1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Free Agent News

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 7, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Texans re-sign Chris Clark

2. justtxyank

Ben jones is leaving, signing with titans

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Source right here. Not ideal, Jones was the #1 priority entering FA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Confirmed with source close to the team that Ben Jones will sign with the Titans.</p>&mdash; Jim Mudd (@JimMudd) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimMudd/status/707369519132463104">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

Who cares? He sucks and is easily replaceable.

Fat Goober.

5. justtxyank

I consider jones to be pretty replaceable and not in the same tier as brooks

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

So here's that McClain sound:

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/250923642&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Latest on the Texans & Osweiler?

They're interested. I know they are. I believe he'll stay there. They won't give him Sam Bradford money because they don't have it. Sexton is doing his due diligence. I do not expect the Texans to get Osweiler. He'd be crazy to leave there with a Super Bowl team. Whatever the Broncos have offered, they'll go up. If they were to let him get away, they'd have no one. Do like they Hoyer? Texans will give them Hoyer. Broncos aren't stupid. They'll find a way to keep Osweiler. They(Texans) like him after watching him in the preseason the past two years. He's the ideal Bill O'Brien QB. ... That is their biggest need. If they don't get him, they'll have to go back to the draft.

The owner was so vocal about going to get a QB. Are you saying Houston won't go the extra mile to secure Osweiler?

No. They have too many other needs. The owner said draft a QB. ... You take any QB off a divisional team last year other than Peyton and put him on the Texans, would they be in contention for the Super Bowl? The answer is yes. That is something that has eluded them. I don't expect Osweiler to come here.

If Osweiler was your QB, would you guys be a Super Bowl contender?

I have no idea. I do know this: they wouldn't be a contender to be beat 30-0 and have the QB commit 5 turnovers and not put a point on the board. They're good coaches of mediocre QBs. They think Osweiler can be pretty good. I think Peter King said yesterday Elway thinks he can be a star. I've seen enough from O'Brien & Godsey to think whoever they want, they know what they're doing. They know what they want. ... Unlike Kubiak, they put a lot of pressure on them at the LOS. Kubiak tries to take the pressure off his QBs.

Reaction to Kubiak and so many others winning a Super Bowl?

People were happy. The last year, people were fed up. ... I am so happy for him and all those he brought up there like Wade and those assistants. Here, people wished him well. Everyone knows he's a class act.

Arian Foster have anything left?

I'd be shocked if he did. He turns 30 in August. Last season alone, he had two major surgeries in which he wasn't even touched. ... If I were going to sign him, and I'd wait until TC, I'd wait as long as possible and not count on him to be the main guy.

You've covered the NFL for a long time and have seen some of the greatest defensive players of all time. Where is J.J. Watt on that list?

LT & Reggie White were the greatest defensive players I've seen. ... Right now, I'd put Watt right up there with them. If he stays healthy, he says he can better. If he says it, I believe him.

#266 J.R., Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

He actually is a good center. Not elite or anything but a solid, above average player. When you consider he's entering his prime and getting better, it should have been a priority to bring him back.

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

No, he's not good, he's a fat goober. Just sign Louis Vasquez.

9. justtxyank

McClain saying the Texans don't have the money is bizarre

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I don't know if Doc actually has a reputable source here but if so LOL.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NBA friend says <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> offering <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Osweiler?src=hash">#Osweiler</a> <br>4@$15.5mil? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLFreeAgency?src=hash">#NFLFreeAgency</a> <br>Says a <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash">#Broncos</a> exec went OFF on a call w/R.Smith &amp; was pissed!</p>&mdash; Doc Rocket (@Thedocrocket) <a href="https://twitter.com/Thedocrocket/status/707373807179137024">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. How much football do you actually watch?

12. showa13

showa13 Member

He is solid, but that's about it. He was definately not the top priority coming into FA(not even the top priority on the line) and is replaceable. Would much rather keep Brooks

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

That doesn't sound reputable. I don't think any professional league works that way. "You're offering this guy more money than us? How dare you!?"

14. justtxyank

Offensive line first two rounds seems possible

15. fearthebeard13

I think you're forgetting about QB.

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Today was national pancakes day at Ihop, I believe he also said he had too many needs for his money while enjoying his free flapjack stack. Dude is a damn disgrace, I have no idea why he represents Houston sports media.

17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Might have more to do with Smith not doing Denver any favors despite his ties there

18. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

That still doesn't make any sense. What kind of favor would be expected? Allowing the Broncos to underpay to keep him when we more desperately need a QB?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ouch. Losing Jones is huge. Now there's absolutely no way the Texans can bounce back from losing Brooks. They have to give him whatever he's asking or they are screwed.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You might as well forget about it if you aren't going to give him an O line. Why create David Carr 2.0?