1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Another solid game. The Horns play really well against WVU because WVU keeps playing into the Horns hands. The trapping does not work against this team. Shaka practices how to beat trap defenses a lot especially when he has his Havoc defense which is essentially similar. Eric Davis looked great, shot the ball well. Taylor was solid, just fundamentally sound in everything.

Even while Ibeh was in foul trouble, the team didn't lose much ground. This was a really good win against a really good team. To have a sweep against this team speaks to how good the Horns can really be.

Still holding out some hope for Ridley but his status is still unknown and it's probably less and less likely he plays as the more the days go on with that status.

Big game on Saturday with Baylor coming to Austin. They need to take care of business at home. Baylor beat them a couple of weeks back in Baylor, this is a game you answer back.

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

UT beat Baylor in Waco...

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No team in the country will want to play Texas in the tournament. They have proven that they can beat anyone.

4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Anybody going to the Baylor game this weekend? Thinking about making the trip

5. ItsMyFault

Yes, you're right. I don't know how I got Baylor confused with Iowa St. For whatever reason, I can't even remember that Baylor game.

Regardless, they're coming to Austin. Gotta win at home.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Erwin center will be rocking

7. ItsMyFault

Looking more and more like Shaka may get this guy for the 2016 recruiting class. Some have compared his game to Tim Duncan's.

Would be a huge get considering there are already 3 4 star players that Shaka has recruited for 2016. I don't see Marques Bolden coming to UT with all the big time programs after him.

Even though the Horns will be fine next season with guards, I kind of wish they got Terrence Ferguson. His game really reminds me of Terrence Ross in some ways. Very athletic SG. Sadly Avery Johnson got to him and he's going to Bama.

Aside from that, I don't think there's anyone else really out there to recruit for 2016. Overall though with Allen, that would be a pretty good recruiting class for Shaka.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jarrett-Allen-52319

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

One of our worst halves of basketball of the season...possibly worse than some of the early season games

9. ItsMyFault

Yeah that was an awful half. I'm not sure at all why they aren't moving the damn ball to the baseline. I'd rather risk the turnover than to keep playing side-to-side which clearly has not worked.

Went back and watched some of the tape of the first Baylor game, the Horns moved the ball a lot better. They were inside the 3 point line when they made passes to break down this zone D.

10. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

No rebounding or defense in addition to the offensives woes. Out-rebounded 11-6 and I'm honestly not sure how we ended up with even 6 boards. They're shooting 65% because of all of the layups. Cleare is a zero on defense, but everyone has been saying that for weeks.

11. ItsMyFault

Yeah just an all around bad performance.

I think they have to win at least against OU or Kansas to get a 5 seed in the tournament after a loss like this.

If they win both of those, even better. Potentially a 4 seed. Still also have the Big 12 tournament.

The other non-ranked opponents also all have to be Ws. Can't afford any bad losses if they want to move up in tournament seeding.

12. ItsMyFault

Solid game, though the bigs were in foul trouble all game. Ibeh and Claire need to stop picking up silly fouls.

Taylor came up huge in the 2nd half which basically won the game for the Horns. Wasn't really pleased with the defense, but it was a grind out road win. K-State isn't great but they play teams tough at home.

Now on to OU on Saturday. Two huge games coming up. OU and Kansas at the Drum in a 2 games in 3 days scenario. If they can grab one of those two, and beat Ok St. in the final game, I think they're in a good spot to get at least a 5 seed. They are currently 9-6 in the Big 12 with OU coming up who is currently 9-5. Could potentially get up to #2 or #3 in the conference depending on how the last 3 games go.

1 person likes this.
  13. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

Isaiah Taylor was huge tonight, especially when it mattered most. In the final 9 minutes he either scored or assisted on 15 of UT's last 17 points. Foul trouble limited the Texas bigs (Cleare and Ibeh) again, showing how much they are missing Ridley down the stretch.

But It's great they got this win. After that tough tough loss at OU, the close loss at ISU, the Baylor blowout on Saturday.. this could have been a huge confidence blow tonight.

Now moving forward UT has OU @ home on Saturday and Kansas @ home on Monday. If UT can come out on Saturday and play OU exactly like they played OU at Norman, this game is very winnable. They have to improve on how they have played but last two games, but this game should be close to a pickem. The momentum if they win that could very well lead to a Kansan win as well.

As the poster above said, UT most likely is a 5 seed in the tourney right now. However, barring a major collapse, and based off their RPI, tough schedule, and big road wins, the lowest seed I see this team getting in the big dance is a 6. A 5 is probably expected, but with some opportunities down the stretch a 2 or 3 is certainly not inconceivable.

It should be a fun few games, but we all now the conference tourney has the biggest impact on those seeds at the end of the day. How many more days until March??

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

12-0 run on OU to take a 63-58 lead. Wow!

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Roach stuffs Buddy Hield. Run is now 18-0. Complete humiliation of OU in crunch time.

16. ItsMyFault

We locked that mother ****er Hield up in the 2nd half. Good stuff. Love this team.

This is justice for the bull**** officiating from the last matchup. Redemption. **** OU.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it was close to being a 25 or 27-0 run. ou hit that wicked 3. but dang what a close out on that game.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

To anybody with a pulse about UT basketball who missed that game-closing run just now: You have to find it somewhere online and watch.

20. ItsMyFault

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yes he is. <a href="https://t.co/bl8MmEfner">https://t.co/bl8MmEfner</a></p>&mdash; Andrew King (@Andrew_TFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/Andrew_TFB/status/703687838982778880">February 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Best of all Jarrett Allen was in the house to see it all.

Awesome.