1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard & Harden Era has FAILED

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DFresh, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

You're just now declaring this? It has been pretty obvious almost since the beginning of the season. Of course there will be big changes this offseason. At least the Beasley addition makes the rest of this season interesting. I hope we get to see more of Goudelock too. There are other players worth keeping next season, too -- Capela, Ariza, Harrell. Personally I'd like to keep Motiejunas.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Harden is an immature wreck and so is Howard. I hate to say it but having a family and dedication to only one woman might make these guys better players. Having that one woman and children keeps a guy grounded and motivated to be better.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

As long as this team is profitable, it's a success. Amirite Le$?

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No successful Era since the Hakeem Era
    and no successful era before then either

Cause Harden and Howard
    has been more successful than any era since then

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The key to your statement are the words "has been". The new era will be Harden and someone else, it's time to say goodbye to the circus show that is Dwight Howard.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yeah we need mature stars with stable lives. People might find this silly, but a grown ass man who keeps smiling through losses and joking around while playing poorly and another who hands out dollar bills at strip clubs for every point he scores that night is not exactly what you want out of your stars correct?

I'd say this era has indeed been an utter failure, mainly because of these two guys, Morey & Leslie who banked on running and gunning and did not believe in getting a good coach. This organisation has lacked a good vision ever since big Yao went down and actually since Leslie took over we've been star chasing and got lucky we let JVG & Adelman run their own show for the most part. After Yao went down, it was all Morey & Leslie.

I will take the Yao-Tracy era over this one any day too. Two good coaches, great role players, the 22 game winning streak, the 2009 playoffs. I felt a lot better about that one run than I ever did last year. It was a lot of hard work over the year that paid off in a second round appearance where we showed heart and never gave up.

The Harden era is still not over though so maybe in a few years we just look back at this part with Howard as the failure.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alternatively, it's possible that with Howard gone, we still struggle, and then we'll know at that time that it wasn't just Howard as the failure. Time will tell.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

To me, it's more of schitty coaching era. A stern coach who isn't clueless like JB and mchale would have done wonders with this motorless team.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

I.Cannan and Dwight have a great chemistry

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

d12 has checked out, JSmoove is good as gone, Brewer is so up and down. It doesn't matter who's here if James doesn't play D. You can't cover him up

11. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This. I feel we are back to "Kicking the can" and "Why are we not as great as the Spurs or GSW?"theme

We are just not that great feeling

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

BULLCRAP that it was "overrated"

All comebacks are due to one team's play getting worse for a stretch and the other team's play getting better. Its not like the Clips just "handed" Rockets the games, they had to earn it away.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The hard fought series win against the Clips felt like a miracle

1 in 5 or 6 years kind of miracle, that WC finals outing was that rare

15. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

It hasn't failed, it just hasn't lead up to it's FULL POTENTIAL, or won us a championship.

Anytime you make it to the Western Conference Finals with a DUO in a 3 year period, it is a success no matter how you got their, just not the ultimate success.

We also won our division last year in God knows how long. So definitely NOT a fail.

Moreso a lack of COACHING to really make it work from day one.

16. buffalobills!!!

Got dominanted by the Clippers most of the series (including the games without Paul). We needed a miracle to win turn the tide. Being the best of the pretenders when you have Dwight and Harden and are trying to "win now" is failure

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

1) The 1-3 comeback was EPIC and will be mentioned every time a team is down 1-3 and plenty times when a team is down 1-2.

2) Advancing to the Conference Finals is a historical and a respected, notable franchise happening.

Those 2 feats are better than anything postseason since Olajuwon.

Does the 22-game winning streak beat either of those H&H feats?

2015 Rockets also have the best record since Olajuwon.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It was not just any comeback. It was a one in a thousand chance comeback. (I believe there was a metric that said the Rockets' chance of winning the game at one time toward the end of the 3rd quarter was about .01%.)

The comeback is not overrated. It was epic. I loved it. The WCF appearance is overrated. People keep using that as if we were legitimately the second best team in the West. We were only one of a few teams that had a chance getting there. The Spurs could have beaten the Clippers and then beaten us. The Clippers would have beaten us if not for that miracle choke job. Do you remember that we were blown out 3 times and on the way to the fourth time in that series? The point differential was -3 despite the fact that we won one more game. We could have lost HCA if the Spurs didn't mysteriously lost their final regular season game.

Even Morey admitted that a lot of things lined up just right (meaning luck) for us to get to the WCF.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sorry. That was not really a hard fought series, other than a little more than a quarter. You guys really forgot how pathetic their effort was in about 3 3/4 games? We got blown out at home by the Clippers who just finished a really hard fought series against the Spurs and lost Chris Paul.

20. houtown

houtown Member

Even if this organization had Michael Jordan and those Bulls teams, they would be figure out how to ruin it at the time.