1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Rockets try and Obtain Ben Wallace

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glcpimp, Sep 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

should we try? HECK YEA will we probly obtain him? probly not

2. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I seriously doubt the Pistons would do Wallace AND Billups for Francis, but...

Detroit was the other team that almost landed Francis when he demanded to be traded from Vancouver.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Um, how many Detroit GMs and coaches since?

Might Coach Brown have wanted to coach SF in Houston? Might he chase him all the way up to Day - twa?

Sure, guys.

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I can't even imagine where to begin with this. I mean.... OMG!

:confused:

5. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

unless we get joe dumars to come to houston take him to a bar get him real drunk and propose the deal maybe it will happen :rolleyes:

6. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

In his defence, I think he was being sarcastic. I hope he was any ways.

7. mulletman

mulletman Member

i think he quit talking trash about yao when he gave wallace this hard core facial in the game last year at detroit

8. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

Eastern centers can't handle western centers.... OHHHH YEAAAHHH BABY :D:D:D:D:D:D

9. bugsbsi

bugsbsi Member

You guys are funny, man, i might as well say trade for Kobe Bryant but hell dont wanna get no blonde girls mad in this lobby....

10. haven

haven Member

I like Wallace. He'd be a good addition to the Rockets.

But I don't think he'd offer as much or compliment Yao as well as some here believe.

Wallace has no scoring ability. He's awful. Moreover, he's not much of a perimeter defender. We'd have many of the same problems playing him along side Yao as we would with Cato. Moreover, many of his strengths are redundant with Yao. He blocks shots and commands the lane - like Yao. Now, 2 lane-dominators is better than 1... but the benefits are reduced with redundancy.

Yao needs a PF more like Rasheed Wallace or Chris Webber (yeah, I know... not likely to get someone that good, but in that mold). someone who's quicker... and has a bit of range with a shot.

11. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Despite what you may have been used to seeing under Rudy T, most teams do not play their PFs and the 3pt line.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

except all of the big time pf's can shoot out to about 20 feet these days and most can put it on the ground and drive if you crowd them, thus the necessity of perimeter D (or maybe you were just going for the joke and weren't serious).

i'm with haven on this one. people have been polishing ben's knob for a while now even though he has absolutely no offensive game whatsoever and is even worse at the free throw line. i guess dennis rodman is a good comparison and he won titles so i guess there is hope for an all D, no O, rebound machine to be on a title winner. i just have a hard time wanting to play 4 on 5 all the time on offense especially when your main guy will be in the post (whereas jordan did post up, but could easily be perimeter if a defense were to collapse in) and you want spacing for him. not that wallace isn't an upgrade over what we have or isn't great at D, but since they're not gonna do eg for big ben, i don't think he's worth what he would cost.

and now i will stop talking about a trade that will never happen and celebrate big post #2500! at least i used it on something semi-substantial.

13. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

I agree completely. No dis to big Ben, but his complete lack of any offensive talent would only hurt Yao. The truth is, we already have the perfect type of PF to complement Yao, if only he could rebound:(

14. Sane

Sane Member

Unless we improved offesnively at the 3 spot in this deal, I wouldn't do it.

I.E. We'd have to keep Yao at the 5, Francis the 1, Mobley the 2, and add yet another very potent offensive threat at the 3 for me to consider Ben Wallace at the 4.

Since Detroit don't have anything like that, it would have to be a 3-way.

Despite this, I would do it if Detroit wanted to get rid of him and decided to take Glen Rice and Eddie Griffin in return. But I'd definitely pull the trigger on sending him along with MoT to Portland for Rasheed Wallace.

15. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

As much as I love Ben, we'd have to rely a lot more heavily on our guards scoring than Yao, and that is something this board wants none of. I like the Cato/Ben comparison; it holds true. A defense can sag off of Ben to double Yao and abuse him down low. Keeping MoT in the mix with Yao is probably our best option right now.

16. danny317

danny317 Member

heck yeah!!!

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

should we try obtain ben wallace? yes!

will we succeed? no!

18. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Francis, Griffin, 1st rd pick, and anything else to make the numbers work (Rice or whoever)

FOR

Wallace, Hamilton & Billups or Williams (and anyone they would need to make money work)

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Glad you are not our GM.