1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Travel] African safaris

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, Aug 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

We should have more Safari's in America, where you can sleep in peril amongst the indigenous American squirrel.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Eaten by a lion yet?

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Made it out alive! Absolutely amazing experience. Was only at the Timbavati Game Reserve for two nights, but saw tons of animals. Lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard, rhino, giraffe, zebra, wild dog, hyena, sable, kudu, impala, wildebeest, hippo, and many others.

Tooks tons of pictures, here is probably my favorite (spoilered for size):

[​IMG]

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned Tsavo.

I have been almost every direction through through one of the oldest and largest game reserves in all of Africa. It's also fun to watch "Ghost in the Darkness" before going in, although they misrepresent the Lions there. The maneless Masai lions there are very rare lion and awesome to watch. I had the opportunity to watch a pride of lions chase down a herd of antelope there, it was absolutely breathtaking.

There are so many great lodging options there too. Or you can stay by the beach in Mombasa or Malindi and drive in for day trips. Also feel free to stop in one of the many lodges and eat a wonderful meal just feet from an awesome elephant watering whole.

If I could have my ashes spread somewhere it would be there.

5. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

Hey Guys,

Was thinking bout heading to Africa and remembered this thread. Did some research, plus from this thread, it seems Tanzania is the way to go for Safaris. I'm going to hit up a few other countries though - South Africa, Zambia - and was wondering if it's worth doing a Safari in multiple places. Or if you've seen one have you seen them all?

6. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tanzania and South Africa will be different experiences. Much of the same animals, very different experiences. Go to Kruger National Park, you will not regret it.

1 person likes this.
  7. davo

davo Contributing Member

I missed this thread first time round. My wife and I went to a private game reserve called Shumbalaya about 10 years ago (near Kruger National Park in South Africa). Without a doubt one of the best holidays we have been on and we were recently talking about going back and taking the kids.

Shumbalaya was very small and luxurious and I would definitely recommend it, but there are literally dozens to choose from, ranging from tents to 6 star. Private Reserves are usually smaller, but the guides/rangers have more control and knowledge over where the animals are, so you get more of a guaranteed experience - i.e. you will most likely see the Big 5. Going to Kruger National Park is a little more variable.

http://www.shumbalala.co.za/

1 person likes this.