1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another example of Owner Alexander and $$$

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Apr 16, 2016.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Calvin Watkins: Rockets owner Les Alexander said his franchise was one of two teams voting against putting ads on jerseys. – via Twitter calvinwatkins

Wait, what - - that cheapo voted against increasing revenues? The narrative on this Board re: the Rox' owner is just wrong (and no, I am hardly a supporter of the gent).

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Good on Les.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Les' stance on this position.

4. Victorious

Victorious Member

I was against at because I thought it would be lame soccer style ads on jerseys, but its not that bad. its just a small logo patch. And retail jerseys won't have the ads on them. No negative effect here unless you really hate the brand.

5. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Les earned himself some respect. Does this mean our jerseys will be ad free?

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I assume the ads will be sold league-wide, not locally. Thus,yes.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Les is against ADS because he is just super greedy:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15210151/nba-jerseys-carry-advertisements-beginning-2017-18

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Breaking News: Les voted no ......because Chinese brands are not allowed to advertise on his jerseys.

9. Garner

Garner Member

10. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Hah - let's see if he puts his money where his mouth is; he will ultimately get to decide what the corporate sponsor is OR if they will forgo having one (I would assume)

Edit: just saw the above - lol... I agree with his reasoning on restricting revenue sharing for this. but the OP was flat-out wrong.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

1 out of 2

who was the other owner?

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No because the NBA will be selling space on the Jersey's. So every team is very likely to have at least one add in common on the jersey. Imagine something like Gatorade paying 100s of millions to be the official sports drink of the NBA and having their logo on every NBA jersey.

13. houtown

houtown Member

I possibly do not think that Leslie Alexander is cheap, more that he has made some questionable decisions, but compared to most owners, he possibly seems to invest a lot of money into the team. Yeah, he may exploit foreign players for profit as a business man or might underrate coaches.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I thought so too, but Darren Rovell's article (and tweets) specifically mention that it will be up to each team to negotiate on their own. That means you could end up with a company sponsoring multiple teams and certain teams getting paid substantially more (i.e. Lakers vs Kings)

Also worth noting is that the money will be counted as Basketball-Related Income (BRI) and be split 50/50 with the players

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

So les voted against it because of the revenue sharing. He's probably in favor of it but he wants to keep all the money.

16. shastarocket

And there is nothing wrong with that.

-----

As fans, it only affects us from a (mild) aesthetic perspective. The ads won't even be on jerseys that are sold, just the ones that the players wear

A 3-year test period starting the season after next with a tiny ass patch? I don't think it's a big deal at all.

Of course, now that the floodgates have opened...

#16 shastarocket, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. (That's what I get for assuming...)

18. shastarocket

19. Fantasma Negro

Bait and switch, he voted no knowing it would get passed and all the while he's probably got a mockup jersey with Toyota and ZTE logos hanging in his closet

20. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

I haven't kept up with this storyline at all, but it's probably a good bet that even if they start out as small logos, they'll eventually get bigger and bigger. $$$.