1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mission : win 5 of next 6 !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chandlerbang21, Apr 3, 2016.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So... parallel universes then, amiright? String theorist, you are?

1 person likes this.
  2. kayc

kayc Member

I wonder if a line up of
    Bev
    Harden
    Ariza
    Beasley
    Smith
    Could help this team close out some games (hardest part is Howard wouldn't want to not be on the court) but with Smith it gives you another passer, big reason Hou has had trouble closing is teams zeroing in on James and he doesn't trust players enough to make a play in crunch time so he keeps the ball in his hands to long. Neways just a thought bcuz I'm tired of terrible execution down the stretch costing this team Wins.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

We could win, if our players all locked in, coach knew what he was doing and our leaders actually lead. In other words: not going to happen. By the way, we need to win 5 out of 6 even to make the play-offs..6th seed is not possible. 7th seed we need to win 6 out of 6.

4. omgTHEpotential

Durant isn't coming to Houston. Just forget about it already. We can't afford to lose a 1st round pick over this pipedream.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

what fantasy land do you live in which has Durant evening thinking about us?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Durant is fantasy. Just making a point. the same holds true for any worthwhile free agent, more so for role players. History shows that worthwhile free agents who switch teams go to playoff teams more than not

You tankers are valuing a #12/13 pick over what the spotlight of the playoffs can add to free agency and trade value of assets. Playoffs performances can add value. Don't argue that point like everything is a waste if you lose. It's not

Imagine Beasley having one player of the game performance on the big stage like he can. Some FA out there could rethink Houston. Imagine Capela having another solid performance like last year and how that affects his value. DMo too. And maybe Goudelock gets showcased if we lose first two games. Bev shows he is indeed a 40% 3pt shooter and has a great defensive series against Parker. How does that up his trade value..

Bottomline: in a sport where the playoffs is considered the real season, showcasing your talents on that stage has value. In sum, has good potential to be worth more than a 12/13 pick. It's not nothing

7. jonkey86

jonkey86 Member

lets just tank, no point in making the playoffs if we loose our 1st round pick

8. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

That "Value" of being a playoff team to attract big FAs is difficult if not impossible to quantify given that there are only a million other factors at play. On top of that, many of 'our talents' that would be showcased likely will not be part of the Rockets next year.

If Playoff Dwight comes back and puts up solid performances, well he's probably chasing dollars this summer anyway. DMO, Smith, and Jones carry the same risk. So are we just going to tell JB to only play guys like Bev, Brewer, Ariza, Harden, Capella, Beasley, and others who are locked in for next year or longer? Even JB himself is most likely gone so whatever team you and other FAs see getting whooped by GS/SA will NOT be representative of the team we'll see next year.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this isn't a regular off-season where only a few teams will have cap space to sign big name FAs, where making the playoffs could set you apart from the other non-playoff suiters. Pretty much EVERY playoff team will have max dollars to throw at people. This downplays the advantage of Rockets boasting a prior playoff appearance, especially given that team will not be the team of the future.

Subjectively quantifying the value of making the playoffs with both of those things in mind, I'd say that value is substantially less than what you'd get from the 12th or 13th pick of the NBA draft.

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Well said Cod.

10. Nook

Nook Member

For a team with experience less than a season ago of reaching the WCF, making the playoffs and getting throttled by SA or GS isn't going to do much. The Rockets have no focus or structure or chemistry, they are not on the same page and not working towards a common goal... This isn't the Rockets 2-3 years ago that are absorbing the experience and growing from it. Half these guys either don't care (Jones) or will be gone (Howard/DMO).

The only saving grace would be this group getting humbled, but that won't happen... If they lose in 4-5 they will throw their buddy (Bickerstaff) under bus and the Rockets will have a half dozen new rotation players.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

What is a first round asskicking gonna add to Les and Morey's pitch to the likes of Kevin Durant this summer? At least when Dwight came here 3 years ago, he was joining a young team on the rise that had just come off a 45 win season and a respectable first round showing against OKC. Now we're an aging team that'll be lucky to finish .500 and win a single playoff game against the Warriors or Spurs.

Plus Dwight was leaving a dysfunctional Lakers organization. This time around, WE'RE the dysfunctional franchise. No way in hell is Durant coming here. And I'd rather not throw big money at the likes of Harrison Barnes. He's a good player, but not a star. But knowing Les and his aversion to rebuilding, he'll probably panic and do just that.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I understand heypartner's point of view here. We probably aren't going to move the team's needle with the 12th pick (or thereabouts). And playoff experience could be good for the young 'uns. If one believes in the Harden era, then we probably need to hit a home run in free agency and not build, near-term, through the draft.

As for a "wake up call" for the team, not making the playoffs would be a good dose of that. I don't think playoff spankings are more of a wake-up call than losing out to the pathetic Mavs and the young Jazz.

Selfishly, as a fan, I just don't want to watch this low-fire group get burned up in a playoff intensity sweep. It just sounds like torture to me. I think that's my tunnel-visioned end game opinion that we should just quietly bow out and start working on next season.

1 person likes this.
  13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's actually the biggest reason I want them in the lottery. Even more than the pick. This organization has a basketball philosophy that at times borders on delusional. We all know the infamous "coaching doesn't matter" take of Morey's(which I sincerely hope is no longer the case after this season). But remember also how he felt the Portland loss a couple years came down to a matter of coinflips? The fanbase was furious over that loss. Morey and Les seemed to think it was just bad luck. What if we sneak in as the 7th or 8th seed and take the Spurs or Warriors to 6 games? I swear management will think we're on the right track and will bring most of this team(and coaching staff) back.

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

A Lottery pick that will most likely be another Marcus Morris?

I would much rather see the team have a chance to compete in the playoffs, win or lose. As disappointing as this season has been, as Rockets fans we are also a little spoiled to have a team that is competitive nearly every year. Missing the playoffs is not much fun. Talk to a Sixers fan or an Orlando fan, and ask them how exciting it is missing the playoffs and getting high lottery picks every year.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree...win 5 of the next 6, but I think we need a players only meeting to talk about it.

Truth. I'm not sure what I feel anymore. Does wanting the lotto pick make me less of a fan? Would I like this team having more playoff experience? Maybe, but do they really need it? Not sure the guys I'd keep on the team will grow from a probable first round exit.

I always want success first for the organization, but I also want to think realistically. Is this team talented enough to do damage in the playoffs? Yes. I'm not convinced that part of this team truly cares enough to have said success.

I never want the team to lose, but feel it's time to reboot.

16. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

As a fan and as a competitive person that played sports, i get ticked at seeing these loser mentality posts. I understand that this has been a disappointment of a season and that we may not beat GS or SA, but I'll take my chances in the playoffs any day over hoping a 13th or 14th pick can become something. If the 94-95 Rockets would have jusy bowed out and packed it in, then we would only have 1 championship. Positive thinking

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wow.

Half of you guys seem to be taking offense that someone is pointing out how playoffs have historically proven value in three ways: experience (this would apply to Beasley/Harden/DMo), FA attraction (like how we got Ariza two yrs ago...lottery teams historically have trouble signing other teams' worthwhile FAs...look it up), and increased trade value for role players for summer trades (one good game is known to overvalue role players temporarily).

Does that mean those three different was of getting value out of a 1st round exit, has higher value that a late lottery pick? Who knows.

Just stop saying people are "idiots" for wanting to win 6 games in a row to end the season and then see what kind of resolve Harden and Beasley have in the playoffs after such a dreadful season (DMo, Capela and Bev too), and that it is a complete waste, as if nothing of value ever happens in a 1st round exit.

If you want to call me stupid for wanting that, then I'm willing to bet that you just don't like NBA basketball nearly as much as I do.

18. rockets13champs

This game got me so nervous im gonna throw up

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Don't really care if the rockets make the playoffs or not, but I think a 4-2 finish would be enough to get the 8 seed.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

easy Tiger, it's just one game. Stay calm. We'll turn the corner.