1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Trade Deadline won’t be able to fix all of Rockets’ problems

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 17, 2016.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Great work here Clutch.

I did want to comment on the thought of selling high on Capela. I'm not so sure I would pull the trigger on that deal if there is on anytime soon.

Reason being is that if you think you are going to need a serviceable center on your roster moving forward (even if you want to go small more and more), Capela gives you the ability to do that for TWO MORE YEARS at an average of about 1.5 million a year. That's a bargain deal, and having that spot covered with at least a serviceable C for that cheap allows you the possibility to not have to go out and overpay for an Omer Asik, or Enes Kanter.

With the Rockets looking to blow it up somewhat, and probably look for more younger players (and likely looking at pitching max deals in free agency) I would think that Capela is one player that is a must to keep. Sure if he gets you a younger cornerstone player like a Blake Griffin or Kevin Love you move him and don't think twice.

But to move him for the sake of getting "some" value isn't what I would do. Unless the Rockets secretly think he's a bad NBA player that won't at least perform serviceablely which I don't think they do.

It sounds like you might be looking at Terrence Jones and thinking that Capela is going to be a similar case where he came out strong in year two, and fizzled out in later years, and you need to sell high earlier in his career. I think we can't let that bad taste in our mouths keep us from ever believing that a young big man will NEVER improve after year two, or at least sustain.

1 person likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I totally agree with dobro. ^^

Capela has enough potential on small enough contract to keep around. Unless he is the deal breaker for a significant upgrade (meaning a second star), it is not worth trading him now.

Basically, if you trade a second year player with high potential for nothing significant, you are giving up on his potential. Kind of like how Portland traded Thomas Robinson to us.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Capela won't be traded. Unless the whole team is to be blown up and I do not think Morey can do that right now.

We cannot get anything valuable for half of the team and the deadline is pressingly closing in on us.

If we had our hands full of good draft picks then Capela isn't the priority.

4. valorita

valorita Member

See high on capella would have been last season summer right after playoffs.
    He has regressed this season, can't catch/finish/dunk/block at the high rate that we hoped for.
    Because we have a couple more years to see what we have, he is not a sell now candidate.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's amazing how we (and Morey) thought last summer that if only we could get a good PG to lighten Harden's offensive load, we would be good enough to contend.

Now we GOT a "good" PG and we are saying even if we GOT RID him, we would still be far from fixing all the problems.

That just tells you that getting a good PG was NOT the only thing we needed. Some people still deny that last year's WCF appearance was fool's gold.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:grin::p

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Absolutely correct, unless James starts playing D at a higher level. You can see the body language of his teammates as he lets his man score at will. Every team's game plan is to attack James on D, either one on one or PnR.

James must play D for the Rockets to be successful, there isn't a defensive scheme that will hide his inept D.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If you're talking about long term evaluation, then yes.

If you're talking about an accomplishment...no. The half court last second shot catapult a team to the finals would happen 1/500 games, but that team is still a WCF/ECF champion.

This team needs to tank, stockpile picks, Morey needs to back the **** off and hire a coach, get some expertise input when it comes to drafting (the guy ends up tossing 14th picks for 2nd rounders just two seasons in). From there, we can only hope for the best.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If your goal is to win a championship, then getting to the WCF by a miracle game (in a series where we got blown out three times) does not get you closer to the goal.

10. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

This trade deadline smells like rebuilding mode to me. Dwight rumors......Lawson rumors....Montejunas trade......sounds like someone wants to blow it all up and hit restart. Problem is this isn't the Lakers. You can't always count on a reload in H-Town.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly and how long before Harden says **** THIS and bails too.

DD

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

The Houston Rockets are making calls to gauge trade interest on Patrick Beverley

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I give it 1 year

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

welcome back brother!!!

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

It will show us who was not part of the bad chemistry. So far D-Mo & MT out who were just fine.

17. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Great analysis. Completely agree.

Although, I hope that the organization re-evaluates things at the end of the season before carving out a clear-cut path.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Never left. Just got quiet. :D

2 people like this.
  19. bonifacendong

bonifacendong New Member

Everything will be fixed when Harden plays defense. But I doubt that day would ever come because he's very selfish. Unfortunately that can't be changed.

Rockets will stuck as long as Harden is untouchable.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch should give you Hakeem status for what you did for Save Our Rockets