1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Dekker headed to the Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

About damn time. Press release:

1 person likes this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Meh. He will fit right in. He belongs there.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. skyline07

skyline07 Member

WHO???

BigShasta likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's healthy?

Hope he can get called up for some games before the end of the season. I know many are down on him but I think he can become a good player.

5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Good to see he is back to playing basketball. Hopefully he gets a good six weeks of healthy ball in the valley and then we can see him in spot duty with the Rockets towards the end of the season.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think if he stays healthy we will see him play with the Rockets at some point this year, especially if the playoffs are out of reach. I think it's too early for predictions, but I don't see him being with the big squad long term.

SD really needs to work on his shooting while he's in the valley.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Slow footed - looks busty.

DD

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Best of luck to him...but I didn't get the pick then and I don't get it now.

9. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Nice! So JB wasn't lying this morning on 790. He said Dekker was close to coming back and he would go down to the Vipers to try & catch a rhythm.

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Again, why the hell do we continuously trade good role players that show they belong in the NBA for draft picks that produces guys like this??? Morey CANNOT be trusted to draft anyone.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What are the odds that he goes out with an injury again before he gets back on the Rockets squad?

12. Mr Chuck Norris

Somehow i'm not excited

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I mean seriously, outside of Chandler Parsons, has Morey drafted a legit NBA starter???? I dont count Batum since that was probably under direction from Portland if I remember correctly. He's had 9 1st round picks...NINE!!!!!! ONLY ONE LEGIT STARTER and that was a second rounder.

Why the hell do people keep cheering everytime he does some magic to get a draft pick??

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

THIS Is why I am not excited about a draft pick..

DD

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Rick Smith at his finest

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Too much soy.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Very small percentage of mid to late first round picks are legitimate NBA starters.

He's managed to find plenty of quality rotation players (Patterson, Landry, Parsons, A.Brooks, Capela looks promising, D-Mo, Budinger) which is all you can really ask; just hasn't been lucky enough to find a star caliber player later in the first round. He did manage to turn two of them (Lamb + additional pick) into Harden which is impressive.

I'd count M.Morris, R.White, Canaan as clear misses/busts. Dekker is incomplete.

18. rockets13champs

FINALLY HEALTHY I CAN SEE BIG THINGS COMING FOR MY MAN. This is why we traded MT.

SamFisher likes this.
  19. thething

thething Contributing Member

I thought Brooks was a legit starter at one point, but I see what you mean. There are a ton of very good role players on his list of draftees, but zero all-star level players. Hope this year is different. It might be the highest pick he's ever had (his highest so far is number 12 in 2012 (Jeremy Lamb).

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What constitutes as an NBA starter? Daryl obviously drafts guys that are relied on to start at times in the NBA, but yeah Parsons is really the big standout as a career starter. Brooks can be safely called starter quality at least the first few years in the league, and Capela shows nice promise.

Aaron Brooks - 182 career starts
    Landry - 83 career starts
    Patrick Patterson - 65 career starts
    Chase Budinger - 50 career starts
    Marcus Morris - 112 career starts
    Parsons - 310 career starts
    Canaan - 45 career starts
    Covington (should get credit for signing him as rookie) - 79 career starts
    T. Jones - 106 career starts
    Motiejunas - 80 career starts
    Capela - 35 career starts (in 1.5 seasons in only 65 games play. That's a good percentage to show some signs of potential)

But the fact is he does draft LEGIT NBA PLAYERS.

This whole notion that Morey all the sudden sucks at drafting is purely idiotic. What maybe you could say is that his draft picks are too safe. The big examples by DD and the Morey critics were the Patterson pick when Whiteside & Larry Sanders were still on the board. Those criticism while I understand where you think YOU will be able to fix questionable talented players, there is a counter argument to those too.

So again this whole argument against Morey's drafting is pretty insignificant over the whole timeline of his tenure as GM. He's OBVIOUSLY at least decent.

And every argument ALWAYS leaves out the fact that where he's drafted (never truly inside the top 12) is at a place where LEGIT NBA STARTERS are actually drafted, and the data shows pretty loud and clear that LEGIT NBA STARTERS aren't drafted 14 to 31 where Morey has been drafting pretty much the entire time he's been a GM.

If Morey was drafting for the Sixers who will have had 3 to 6 years at least in the top 5 and he didn't land LEGIT NBA STARTERS then yeah.. then you can say that Daryl Morey sucks at drafting.

1 person likes this.