1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No way around it: Houstonians got shafted.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ESource, Sep 23, 2003.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Keep it coming...I'm with you.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn, doesn't he look good in that uniform?

If only.

3. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

It has yet to be mentioned that The City of Houston made it possible to have the financing for the new arena.

The voters in the city pleged support and accepted a tax to allow them to get the arena, and as they move into that arena, that b*stard from Florida can't put the city's name on the f-ing jersey?

Thanks Les. Let us know how else we can assist you in lining your pockets!

I have never liked that little guy...

4. egn

egn Member

What do you expect?

This is the same "yankee" that boldly changed the uniforms after back to back championships!!

Who does that?

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why does everyone hate on Les. I highly doubt someone showed him a uni that had Houston on it and he said..."Wait a second, I don't really like Houston, let's just make them say Rockets". He's just trying to make money - doing the exact same thing you would be doing if you were in his place, might I add.

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Stop complaining over something so inconsequential. The uniforms are good. If you want something that reps Houston, buy a Houston Rockets shirt with the new logo, I'm wearin one right now.

7. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

I agree, i mean i dont think les made the decision, it was probably his financial advisers, or i dont know.. im dumb... ignore V_V

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ouch! so true though.

9. haven

haven Member

If nothing else, the move was highly inappropriate in the light of the stadium construction.

Moreover, I think tying teams to cities is important, for the love of teams. Sure, I'm certain some people can love the Rockets without ever having lived in Houston.

But it seems that the best... most loved... legendary... franchises have a mystique that's tied to their city. The Red Sox are Boston. The Yankees are New York. The Cowboys are Dallas. I think they're inseparable.

Now, the connection with the Rockets is not as great as those. But it's important, I think, to try to forge such a connection. It makes a team more than a logo and a set of players... but something much more.

10. ESource

ESource Member

I must not have checked far enough to see the thread about this topic. Sorry that this is a re-post BUT it's still a valid point to many of us and it's not about whining BUT rather of respect. RESPECT to the Houstonians who voted to build, thus keeping the Rockets in H-Town. It may not matter to some, but it matters to others. ALL I'm trying to get across is that fans should have the option of getting a jersey w/ "Houston" on the front. Is that REALLY too much to ask for? Would it have damaged the Roxs marketing to do so? What would it have hurt? It's great that Roxs have fans who have never lived in Houston can get a jersey w/ "Rockets" on it. More power to them and keep supporting the team. However, Houstonians can't get one w/ "Houston" on the front? That's okay?! There is something very wrong w/ that, imo.

11. Possum

Possum Member

Does anyone else find this ironic?

12. Bonomaniac

Bonomaniac Member

why is it so imperative that the city name be on the jersey? The jerseys are much more marketable to fans with just the team name. Not EVERY Rockets fan lives in Houston. I think it's fair to say that if you go to Chicago wearing a rockets jersey then they will know the Rockets are the team in Houston.

and weren't the old jerseys one of the lowest selling jerseys in the league every year?

13. haven

haven Member

Because the Rockets play in Houston. Because the citizens of Houston gave them their new arena. Because the citizens of Houston go to far more games. And the people in Houston route for the Rockets because of identification with and pride in their city. And that pride is what keeps the Rockets in business.

A team should be part of a city. And that should be reflected in the name.

And certainly, it's hard to believe that having alternate jerseys that say "Houston" and "Rockets" would reduce sales.

14. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Who has the FINAL say when all is said and done?

He may have known NOTHING about the jerseys, however when he saw them for the first time say:

Les: "We are the Houston Rockets" these voters in this city gave me tens of millions of dallars for a new arena ON TOP OF the tens of millions I have made in attendance. We need to have the name 'Houston' on the front.'"

The NBA and this city are the two primary sources for his income. Would he ever not put the NBA logo on his attire? Hell no, he has no choice. As for "Houston" on the jersey, that is his decision.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Shut em down, Shut, Shut em down,

Everyone can STFU after this post. You should visit Houston Sane, we also are starting turn on our second year football team.