1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Van Gundy is at the top of the Rockets’ list of candidates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 18, 2016.

?

Would you be okay with bringing Jeff Van Gundy back?

1. Yes — bring him back.

88.9%
  2. No — been there, done that.

11.1%
  1. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

No offensive but whoever coach the Rockets will get their life expectancy shorten by 10 years every season.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

On the last GSW/ROX telecast JVG said he would like to see Harden work off the ball some more offensively to open up new looks for him.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

It's going to be so irritating seeing JVG jump up and down on the sidelines on every play.

4. ibm

ibm Member

for the naysayers, whom do you want? thibs? he's a poor man's jvg. lol.

who else is available that we may consider?

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Getting a solid offensive mind to help either JVG or Thibs would be required for sure.

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Because Bob Sura, Scott Padget, Nachbar, Andre Barett, Adrian Griffin, an old Mark Jackson, Mo Taylor are all great offensive players.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Every coaching candidate has shortcomings. But some of the biggest problems the Rockets have, JVG (like Thibs) could be the guy to solve them. Accountability, Defense, Structure.

Not every coaching candidate can check all of the boxes, the key is to get the right fit to check the most boxes.

8. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

If we were going for Rockets re-treads, I'd prefer Rick Adelman. He's always been good at scheming motion offense, he doesn't have a huge weakness on the other side of the ball and he actually did a good job with the Rockets, getting a series win McGrady injured and even pushing the Lakers in the semi-finals.

But Van Gundy wouldn't be horrible. Not exciting, IMO, but capable.

9. The Law

The Law Member

Exactly. Thibs was to JVG what JBB is to McHale. Why have the padawan when you can have the master???

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

And JVG is spot on saying that. One of the reasons I was so glad the rockets got Lawson but it never panned out. Would have to change up the offensive a bit.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

There's a reason this guy kept his teams good but never great.

Get ready for meaningless 1st or 2nd round exits. I bet JVG is glad Phil Jackson doesn't coach anymore. He always gets schooled by him.

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The Rockets won't truly begin the search until they're assured they have no chance at signing Durant.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The biggest issue of the JVG era was the plethora of "his guys" that CD brought in for him who could no longer play and/or had no offensive game.

I love CD, but he was no Daryl Morey as a GM. I trust Morey to do a better job going after guys who'll fit JVG's system while also not being afraid to tell him "no" on acquiring has-been guys who can no longer play.

1 person likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So, that would be a "no" to another go-round with Rod Strickland?

15. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Yes!!! JVG is my favorite coach...next to Rudy T, that is.

This pumps me up!!! I have enough excitement to blow up this air mattress so that my family can swim/float to dry land.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

JVG hasn't coached in 10 years, are we sure that the game hasn't passed him by already? Of course, he's been working as a tv analyst so hopefully he has learned some things.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

didn't he take the knicks to the finals?

JVG would be a solid hire assuming his heart is still in it. i'm not worried about offensive schemes - we need someone that preaches accountability, effort, hustle and defense. i have no doubt that with a solid roster JVG is plenty talented to coach a team to a long playoff run.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ok. I think I'm ready for that. I like it.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So, if the Rockets hire JVG. Will JVG want to keep Howard? Would Howard considering staying?
    Is Howard "a guy that fits JVG's system" or a "has-been guy who can no longer play"? ;)

Just something to chew on.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Charles Oakley, Mark Jackson and Rick Brunson say hi, too.