1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough with the "Morey sucks at drafting" nonsense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Feb 18, 2016.

1. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Yeah, and that stud had the spreadsheet knowledge on Ty Lawson that has led us to this fertile promise land. Oh waaaaaait...

What are the examples you are talking about? He signed multiple people to terrible contracts over his years here (Lin, Bev, Brewer, etc), how is that being a master of analytics?

2. malakas

malakas Member

forgive me for not considering Harrell a franchise cornerstone...?

:confused:
    And he's a second rounder..while the discussion was about firsts.

3. dmoneybangbang

We improved every year until this year with harden. You complain we "flip, flip, flip" and Morey resigns most of the same team who got us to the WCF.

It sucks we regressed defensively from last season but how is that a foreseeable issue?

You're just trying to throw crap at the wall and hoping it sticks with your criticism.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think so. I mean what other teams are you referring to?

The teams that have sucked for years and are playing their higher lotto pick players?

I have yet to see an example of a DM pick leave the Rockets and go on to be something amazing. The closest to that are Lowry and Dragic. Lowry himself has admitted to having maturity issues in his time with the Rockets and he left in essence to get us Harden. They should have kept Dragic... but then again, Dragic is ridiculously overpaid right now.

AB, Landry, Parsons, PPat, Lamb, Budinger, Canaan... these players ahve all been pretty much worse on their new squads. Marcus Morris might be an exception... but nobody can be crying over that right? Moving him was effectively a salary dump that allowed the team to sign Dwight (and got the pick that had them select Canaan).

I'd be more focused on the actual draft selection than the development... but even there, I think DM is in the upper half of the league. The miss on Kwahi is the big thing to haunt him. Guess what? The TWolves selected Derrick Williams 2nd that draft. The Wizards selected Jan Vesley. Jimmer Fredette went 10th. Etc. A lot of people missed on him.

But he has definitely NOT pulled out an AMAZING draft pick in his history, and when your main rival, a team that is so consistently good, has one even remotely high pick in forever, which it only has because it says we have to go get this guy and makes a trade to move up, and then uses it to pick a guy who is now a top 10 player... damn man, that hurts and is hard to live down as the GM of the team just down I10.

I mean, he's missed before, too.

But by now, if he wants to be considered one of the best, he needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Is it a lot to ask? Sure. But, again, when a team like the Spurs, so consistently, year after year, almost without fail, finds the guy, somehow where they're picking - Splitter, Hill, Kawhi, etc. - well, its fair as fans to say please up your game just a bit.

As has happened almost every year since forever, all the top teams in the NBA, once again, are there by virtue of a player they drafted themselves, being a key player or the key player. There's other players they've added to that (Iggy, LMA, Lowry, etc.) but in all cases, their own picks that worked out are right in the middle as key cogs.

The Rockets do not have that, and have not had that. And that needs to be rectified...

Aside: While I absolutely hate the outcome in Philadelphia, I understand the strategy and process. They've been as unlucky as they could get with the lotto balls.. and in most cases there's not a ton of players they should have otherwise chosen. But then, you can only take some many bigs, so many risks (injured players, overseas players) and so many years without actually trying to win.

5. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Can you really call Harrell a good draft pick yet? He could end up being another D League all-star type that just doesn't translate to the NBA. I'm excited about him, but I'm not ready to put him up there.

It's sad because Morey's drafts started great. It's making me wonder how much was due to Adelman. Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Luis Scola, Patrick Patterson, Nikola Mirotic, Chandler Parsons. But man his recent drafts suck! Royce White, Terrence Jones, Nick Johnson, Sam Dekker, etc. Now if Harrell becomes something, that will help matters. But when I look at our early draft history and how many hits we got vs what we do now, and it's like something happened with Morey's ability to scout talent.

Thoughts?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope I have been questioning his methodologies and lack of consideration for team style fit and coaching for years.

And I have had enough, he is as much of a problem as the lazy players are...

DD

7. Stan Rogers

Stan Rogers New Member

Because he continued to bring in defensive sieves (Lawson, Thornton) while letting defenders walk. At one point Morey cut Shaun Livingston in order to keep Scott Machado... How do people give this guy such a pass on this website?

8. dmoneybangbang

How many of those guys have gotten their first non rookie contract? Seems your annointing some of those players before they reach it yet.

Furthermore, many of those teams have had multiple picks due to trades and/or being in the lottery.

It's a complex issue that doesn't have a easy answer. Perhaps a better metric would be the type of contract the players receive after their rookie deal.

9. dmoneybangbang

Keep moving the goalposts.

You act like Morey is just picking players and coaches out of a lineup.... Timing and context is very important as there are 29 other teams trying to out do us... We have had a winning roster for how many years now? Basketball is very hard to win in.

10. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Maybe I'm attempting to be too much of an optimist. Believe me, I'm every bit as pissed off at Morey as you are right now.

But if I were to say he's a master of analytics, it'd be due to his ability to find guys like Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, James Harden, & Omer Asik.

Honestly though after looking through the history and our trade acquisitions and draft picks, Morey seems to have regressed from his early years. He had a TON of hits in both drafts and trades. He seemed to always come out ahead in every deal. But since the Harden deal, there hasn't been much Morey has done, either through the draft nor through trades. It's honestly depressing to look back through it all.

My thoughts: maybe Adelman had A LOT more to do with how good Morey looked as a GM than any of us thought.

11. malakas

malakas Member

all I posted WILL get their first non rookie contracts and most of them will be max. Tell me on who wont'. ONE.

12. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

All anyone needs to do is go and look at prior NBA drafts to see how many bums are selected in the top 30. I'd say 75% of them don't end up making it in the league more than 5 years and if they do they are sitting at the end of the bench with no playing time.

The bottom line is that Morey hasn't hit the homerun in the draft that we've all wanted but it has more to do with where we are drafting instead of who we are drafting.[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, I did that. It is who we're drafting. Undersized shooting guards and undersized power forwards.

Year Rd Pk# Name Pos

2009 2 32 Jermaine Taylor (from Washington) SG
    2009 2 34 Sergio Llull (from Denver via OkC) PG
    2009 2 44 Chase Budinger (from Detroit) SG/SF
    2010 1 14 Patrick Patterson PF
    2011 1 14 Marcus Morris PF
    2011 1 23 Nikola Mirotić PF
    2011 2 38 Chandler Parsons SF
    2012 1 12 Jeremy Lamb SG
    2012 1 16 Royce White PF
    2012 1 18 Terrence Jones PF
    2012 2 44 Furkan Aldemir LA ClippersSF/ PF
    2013 2 34 Isaiah Canaan (from Phoenix Suns) PG
    2014 1 25 Clint Capela PF
    2014 2 42 Nick Johnson (from NY Knicks) PG/SG
    2015 1 18 Sam Dekker (from NO) SF
    2015 2 32 Montrezl Harrell (from NY) PF

We're not the ones asking for a home run each draft. We're smart enough to look at our team and evaluate missing pieces. A point guard here, a stretch four there, complementary pieces to the two stars we have. The way it's done West of here on I-10. But instead we try for the undersized shooting guards and try to make them point guards, and 6'8" power forwards who can't rebound. But the undersized shooting guards can't dribble and the 6'8" stretch fours can't shoot.
    It's our GM who keeps announcing to the world we're going for that third star, Bosch, Melo, Durant. He's even gone so far as to put wanted star in the uniform of a current player in front of Toyota Center trying to get said star. We've needed a point guard and a stretch four for awhile. Those are needs that have been available when our number has come up at 12,16, 18, 44, 34 and 25.
    Now we did turn Lamb for Harden, and picked up Capela, but we've passed on a lot of good pg's and pf's taller then 6'8".
    San Antonio has been in the playoffs damn near every year since anyone here can remember. How many blockbuster deals have they made, and where do you think they draft?
    It is who we're drafting. But it's also who we're not developing. Again, look at the coaches on SA's bench and ours.
    That's the real bottom line.....
    If you live and die by the 3, who's your shooting coach? Who's your free throw coach? Who's your defensive coach. Too bad our veterans don't hang around the team like; Murphy (free throws), Bullard (3's), Drexler (shooting), Elie (defense).

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the discussion was actually about second rounders, but then you came in asking about firsts :p

His first rounders need context....

Patterson, Brooks, Capela were good picks, as was Dmo pre-injury.

Morris is questionable, but not a bust.

2012 fiasco was a weak draft....bad time to have 3 first rounders. There were a TON of busts in that first round, even at the very top with Waiters, Robinson, MKG, Rivers.

Dekker pick has an incomplete grade.

Not great, but not bad, given when he drafted.

14. DaDakota

I think MOREY has no clue how to build a proper roster, how to analyze players games and whether they fit together, I think Morey undervalues coaching and leadership.

I think Morey flips players and gets under the tax to save his job instead of doing what is right.

I think MOREY is as much of a problem as the lazy players.

DD

15. DaDakota

KEEP HIDING FROM THE TRUTH about your man crush.

I think MOREY has no clue how to build a proper roster, how to analyze players games and whether they fit together, I think Morey undervalues coaching and leadership.

I think Morey flips players and gets under the tax to save his job instead of doing what is right.

I think MOREY is as much of a problem as the lazy players.

DD

16. dmoneybangbang

Let's wait and see first.

For further context, how much is the cap rising? It's still very tough to see and good a idea how much a player is worth compared to what he actually produces. I'm not saying you are wrong necessarily but that's more complicated than what you are putting forth.

17. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Don't forget Morey also drafted Gay and Batum. Two B level players. But they were traded.

18. DaDakota

Flip Flip flip!!!!

Treading water here we go.

DD

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Gay- drafted in June 2006

Morey promoted to GM - May 2007

You knew that though, right DD?

20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Dude can't draft in the 1st round for **** and not only that but Getting a first in this draft isn't very exciting because it's a terrible draft class.

Welcome Decker 2.0