wide-open window of contention. I see the Warriors remaining elite for the foreseeable future. Portland is ascending. OKC might remain right where it is. I just don't see a move coming that will allow Houston to differentiate itself with Harden as the centerpiece.

Pelton: Hold. As long as the star talent is there, Morey has shown a consistent knack for finding undervalued talent to go around them. So the question is really how good Harden will be over the next five years, and that could go either way.

1 person likes this.
  8. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

I'm actually surprised that Elhassan was generally positive towards Harden. Dude always seem to mock Harden's game whenever I saw him on ESPN. Other than Pelton, who really dislikes Harden, most guys seem to think that Harden can be a legit piece to build a team around.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Back to the 14th pick territory is a serious possibility..

10. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I guess he's nice enough to not kick us (or troll us) while we're down. Maybe it's not as fun for him.

Interesting opinions here - I'll be sure to rep those who posted the article!

11. dmoneybangbang

What? People don't think Morey is a joke? Don't think Harden is a faux superstar? Don't tell the narrative crew!

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

[​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D4t3EG8Pnco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

LOL "They play the right way". Someone wants a job.

14. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Sounds like a lot of ass kissing with all the analytical heads and people looking for jobs in ESPN, and even then I still wouldn't give an ish smith what they think, we've got sources closer to the team showing us what's going on.