1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Panama Papers: Mossack Fonseca leak reveals elite's tax havens

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is going to be huge.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F6XnH_OnpO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Why does the liberal media hate wealth creators?

3. g1184

g1184 Member

"The Editor in Chief of Süddeutsche Zeitung responded to the lack of United States individuals in the documents, saying to 'Just wait for what is coming next.'"

My money's on the Clintons and Trump.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

money, the less you have the more you want. the more you have the more you want. only problem is, the folks with more make the rules and that's bad for the folks with less.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's gotta be Bernie.

6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Can someone explain how untaxed profits is used for Syrian military equipments?

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Putin's $2bn stash:
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/panama-papers-money-hidden-offshore

Iceland's prime minister asked to resign after failing to disclose conflict of interest when bailing out banks:
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/iceland-pm-calls-snap-election-offshore-revelations

FIFA corruption scandal widens:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35954640

Australia to investigate 800 named in tax fraud probe:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...800-australians-in-panama-papers-leak/7296512

This is the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-offshore-wealth-idUSBRE86L03U20120722

My prediction: either people will be apathetic yet again. Or 20th century capitalism will be broken. There can no longer be different legal regimes for the super-rich vs the rest of the world if all is lain to bare. This inconsistency threatens the principles of republican democracy to its core.

8. g1184

g1184 Member

My prediction: either people will be apathetic yet again. Or 20th century capitalism will be broken. There can no longer be different legal regimes for the super-rich vs the rest of the world if all is lain to bare. This inconsistency threatens the principles of republican democracy to its core.[/QUOTE]

As far as this BBS goes, I'm waiting for the "trickle down" and "people won't have to create shell companies if taxes weren't so high" arguments.

For the general population, I don't know if it's possible to further decrease our confidence in the governing class any more.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I don't know anyone who doesn't try to (legally) minimize their tax bill

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure if the "scandal" is gonna be primarily a tax issue. I think the bigger question for a lot of these people are where the money comes from in the first place-- Did, for example, Putin's $2 billion stash actually come from legal means?

I don't think that many people will legitimately get mad if someone who make his billions legitimately (like Bill Gates) did some things to minimize his tax bill.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm sure everyone is shocked at your dramatic response lol.

So far all these documents report is that corrupt dictators are corrupt and that rich people evade taxes.

My mind is blown.

I'll wait to see if there is anything that suggests something beyond tax evasion. If they can show that American leaders (or potential leaders) have participated in schemes to steal money from people, worked with some of these dictators to make money, etc. that would be a bombshell. If all they show is that rich people and dictators hired a firm to hide money that isn't going to be a big reveal.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I dunno, I'm far more interested in U.S. companies on the list.

I do get the feeling some people in panama are going to start finding polonium in their coffee...

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

On the one hand: obviously everyone knew this was going on.

On the other hand: scale, visibility and headlines are very important.

Hillary is so lucky with the timing.

14. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wpjX4q5ZWQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Surprised at how little news exposure this is getting. Probably in on it as well.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Looks like Hillary will be involved so mainstream media will temper the exposure. Probably preparing unnecessarily complex slides singling out Putin right now.

17. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Actually news here in Euopre exposure this a lot, very lot. maybe in US it is not so relevant as Mossack Fonseca did not have an office in US, thus it's biggest clientele were from European and Asian countries.

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

other than Mathloons insider scoop re Hillary, has any person/company of prominence been named yet?

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Agreed but Tax Evasion (illegal) and Tax Avoidance (legal) are completely different. We'll have to wait and see if anyone in the list so far did anything illegal.

Check out one of my favorite vids from British comedian David Mitchell. This rant of his is one of my favorites.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m2q-Csk-ktc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Named in what exactly?

I know Northside Storm sees this as the downfall of modern society, but as far as I can tell the most scandalous accusation so far appears to be tax evasion.

We have members of Congress who have been re-elected after scandals over taxes.

Unless there is an accusation of money laundering or a hint that so called "good guy" western politicians have been collaborating with dictators and the like, this isn't any more significant than the numerous American politicians who have been busted for tax evasion, failure to pay taxes on properties, parking their boats in different waters to avoid taxes, etc.