1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thibs and Brooks being considered by the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 13, 2016.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'd prefer someone with a clear offence and defence structure

I don't want another freelancer/motivator like McHale.

2. jrobich

jrobich Member

Mario Elie

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Why would he choose us then?

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I guess he'll wait this summer to see what kind of roster he can eventually coach here and there...

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The biggest issue I have and the thing that means no one from that coaching tree is going to accept the job here is Morey's role or perceived power in the organization.

Bud went to a team that had less pieces at the time (They were a rebuilding team...Rockets were a team with Harden) for more power.

I think a coach is always going to choose that over having a head strong GM like we do.

I have NO idea what the dynamic was between JVG-Adelman-Mchale-JBB and Morey...but I think it's safe to say that Morey has the final word on who stays and goes on the team, proof in that or some quotes from Mchale and Adelman when Morey did a few of his trades and both coaches basically saying after acquiring a player "Don't know what to do with this guy."

This ties into your bit about Harden. The coach HAS to have a large amount of power in team decisions. Otherwise why should Harden listen or any other player listen to the coach? They can just go to the principal's office and complain about the coach and have him removed which has happened plenty of times.

Not that power should be taken away from Morey...but I feel he needs to work a lot more with the coach and I think this is why we have this team with 0 chemistry.

IMO the perfect situation is that the coach looks at the team and decides how he wants to play and tells the GM what kind of player the team needs and the GM goes out to get that player. Rather then it being the other way around.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">AP Source: The Timberwolves will interview former Warriors coach and ESPN analyst Mark Jackson for the coaching job</p>&mdash; Jon Krawczynski (@APkrawczynski) <a href="https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/722430531082850304">April 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

There goes Tom.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Minnesota is engaged in serious talks with Tom Thibodeau to become President of Basketball Ops and coach, with Scott Layden as GM.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/722830584196648961">April 20, 2016</a></blockquote>

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We may end up being "stuck" with Brooks. Not my first choice at all.

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Lol

JVG not coming, Thibs gone, Clutchfans faints

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You only hire Brooks if and only if it's what gets you Durant.

Just hiring him for the sake of hiring him would be terrible.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't understand why we have to settle for Brooks. Aren't there tons of assistant coaches in the NBA? What about the college ranks? I get that Les wants to make a "splash", but one of these years, it's gonna have to get through his thick skull that this mentality is what's holding the franchise back. The new coach doesn't have to be a big name. It has to be someone who can actually coach a professional basketball team.

13. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What, you don't think Scottie "Flop Sweat" Brooks would be a great coach?

Yeah, if he gets us Durant (not holding my breath), awesome; I think James is happier as playing a Super-Robin to a Batman (Durant in this case) anyway.

Too bad about Thibodeau, but I don't blame him if he goes to Minnesota.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Bad decision by Minny to hand the gm duties to thibs.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeah, I mean I was just saying that for the sake of argument.

Durant ain't coming.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They aren't, he would be Basketball Ops, which essentially gives him final say but GM duties are a lot to take on and that's why they want to bring in Scott Layden to handle the day to day tasks of GM. Minnesota is going to become a powerhouse. Les is killing this team.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NBA sources say Tom Thibodeau is closing in on a five-year pact in the $10 million range annually to become coach/president of the Wolves.</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/722837169727873026">April 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing this figure could go as high as $11M per year. <a href="https://t.co/IIMD18QSmf">https://t.co/IIMD18QSmf</a></p>&mdash; Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/722838171898261505">April 20, 2016</a></blockquote>

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely excited about the future of Minnie now.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Oh plz. Like how doc Svg and Kidd dont make the decisions?
    The one who will decide will be thibs and the "gm" will only man up the phones and know his cba.
    Thats how it works. Thibs will be deciding who the team will trade who to target and even who to draft.

Bballholic should be depressed becoz now theres no way thibs trades away Rubio.