1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Can Still Win This Series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RiceDaddy7, Apr 24, 2016.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets from 2013, maybe. Yes, the one the season before Dwight signed here. Now that team played with heart. They could've quit after that ridiculous bounce on Durant's 3-pointer in Game 3 that gave the Thunder a 3-0 lead. But they gutted out a Game 4 win, shocked OKC at home in Game 5(remember Asik calmly hitting his free throws?), and put up a decent fight in Game 6 before finally falling.

That team was gifted an opportunity when Westbrook suffered a knee injury and took advantage of it. This team is in a similar situation with Curry's knee, but unfortunately they look like they couldn't care less. I get the impression some of the players would rather start their summer vacation Wednesday night than try to extend this series.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

The only way the Rockets can beat the warriors is by getting all the big men active at the beginning of the game and continuing to stay with that game plan until the end of the game.

They cannot beat this team trying to shoot 3's the entire game...

T_Man

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Look, for starters we didn't get swept, that's good news. Take that and be happy OP. If we win anymore games thanks to Curry being hurt and maybe our guys play well again, then it's just cherries on top at this point.

If by some miracle we win this series I'm coming back and repping you though.

1 person likes this.
  4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Backs to the wall ya'll... that's where we at our best. Heck, JBB may even put in K.J. Who knows! He might even create the best rotation we have yet to see!

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hahaha I lost it at the title.

Then little by little I kept reading even more and had a good laugh.

"we have more heart"

jerryseinfieldgetsupandleaves.gif

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

They need to do much more than that. To start, the defense has to be more physical and anticipatory of GS picks and corner offense. There's no excuse for Klay being open so often or for our bigs coming out so far to defend Bogut. Someone has to protect the rim, and like James, Dwight can't do it all. DMo has to rebound from the beginning, as does Trev, James and Clint when he gets in. Beasley does a decent job rebounding,with room for some improvement, but if you consider why Beas was brought in, it wasn't to be a defensive guy. He's instant offense, and he's played well. He's fit in according to his role, and IMO, he's exceeded much of that in most of the games he's gotten minutes.

Simply Posting DMo isn't the answer to winning the next game. Just like containing Steph doesn't automatically get you a win against the Warriors, focusing a change towards one player is a weak approach to anticipating the next game.

If DMo gets into good position and maximizes his opportunities in the post, so be it, but that's not a difference maker. If anything, DMo needs to adjust his defense to Draymond and the other bigs on GS. He allowed Dray to become a facilitator on offense because he couldn't keep up with him off of the dribble, nor did he use spacing well when Dray got hot from far range. Anyway, DMo is just one guy on the Rockets. It takes the whole team to make this happen. Your shot at Beasley is a minimal adjustment as well. EVERYONE on the Rockets needs to pick up the defense, not just Beas. I'm not sure it makes sense for you to mention Beasley's 17/3 (1 turnover) in 19 minutes with DMo's 8/4 (4 turnovers) in 25 minutes. I understand your affinity towards DMo, and that's cool, but it's pretty obvious who played better today. (Not clear why you felt the need to put the two together, but there are some stats for you to take a look at, since YOU threw them together)

The Rockets need a cohesive effort on both ends of the floor, but mainly on defense. You have to get stops against Golden State, or you really have no chance of winning. We'll lose every time if we try to trade baskets. Our offensive firepower doesn't come close to the product that GS puts on the floor, whether it's from their first string or from a guy like Mo Speights, who we've allowed to look like Zach Randolph this series. (I mean, couldn't Corey get in there and pop that epic cyst on Speights' head, just to distract him?! ;) )

I've been critical of James at points this year, but at this stage of the season, he's played his ass off. He can't do this alone, and while I don't agree with JB playing him without a rest, I can understand the decision. The weight of the world is placed on James, which doesn't work in the long run. The Warriors are successful because they have multiple guys who can score and defend. And, obviously, they have an intelligent offense and defense that makes the Rockets' game plan look elementary.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Guys, just wait, wait until Brewer hits that 3, I mean at this point when he does... They should stop the game and celebrate.

1 person likes this.
  8. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

You guys just wait. We are the same team from last year's WCF. It's IN US. Did you see how we played in the first half of today's Game 4? Imagine if that woke up and they didn't have Curry. Imagine if Brewer started knocking down his 3's and Dwight hit his free-throws. It can still happen. That's the crazy thing. And if you don't support and believe in your team now, how can you call yourself a true Rockets fans? True Rockets fans believe. THEY. BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!

9. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

I want whatever drug you are on. Asap.. And if you're not on any drugs then you need to be admitted into a mental institution for delusional behaviour

10. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

There is a lot of mumbo jumbo and platitudes in this post but I'll focus on this. DMO hasn't allowed Draymond Green to do anything.

Draymond Green got 14 assists vs us a game earlier this year when Curry was out.

Draymond Green averaged almost 8 assists from the PF/C spot this year.

Draymond Green shot almost 40% from 3 this year.

There's pretty much nobody in the NBA that can stop what he's doing. The only way to take Green out of the game is to literally take him out of the game from too many fouls.

So MR. Montie is actually right, post up Green, make the refs call fouls on him if your goal is to render Draymond Green ineffective. Easier said than done of course.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

*falls in faint*

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

We can still do this brehs! Maybe all of GSW's starting lineup will get injured and we look to be turning the corner for game 4.

13. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

I could believe the Rockets could win this series, but lets be honest and objective to what we all saw in the second half. We all saw a team that didn't want to take advantage of Curry being injured or Bogut being in foul trouble or even Green in foul trouble. We all saw a team that absolutely capitulated not due to pressure but due to the culture of this team, and it has been a common theme all of this season.

As I said at the end of the game thread, where was the hack a someone in the 3rd quarter when Klay and Green were shooting lights out from 3, isn't that what the hack a someone is for? To stop those sorts of momentum shifting runs? Where was James trying to take over in the second half. Where did Dwight go in the second half after a good first half? Why was Brewer in there embarrassing himself missing wide open layups.

Rockets were 3-1 down last playoffs but that was to a clipper team famous for choking. But lets be honest the Rockets are playing the champs, they know what it takes to win and go all the way. They will not choke this away. There will be no comeback.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

I want it to end in game 5.

15. eqsharp

eqsharp Member

So many still underrate important qualities like leadership. The Rockets don't get that from its star players. And unfortunately never will with Harden or Howard.

You can change the coach, the game plan, and a few peripheral pieces, but when the foundation is flawed those changes won't matter.

Rockets Foundation is built on....

James Harden: Offense, no Defense, Weak leader
    Dwight Howard: Defense, no Offense, Weak leader

Having said that, this thread definitely gave me a good laugh. Can't be mad at some for keeping hope alive.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I will rep you if you say something more intelligent than this by the end of the series.

I guess how you give rep and whom is a craft :cool:

17. acjeitherocket

lmfaooooooooo.

see yall in October

18. count_dough-ku

FIFY.

19. NickKent

NickKent Member

Please stop drinking the koolaid. The team flat out quit midway through 3rd qtr

20. count_dough-ku

I guess people are clinging to hope because last year's Rockets team flat out quit on numerous occasions in the Clippers series, yet still won after being down 3-1. They quit in the 4th quarter of Game 1 at home vs a Chris Paul-less LA team. They quit in the 2nd half of Game 3. They quit in the 2nd half of Game 4. And the starters quit in the 3rd quarter of Game 6 before that miracle comeback in the 4th quarter.

Hell, last year's Rockets also didn't even show up in Game 3 against the Warriors when they were down 2-0 and in a must win situation. As much crap as we give this year's team for their lack of effort or desire, we can't let last year's team off the hook. This is not a new trend with this particular bunch. It's just that it's so much worse this season since their defense has taken a nosedive.

That's why I'm hoping they clean house this offseason. Get a new coach who holds his players accountable and gut this roster and reload it with guys who actually give a damn.