1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Beasley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. i3artow i3aller

Wall was #1 in 2010. Beasley is from the 08 Rose draft. Liberon being from alternate universe confirmed.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Was he? Dang sorry. I get the Rose and Wall draft classes confused quite often. Beasley was a high draft pick yet didn't have Rose's career I guess. They were neck and neck that year. And I should know better since that was the 22 game Rocket win streak. Thank you for correcting me. ;)

3. i3artow i3aller

No worries, mate.
    The important thing here is that Beasley was/is a beast.
    I hope he gets regular minutes here in Houston and that this is the beginning of Mike finally taking advantage of his otherworldly talents on the big stage.

4. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Beasley has been impressive so far. I'm inclined to believe he has become a largely consistent teammate.

His problems in the past have not been basketball related. If he has now proven to show up every day and play hard in the role prescribed for him, then he might be the missing piece :)

5. Asian Sensation

Another trick out of Morey's hat. Beasley signing >>>>> Kevin Martin or Joe Johnson. I know it's only been a few games but it's hard not too be excited. He's still young, he's playing hard, seems focused and dialed, we got him for nothing, fits in well not just on the court but his teammates seem to like him as well, legit #2 creative playmaker we've been seeking, I never knew he was so good at finishing with his off hand, midrange jumper is money, and he looks like a stud running the break with Harden in transition. Well done Morey well done. Nobody expected or predicted this one.

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

That recreational plant is overrated, and if you are an athlete or whatever, impairs your ability to perform your best.

7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Has he even shot a three yet? I can't recall, weird to see someone other than harden making mid range shots

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Wow great statline. How are some people complaining? Not one three either, I love it!!! He could be our crazy X-factor haha

9. Grixo

Grixo Member

I'm astounded, and also pleasantly surprised that he isn't shooting threes. Usually, any minor acquisition on this team spends a lot of their time standing around and jacking up three balls, and smallish power forwards are signed to try and be perimeter shooting stretch fours. I keep expecting him to act like Josh Smith and brick open threes while I scream at him, but he's not interested in that role. Which is good, because he's not a particularly good shooter from distance. He's alright, but I prefer what he is doing now.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post!

Most exciting games of the season coming up for us guys. The basketball gods are going to reward or fandom!

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Beasley could be what Royce White and Terrence Williams could not be as Rockets

BeWell

12. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Haven't seen Beasley play in a while. Im impressed by what he can do out of the triple threat and off post ups. Real smooth creating his own shot. Looks like a player you can just dump the ball to and he'll make something happen, good or bad lol, but its better than standing around doing nothing.

Hopefully he picks up on the schemes and meshes with the other guys. Any plus defense or rebounding from him is gravy.

13. belly664

belly664 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ByOHkrY_ztg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. kevtse

kevtse Member

bye bye Josh!

15. Chamillionaire

Beasley > MT, TL

Not even close. Wonder if Goudelock gonna get burn?

16. Chamillionaire

Wish KJ would step up it a little more.

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

Beasley still looking like he's high, what's up with his eyes? Dumb fouls too..not sure he can produce over a long period of time.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is no doubt that he can be a multidimensional threat. His ability to put the ball on the floor and finish at the rim, make FT's, mid range jumpers, rebounding plus athleticism is very welcome on our Rockets.

Consistency, defense, passing and keeping out of foul trouble/ avoiding bad shots is what will keep him in the league.

Go Beasley! Go Houston Rockets!

19. supercoolBeas

supercoolBeas Member

Long time Beas follower here ever since his rook season..

That game definitely gives Rockets fans a solid indicator of what to expect from supercool. The number of attempts, the number of points even in the fewest minutes, that is Michael Beasley ever since his rookie year.

He will make you scratch your head at times more often than not, but when he's on and he's cooking, he WILL cook I'm telling ya. He did it in Miami. He did it in Minny. He did it in Phoenix. He did it in Miami again. He did it in China. He did it in Miami again again. He did it in China again again. And now he just did it in Houston.

His defense ain't actually that bad man. His man-to-man D is actually decent despite the numbers, it's the system D that basically limited his stints in Miami and killed his PT. One small mistake and you would see Spo sub him out the next deadball which killed his confidence. Some Heat fans are divided on this, but Spo tried to transform Beasley into Udonis Haslem especially his early stint there, which is CLEARLY someone who he is not. Haslem is all heart, hustle, defense, and that silky baseline J, basically the ideal role player ala Shane Battier, etc. Beasley as talented as he is clearly ain't got the factors to be that. There were times that even Wade got frustrated with him and you could see it. Not even surprised the second he got shipped to Minny just so Miami could surround the big 3 with Mike Miller instead of Beas. He clearly just couldn't be himself in Miami. It's not totally Spo's fault and he deserves the blame as well don't get me wrong, but who knows how good he could've been right now if he went to a lottery team who simply gave him the freedom to play his game.

In Minny, he scored like 19PPG for a season under Rambis on decent % if I can recall. People will always argue that his % is not that efficient, but that's his game and you can't change the way Michael Beasley plays. That's part of the package as long as you're associated with him. In Phoenix, he had the chance to be the man and prove why he was #2 for a reason. But it was really downhill there. From off court issues to whatever, it was just a trainwreck of a fit.

His stint in the LeBron-Heat era meanwhile was the same ole story. He would come in and instantly be a microwave scorer off the bench, his defense would be meh to decent, but mostly still meh, and that's the reason why he didn't really crack the rotation. Not to mention Miami was full of savvy vets like Ray Allen, Shane Battier, Rashard Lewis. They simply don't have much time to waste on Beas and just wanted his bonus offensive spark at times.

No one's saying that he can't score. Everyone in the league knows he can. What he needs is to improve his skillset even more and be mentally in it. Those questionable stuff that he continues to pull off, he needs to lessen it. (In the Celtics game, that 3rd foul that forced him to ride the bench was one head-scratcher. Another would be some of those 19 shots that he took) his judgement needs to be better and at 27 with all those journeys he's been through, he needs to put it together. He's not some 19 year old rookie anymore but he still has the tendency to pull off some 19 year old stuff, and that's what's really stopping him to become great....

His defense and passing to my surprise was actually good basing on that C's game. But that's still a small sample size. Very small. I won't be surprised if some gamethreads you would see people soon complaining of his horrible rotations, questionable fouls, I'm still not convinced that he's totally got it. But who knows, maybe he will in a Rocket uniform? BTW, the 0 FTA's last night is not an unusual thing, that's another common Beasley criticism all over the years. He never gets to the line that much, and for a guy who attempts many FG's like him, that needs to change! He needs to get more FTA's and that's always been one aspect lacking in his game. And the long 2's are normal of Beas as too and that will definitely frustrate you at times as well. He really has that bad habit of taking wtf long 2's ever since.

To sum it up. He's a scoring machine that will put points on the board. But you also need to prepare for the other things that comes in the baggage. Some of it is all mental with Beas. The skills are there, but there's still a lot of work. In today's NBA, you would think he would excel more. But for the minimum, I would say Beas is not too shabby of an option to have. Hope he excels more here and see the Rockets advance and have playoff success. ;)

20. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Beasley is far too slow to play defense as a starter. Teams will gameplan to go straight at him. But he is an excellent guy off the bench given he is stroking those mid-range jumpers and working under the glass.