1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A comical season now bordering on ridiculous, insane and unimaginable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fonzie_004, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we have a 1 . . . but we don't have a 1a.
    Dwight is a nice player but he is more a 2 or 3

That second ELITE player has to have a different yet compatible skillset to Harden

Rocket River

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Last year yes MVP.

The question is will he get back to that or will we get more of whatever this is

3. lionaire

lionaire Member

So what you're saying is that you're like the current Rockets role players that can't shoot for s**t and don't even make cuts which leaves Harden no choice but to make something happen on his own?

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What's better than this comedy on TV right now?

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Donald Trump?

7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

cheap owner lol people think an owner is no good if teams can't go in to the luxury tax.....well they are wrong

some fans just like to kick their own team whenever they can

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he is playing amazing at the moment, career highs across the board

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

you get the team healthy and hope for the best. All we have missed all season is a consistent scoring bench, it has cost us 15-20 wins

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Choose an organizational philosophy towards basketball, agreed between GM and Owner.

Find a coach who is on board with it, willing/capable of choosing staff who are better at aspects of the game than he is and give him the authority to protect the philosophy even in the face of high profile players.

Take feedback from Harden in the process, although they should make it clear he does not decide these things, he's just sharing thoughts and ideas.

Apply the philosophy to every move, every practice, every on court decision.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are trying exactly those things. (All Offense 3pt and efficient shots and Defense around a rim protector and gambling at the perimeter)

From owner down to the players......everyone except owner and GM at some point has been exchanged and let go.

what makes you think it will change all of a sudden?

Especially those coaching changes have been hurting the team

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Agreed. If you take out the first 3 games and then the last game and a bunch of other games in between, he is at a career high in 3 pt %

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And if you ignore 50% of the game of basketball aka defense or ignore his astronomical turnover numbers... CAREER YEAR!

14. Mr. Clutch

If you only look at some stats, like ppg which everyone knows is the most important

15. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Its just a mess in Houston. Ive been upset since week 2. Hopefully this team wont play like garbanzo when I see them in Charlotte.

This season at least in my eyes is as bad as when Steve Francis was here, at least he was enjoyable to watch, but this product that Houston has is just bad for the eyes.

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Well we know Harden likes to do a few things:
    -Dribble the clock out
    -Drive to the basket looking for contact
    -Shoot Contested threes
    -Pass last minute

Harden is probably overwhelmed right now and thinking that he has to do EVERYTHING in order for this team to succeed, since you know, he was basically MVP last season (amongst his peers). However, more often than not, when someone tries to do too much or take on responsibilities they cannot handle, things usually get worse (See this season's record).

If we are to reload, a few things need to happen.
    -Straighten out Harden's role (Play SG or Play PG, don't try to do both, it makes other players jobs difficult)
    -Find a bigman who can play in the paint but also has a mid range game so he can play with Harden and post up when he's either not in or Harden needs to take a break on Offense. (Vucevic, Cousins, Davis, Griffin, etc.)
    -Find shooters who can actually shoot. This may sound stupid, but when you got T Jones, Brewer, and Bev (who has gotten better) jacking up 3s (the whole team has been pretty bad this year) it's gonna be a long season.
    -Depending on Harden's new found role, put an established playmaking PG or an actual SG next to Harden instead of having conflicts. (Harden next to Thornton worked pretty well from my memory)
    -Hire a Coach who will demand respect from his players and punish Harden for running plays on his own (usually leads to clock draining and bad shots). IF we can have a disciplined Offensive and Defensive system, I believe the pieces that remain here will be much better off.

Just my 2 cents.

#36 LCAhmed, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

He's 23 turnovers from matching his season turnovers from 2 years ago. So like 4 more games.

18. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

Hold on a second. What you are saying is that the Rockets are just a "consistent scoring bench" away from being 48-8? The 2015-16 Rockets, if they had a "consistent scoring bench", would have the second best record in the league, only 2.5 back of the HISTORICALLY good season that the Warriors?

This is one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I will read in the next 10 years.

19. SemisolidSnake

Bingo. You find the best possible coach that's strong on defense first, flexible on offense (i.e. not feeling any need play Morey's rigid system if he feels it's a failure), and then give then give him power to not take crap from any of the players. If Harden doesn't like it, Harden is expendable.

There are not many NBA teams that have won championships that have NOT had good to hall-of-fame-level coaches as well. Coaching in professional sports is always underrated by everyone even when you have blinding examples of teams that are consistently good because of their coaching.

I think building the team around Harden's style just to keep Harden is suicide for the team. Harden's style is "give me the ball every time, and I'll come up with something...maybe." Suicide.

20. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

I don't think DM sees Harden turning down max money so the next free agency period will be key for the direction of the team regarding whether or not we get people to supplement JH (or ppl for JH to supplement). If we don't get anyone to help harden and we aren't competitive AND he wants to leave then it'd probably be a S&T and we could get a lot back for him...probably picks and a young talent from a team(s) who need that one player to "win now". The worst scenario is if we strike out in free agency and Harden stays....and Harden + role players puts us in another treadmill of mediocrity. But just to be clear, I really don't really see JH leaving max money even with a S&T unless things go horribly. We've got to convince someone to play with him...so I'm hoping he turns the corner with his defensive effort because I don't think anyone who wants to win wants to play with someone who doesnt show 100% effort.

I know Morey is getting a lot of hate right now but I think he's proven he won't do anything rash and handcuff this team's future in a desperate hail mary attempt to fix a season gone wrong.