1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Rockets pass on NBA Draft for rematch with Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 14, 2016.

1. KimaniJETS

KimaniJETS Member

Rockets in 6

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh right. It was a problem if we make it to 7th seed

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah, I think Clutch mentioned in the Podcast that we retain that second rounder... for what it's worth.

4. tdo

tdo Member

Hell our 2nd rd picks have been just as good, if not better than our 1st rd picks. I'm not too disappointed that we are going to be sacrificial lambs to GS and lose the pick. If nothing else, we get a shot at history, albeit an extremely slim chance. I'll take that over a middle of the road pick in a bad draft.

5. mockster

mockster Member

Bickerstaff play smith and beasley minutes you idiot thanks

6. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Maybe we can get another Parsons or Bullinger

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No to Smith he is lousy - yes to Beasley.

DD

8. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Thought 790 summed it up well by naming the previous 20 draft picks at #12.

Bring on the playoffs and valuable experience / pain.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great podcast Clutch and MK. Thanks!

There are plusses and minuses to both sides in terms of getting to the playoffs vs the draft pick.

Since the Rockets are here....lets hope the plus is that the Rockets look good organizationally to perspective coaches (trying to win....Thibs) and to free agents (Durant and Horford).

And maybe Morey can work his magic with those 2 2nd round picks to add a rotational player / prospect.

10. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

I think the most interesting narrative going in for the Rockets will be whether "playoff Dwight" is a real thing or not. He should be highly motivated, no doubt. I'm interested to see if turns it up a notch like he has in the past, or if the second half of the season was no fluke and he is really no longer a top center in the association.

11. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Benefit of having the #12 pick is flexibility (not to sound like Morey homer): you could have combined it w/ 2nd rounders + Ariza or Beasley to move up and grab a player with higher upside. However, we've seen how difficult it is to move up in the draft, and the likely result would have been drafting @ #12, which, according to history, doesn't really present an opportunity to add significant value.

Would I still prefer the pick? Absolutely! This team has been a major disappointment the entire year and I don't want to watch them be humiliated on a national stage. But do I think this will adversely impact Houston's rebuilding? Probably not. It was always going to be done via FA, IMO. And at least now we have the opportunity, even if it's 0.00001% probability, to defeat the greatest team in NBA history. We're definitely better suited to do it than Utah, Dallas or Memphis.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NBA will hold the coinflip to break the three-way tie between the Kings, Denver and Milwaukee tomorrow afternoon for lottery order.</p>&mdash; Jason Jones (@mr_jasonjones) <a href="https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status/720685743258009600">April 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

I admire your resilience after this season especially since we are Rockets fans. But DD, we should save ourselves the cursing, frustration and anger when we happen to be down by two in a crucial game 1 in the fourth quarter and they have NO play except a Harden ISO which Green will be all over.

You have been watching basketball longer than I have and I have seen your threads this season. Our season was over before the All Star Break. I hoped that we would turn things around. The historic collapse on GSW's part is not going to happen.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Haven't listened, yet. Looking forward to it.

These should always come out of the gate stickied.

15. basketballholic

Good Lord MK.

"If Steph Curry twists an ankle" the Warriors are STILL going to beat us.

16. basketballholic

Now we're down to getting Capela playoff experience.

Sorry, that ain't worth the #12 pick.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

Here's the problem Clutch. Here are potential huge disadvantages of missing the playoffs that you're missing:

- Les overreacting and firing Morey
    - All the big name free agents remove the Rockets from consideration. Why join a team that didn't even make the playoffs?
    - All the big name available coaches remove the Rockets from consideration for the same reason

And then there's the ~1% chance of pulling off the most legendary playoff upset in NBA history, and massively increasing the odds of landing a big name free agent.

We're rooting against this so we can get the privilege of selecting the next Terrance Jones or Patrick Patterson?

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wasn't Carl Landry a 2nd rounder? I'd take Carl Landry 2.0.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

The Rockets problem in a nutshell. Hoping to maybe play up to 75% of their potential. Think about that statement for a bit. Shouldn't playing 75% of your potential be a BAD game, not a good one?

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LMAO. Why join an 8th seed .500 team getting embarrassed in the worst way on national TV...for 4 games???

You didn't think rationally before you posted this.