1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Morey Thought of Lawson before the Season Started

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tksense

tksense Member

Sure, these are all good points, and reasons for his decisions. We can all see that. But I'm talking in terms of how good he is, he can become better if, like I said earlier, make more decisions based on understanding of basketball functions and their fit. Sometimes u can get a cheap player, but in his mind, it's "let's try it". That's cool.

But the superior GM can interpret the results ahead, and decide against "trying" it out... That's called INSIGHTS. Morey has much less basketball insights than the Spurs group and the dubs ppl and especially Jerry West. Dubs owner know West is the best guy, so he shoot for the best and even gave him ownership offer I think. Insights go a long way, and it did here for the dubs.

They know what they need and focus on specific kinds of players to go after. So they draft for attributes and "fit"... Rookie contracts are the cheapest and Morey knows that. However, Morey doesn't have the basketball insights to judge players by their attributes and fit. He only go after high potential or low risk high reward stuffs. That's why he is second tier, not first tier.

When he started I only expected to get better and he even talks about this part of basketball which led me to believe he's trying to learn. But recent result shows he got stuck instead of progressing. Just saying if he learns this really, he has potential to climb up the rank.

2. dmoneybangbang

Quite a few assumptions and generalizations there. Let me start off with, what kind of team do you expect Morey to build?

3. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

Sorry for asking but what's the protection on that first round pick we traded Denver?

4. tksense

tksense Member

Sure you can call it assumption or generalization. Of course every decision are made with foresight before arriving at it. When I say he gambles on talent but rather than attribute, this is a tendency which even he readily claims. My statement doesn't mean he has zero knowledge about player attributes, I am saying he is obviously lacking it compared to the top GMs, hence he is a tier below them.

The generalization come from his body of work and the results we see over almost a decade by now, good enough for us to make judgement and suggest his pattern. When making a short comment on a fan forum, what do you suggest other than generalizing? Even at the end of a case-by-case analysis, the ending conclusions statement will have to be a generalization.

Well what kind of team did I expect? From his early times, he emphasized on the 3s and layup philosophy. One would expect he go for players with such abilities... Many here have wondered about this. Instead, he'd go for Royce white, melo (dingdingding) and the like. One because his eyes light up on undervalued talents, no matter what kind. The other just because he's a star who's max contracts are always a bargain. He tends to get enamoured by value collection, and collect superfluous or redundant pieces sometimes. Filling a team's holes? Not as high a priority than asset collection.

Actually the whole league agrees with his point about 3s and lay ups... Some just does it better, see golden state, and a host of other teams who started shooting lots more 3s now. Golden state builds around their shooters with players good at other skills. Morey at first sounded like he'd be the one who would refine himself for team-building. Few years later, we see more of his ego come out, and this could be one reason he's not learning and improving as fast as we like.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Goes to Denver if we make it to the playoffs.