1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Brock Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2016.

?

Do you like the Brock Osweiler signing?

1. YES

68.7%
  2. NO

10.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

21.3%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Nuts are on the dresser.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

all of his guaranteed money is in first two years of four-year deal

• 2016 season: $12M signing bonus, $5M roster bonus, $4M salary
    • 2017 season: $16M salary

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Brock Osweiler: $72M, $37M gtd, $12M signing bonus, salaries $4M, $16M, $18M, $13M</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/707749976726568960" data-datetime="2016-03-10T02:08:38+00:00">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Brock Osweiler has $5 million roster bonus on March 16, $4M base salary in 2016 fully guaranteed along with $16M 2017 base</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/707750181563813888" data-datetime="2016-03-10T02:09:27+00:00">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#362 Commodore, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Denver articles are interesting. Brock signs in Denver those articles clearly have a completely different spin. Brock signs elsewhere, for not "that" much more money and more, seemingly, because he didn't like the situation in Denver, and now it's Elway being a QB guru and knowing what he sees.

Did anybody on the planet think when Manning went back in that it was because of anything other than you simply could t not let Manning have the shot and be in charge?

But such is life. Little things change the story completely. The tuck rule, Wilson's interception, etc. one little change and it's all the difference.

Not sure if Brock will be great or not. Am sure that neither Elway or Obrien know hat either.

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

$12MM number in Year 1 is a coup. That with Allen having a $3.25MM number and Miller probably having around a $5MM number means we still have a lot of space to work with.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Allows is to see how he's doing after two years and cut him if he's not hacking it. Surprisingly brilliant move by Rick Smith. Or whoever it is that actually handles contracts.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Every contract these days is purposely front loaded. Its a pretty standard deal.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus he is oblivious.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I like the deal. Am I convinced that Brock is the guy? No, but I love that they're rolling the dice to find out.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How many years were people clamoring about how difficult it is to acquire a young QB with potential? You really only have 3 viable options:

1. The draft (huge crapshoot, especially when there are no slam-dunk prospects and you're not picking in the top 3).

2. Trade for a younger backup (still a crapshoot, and you likely have to give up draft picks).

3. Somehow a younger QB, with experience, hits the FA market (safest bet, even if you have to overpay to get him to come here).

I was between acquiring Brock and trading for Jimmy G... and we don't really know if the latter was ever on the table. This should certainly be better than trotting out another retread or spinning wheels on getting a QB.

I do agree that this basically starts the clock on the O'brien tenure... they had to eventually commit to a QB with promise at some point, and I bet they're more than satisfied that the candidate they got is a 25 year old with a big arm, positive game experience, tall (an overlooked facet that does make the QB position easier), and from a business standpoint... marketable as hell (Bill Simmon's "good looking QB" theory).

1 person likes this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Nook

Nook Member

You are being irrational... So are you the short fat dude or the fugly chick that wanted a fight?

Honestly Brock handled it fine, he could have crushed that short fat idiot but instead he took his pizza and left.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ryan Mallett is going to be so pissed at Brock Osweiler's contract when he wakes up.</p>&mdash; Eric Rosenthal (@ericsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/ericsports/status/707669326078156800">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Agree with your entire post, except for I'm not sure Mcnair is the type of owner to tie his coach to a quarterback. I could be wrong, though. Especially given how highly he praises O'Brien for his QB work.

To me this is more like McNair gave O'Brien a demand, and he picked his best choice given what was available. Just seems like McNair wouldn't fire him if he failed.

Although, you could kind of say he tied Kubiak to Schaub...

14. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

"when he wakes up"... LMAO!

15. Nook

Nook Member

No the move I would have made (they should have drafted a QB).... but they are taking a chance and I appreciate that.

Something not being considered.... the media keeps talking about Hoyer and Fitzpatrick being as good as Osweiler last season.... Does that lead you to believe he will get MORE out of Osweiler next year?

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Meant to post here.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congrats to my brothers <a href="https://twitter.com/TheMalikJackson">@themalikjackson</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/bosweiler17">@bosweiler17</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MMM?src=hash">#MMM</a> @ Los Angeles, California <a href="https://t.co/3W9RepgPgk">https://t.co/3W9RepgPgk</a></p>&mdash; Von Miller (@Millerlite40) <a href="https://twitter.com/Millerlite40/status/707762385218625537">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Whatever. I'm okay with Brock. He's as much a gamble as a wentz, hack, golf, cook, or lynch.

I think it's 50/50 whether he succeeds or not here. O Briens fate is now tied to Brock.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

OMG that's hilarious!

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Olsen, ftw!

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

One thing you guys need to know about Brock is his talents fit this system much more than Denver. Brock, for the last few years, was learning from Manning and Elway which taught him how to be a professional.

The Texans got QBs who was backups to HOF before. Hoyer and mallett were indeed behind an HOF QB but this is completely different. Hoyer doesn't have the talent to be an NFL starting QB and Mallett on the other hand, never truly took advantage learning from Brady.

The last game where Brock was benched for Manning, if you watched that game, you will see that he did have a good game, but it was just a unfortunate things didn't turn out well. One INT he threw, was a perfect but his receiver bobbled it and it bounces off the hands of the receiver and the DB intercepted it. The other interception, his arm was hit right when he threw the ball. He made some great plays in that last game, but those plays ended in Fumbles.

Brock last season, looked posed even when the pressure was in his face. He took sacks after sacks and still made smart reads and threw accurate passes. The problem at times were his O-Line had trouble protecting him. He is still young and only getting better.

Sure, they may over pay him but that's what you do to get a young and talented QB. Signing Brock makes so much sense for Houston. It's better than going for Brady's backups like hoyer or Mallett. It makes much more sense than drafting guys like Hackenberg, or Paxton Lynch and hoping they will become decent starting QB. But the problem is, the Texans can't wait that long to see if those rookies developed while Hoyer is at the helm.

Signing Brock gives the Texans more options in the draft, which they can now address other needs like Tight Ends or another WR. Sure, the Texans can still draft Hackenberg or whatever and develop them so 4-5 years later, maybe they can take over. But for now, Brock makes this team better than a Hoyer, Weedan, or Yates.

The Texans got themselves a young 25 year old QB who is talented, has incredible arm strength and mobility, and confidence. What made me excited about this signing is when Brock Osweiler was facing a full on rushed by defenses, he step in to the pocket, makes his read and made good accurate throws while Hoyer etc, would completely fold when facing a rushed.