1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade D-Mo, Thornton to Pistons for first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 18, 2016.

?

Do you like this trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. NO

485 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. malakas

malakas Member

oh sorry. I said I am watching the East I didn't say I am a Piston fan. lol

All I know is that the Bulls and the Heat got very difficult shedules and the Bucks have basically mostly home games. That's all from me about eastern schedules.

2. basketballholic

Where's the first rounder for Terrence, malakas?

Here's the truth about Terrence.

Terrence is Dwight's and James buddy. It's the only reason why Terrence was handed the starting job in 2013. Because they wanted him to start. That is a fact. Morey bent over backwards to do things for James and Dwight to help them play great. This was one of the unfortunate decisions that he made to try to appease them. But he's not stupid. Stupid is expecting to trade Terrence for a first rounder.

If you think Morey is stupid for wasting a second rounder to waive Terrence and assure he is picked up......then what do you think of him trading a second rounder to get rid of Joel Anthony???

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The Pistons will be paying 8 figures to Motiejunas while the Rockets get 4 years of a rookie scale contract to a good player. Personally, I think this is a high risk, high reward move for the Pistons. For the Rockets, they still have the high reward, but don't have the high risk because they won't be in a situation where they have to offer a massive extension to a big coming off back surgery who hasn't played much since his return and hasn't looked good in the little time since he has returned

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think a turn around is realistically expected. we've been saying that all season for how long now. Almost 60 games into the season, there isn't going to be some drastic turnaround with 20+ games left. If people are still waiting on that, they are likely setting themselves up for a huge letdown. The most they have shown this year consistently is that the rockets are a .500 team.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he is, I think one of the insiders disclosed it.

I remember both of us shaking our heads during the Bosh debacle, guess we'll just be putting up with the same act again.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think you're right. Given his recent moves, it would no longer shock me for Morey to give Jones a max contract.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think they are a .500 team anymore.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Those having issues with this move would be the same people having issues with the team getting little to zero value for DMo because the truth is he's a poor-rebounding PF with stunted post-up skills (severe regression shown in his limited time thus far) and a bad back.

I'm actually surprised they were able to get a top-8 protected pick for him. That's more than what I would expect for a Howard trade at this point.

DMo, if healthy, was on track to be a contributor... but its not like he's simply been out a few weeks... he's essentially been injured since the end of last season, now s/p one back surgery, already with a set-back from his initial return, and serious doubts as to whether or not he can avoid further setbacks once his minutes/burden increases.

9. malakas

malakas Member

I think you got a lot of nerve for calling me out when PRE SEASON and PRE 100 jones injuries I said Jones can be traded for a late first, when JEFF GREEN got traded for one.
    Where are all your good predictions bballholic? Still waiting for Rubio to dominate the league.

And yes I think they are both stupid decisions because if Jones was waived he would have been picked up by someone wihtout compensation.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I know. I remember reading that. But I was hoping(and am still hoping) that this was the plan a few months ago and that reality has finally set in for the organization. They were clearly trying to move Dwight, so one would think they've abandoned the "Big Three" plan and are looking to rebuild.

It would be borderline criminal for Morey and Les to waste half the offseason sitting around for free agency just so they can be rejected by Durant like they were 2 years ago by Bosh and Melo.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Dude, don't be ridiculous. We never had any hope of "turning it around."

You people are really going to be pissed this summer when we swing and miss on Durant, and then Morey trades Harden.

12. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

First of all the 2016 draft isn't looking very good at all. Second the Pistons are 5 games out of the 3 seed in the East and they just upgraded their roster with Tobias Harris, D-Mo and Thornton so our pick is easily going to drop to the 16-20 range.. Their isn't a player in that range that is D-mo level and if there is it will be 2-3 years before we see the impact.. These were salary dumping moves and our chemistry sucks and we probably wont make the playoffs.. Just a ****ty year and Morey knows it and that's why he wasn't pursuing anything to upgrade our roster for a run..

13. basketballholic

I'm showing we're still $240,371 into the luxury tax. numbers taken from http://www.basketballinsiders.com/houston-rockets-team-salary/

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to be pissed, I fully expect that to happen. The moves at the deadline were cheapskate moves to get under the luxury to the detriment of the team. No way Durant signs on to a team with an owner like that after having to deal with one his whole career. After the Rockets lose Dwight for nothing and don't lure any top FA's, they'll be right back to hovering right around the 7-10 seed in the West till Harden says he won't return then we'll flip him for scraps and be back at square one with nothing.

Morey totally bungled this whole thing and I blame him for it.

15. chandlerbang21

Thornton was the only dependable scorer off the bench. Now Jason Terry has to carry the bench. Lost a good one there Morey

16. for-three

for-three Member

The two guys I was hoping Morey would go after were Taj Gibson and Jeff Teague. The asking price was probably too high for Gibson, but I think Teague was worth giving up some assets for. Maybe something like the 1st round pick from Detroit, along with Beverly, and jones, or Dekker would have been enough. Teague would have been a perfect fit alongside Harden moving forward. He's on a reasonable deal, in his prime, can create his own shot and defend. I feel like this is similar to missing out on signing Kyle Lowry, in the hopes of signing the big name in Bosh. Now he's missing out on adding good players like Teague, based on this pipe dream of signing Durant.

17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

It's not about contending. Dmo was part of our future.

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3GwjfUFyY6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: How injured was DMo? What was his prospects for full return?

Rocket River

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was cleared to play and had played down in RGV for a few weeks. He would have played tomorrow if he wasn't traded due to Les being cheap.