1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy Defensive Clinic (Notes and Video Included)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Briand2714, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

someone posted this on reddit and I thought it was quite interesting.

Clinic notes:
    http://www.hoopsplus.org/Jeff_Van_Gundy_defensive_system.pdf

Defense video:
    https://youtu.be/vrsTKAtBMZ8?list=PLynELnIkgDK5akqj6-wm3ihr0TSevcQUi

1 person likes this.
  2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

3. rockets13champs

JB should read the defensive notes

4. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

Hakeem reference... and Defense Does Not Win Champions

5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

JVG is the only way we start winning in the next few years

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

God I miss that bullet that states the 1 & 2 always retreat when a shot goes up. That alone would have gotten us 5 more wins. Not wasting time crowding the defensive rebounder - another big one. Those 2 simple things alone make Harden 5X less of a liability on defense.

I forgot somewhat how much he hated quick shots on offense because they often lead to poor transition defense. He's stated he will need to revamp his offense. But that specific aspect of offense impacts the defense. It'll be fun to see that adapt. Although I'm pretty sure we get a good idea from Thib's final year in Chicago.

7. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Why can't we have it like football.. have a defensive and offensive coordinator? JVG can manage everything defense and hire another coach/assistant to manage offense.

8. bmd

bmd Member

They do. When McHale was here, J.B. was in charge of the defense, and Finch was in charge of the offense.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

JVG has said that's what he would need to do if he returned to the NBA.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Nice find.

I can't help but think our guys will go into shock when they see that much detail and attention being paid to playing defense. I know these guys have all been coached before but when I see them play they look, collectively and individually, like the dumbest defenders in all of basketball.

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

We missed the part about being negative after every game , crushing player's confidence, not playing rookies, and his own self- loathing. No fast break offense, walk the ball up the court approach staged a facade of his "good defense". Given all this I really like the guy, only if he has changed the offense playbook. NO MORE HERO BALL ISO PLAYS!! I am sick of it , ruins youth basketball as well, because these kids confuse street basketball with regulation.

1 person likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"Your offense is your best transition defense - take good shots, bad shots lead to transition opportunities."

YES YES YES.

13. Fantasma Negro

nice find, JVG is a maniac. This guy thinks of every element of defense. He needs to find a coach equally offensively minded though

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They do from a practice standpoint at least (JB used to run defense in practice & Finch would run offensive sets.... McHale would.... do what every... manage I guess).

However one side impacts the success of the other. For instance, one major defensive principle is on the offensive side where when the shot goes up, 2 guards/wings sprint back and do not contest the rebound. However if the offense is running Princeton sets, two of the three guards could be making back cuts and leave the defense exposed to not run back after the shots go up.

Also much of what makes a team defensive centric takes place with eliminating risk on the offensive end by sucking down the shot clock to take a better shot rather than jacking up the first available shot, etc.

So you could hire JVG as your defensive coordinator, and Mike D'Antoni as your offensive coordinator, but that doesn't mean you will have a great offense, and a great defense. Something would have to give, and ultimately you are either a D'Antoni team or a JVG team.

I personally am all about eliminating risk. To me a JVG team, while not as explosive offensively, eliminates the risk of losing alot of game you shouldn't, and puts a team like the Rockets in a position to avoid seasons like this one. While a JVG coached team might not of had the offensive freedom to allow a Corey Brewer and Josh Smith explosion against the Clippers to advance to the WCF, it would likely eliminate the stupid losses we had this year against the likes of the Suns, and there is no way in hell that a JVG coached team would be that undisciplined coming out of training camp to lose their first 6 games.

So pick your poison. I choose eliminating risk with this team of knuckleheads, and emotional rollercoaster talented basketball players.

1 person likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

JVG is a pretty low end offensive coach, but if we got both Harden and Durant on the same team... that's pretty difficult to be bad offensively. If we can score both KD/JVG then I'm on board with JVG as coach. These defenses are stellar compared to what we're doing now. There's no philosophy to our D.

Edit: I'd like to add that JVG's blitzing philosophy would work against the Warriors offense (@15:35). His job was to figure out how to beat the Bull's triangle offense for years. Unfortunately, he was facing the great uphill slopes that are Mt. Michael.

#15 don grahamleone, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"Rebounding Drill -- only one the Knicks do -- split players into two teams of six, 3 blacks at the elbow, 3 whites at each block, in one line."
    [​IMG]
    j/k

17. RyanB

RyanB Member

If Van Gundy is hired Harden and the other players will learn what is DEFENSE

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Well said. I am of the same opinion.

19. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Very interesting indeed. I remember the "Elevator Doors" play and the famous "Wild Cat Transition"

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

hire this man already before some other team snatches him up.