1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston has started contacting teams about trading Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bushies

bushies Member

I don't particularly like the trade either, but Worrell just got rekt.

2. Ol Bill Worrell

Bingo.

Anonymous fans on message boards throwing out trade ideas is fun. I enjoy reading that. It's just frustrating that "media" members do the same thing and people automatically take it serious when actuality the "media" member is just throwing out trade ideas like the anonymous fan on a message board.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A rumor is a rumor. Even when Woj writes about something it's not 100% accurate. It can't be or else Woj wouldn't have sources.

I use rumors as a broad gauge of the truth. If there's smoke there's fire.

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

exactly

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Their reputations are on the line. Do it enough and people don't take you seriously. Do it at the wrong times, and you lose access. It's not a game for them like it is for us. So when the "media" throw out information like that, a lot more is on the line for them. They are often wrong if you gauge by the ultimate outcomes of many of these trades, but they may very well be accurately reporting what they are hearing.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

I just heard some guy on TV say that Miami is actually a better defensive team when Whiteside is on the bench. Seems hard to believe, but I guess it could be true.

One good thing about trading for Whiteside right now, is that we get to see how he performs with the Rockets before he becomes a free agent. If he doesn't fit with the Rockets, which is possible, then we just go in a different direction this summer. If he turns out to be the perfect fit, then the Rockets can try to sign him to a contract.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Are you really naive enough to think that Pat Riley and Daryl Morey are the only two men on the planet who would know about any discussions between Miami and Houston? Each has an entire operations and scouting staff beneath them who are typically involved in the process. Many agents are also in the loop, especially when trade discussions involve pending FAs (Howard, Whiteside, Horford), which broadens the circle exponentially. I highly doubt Pat Riley or Daryl Morey called up Adam. However, I do think Adam has good relationships with many folks around the league in lower positions than Riley/Morey, and it's entirely possible that some could be in the loop.

Are there some media members who make up stories for clicks? Of course. As with any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. However, unless you know the person personally or have a specific reason to doubt them, it's kind of a dick move to question their character. Your original comments:

How, exactly, are you in position to know if Adam has any connection to the Rockets? (By the way, I can promise you that he does.) What, exactly, do you know about his credibility or him at all?

If you don't believe the report, just say you don't think it makes sense and explain why. There's no need to take personal shots at reporters simply because you don't think a particular rumor makes sense to you.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Some people notice that when he's on the court he likes to chase blocks and rebounds, and on offense he is the definition of ball stopper. His on/off court numbers suggest that Miami is 2.3 points worse on defense with him on the court.

Whiteside is probably fool's gold.

9. Ol Bill Worrell

I agree but you have to be careful who you are citing. At this point there's almost no reason to even follow or read what anyone writes about NBA trades and Free agency other than Woj if you want accurate information.

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

Thinking about all those morey trades that were accurately predicted/reported on in advance... Just going to sit back & enjoy the ride

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Exactly. It's not to say that info is always perfect -- obviously, many rumors leak because a party on the inside has an agenda, and sometimes a false rumor may advance that agenda. Good reporters can filter fairly well, but it's impossible to be perfect. Other times, someone involved can simply change their mind. It happens.

That said, reporters have to be able to explain themselves. I'll use myself as an example -- if I continually run with false stories, I would need to explain myself to both the people I write for and the people credentialing me from the Rockets. If they don't like my explanation, they can stop paying/credentialing me whenever they choose. It's not a game... this is a reporter's life. So the idea that they're simply throwing out hypothetical trades created in their own minds like fans on a BBS is downright ridiculous.

12. Ol Bill Worrell

Are there some media members who make up stories for clicks? Of course. As with any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. However, unless you know the person personally or have a specific reason to doubt them, it's kind of a dick move to question their character. Your original comments:

How, exactly, are you in position to know if Adam has any connection to the Rockets? (By the way, I can promise you that he does.) What, exactly, do you know about his credibility or him at all?

If you don't believe the report, just say you don't think it makes sense and explain why. There's no need to take personal shots at reporters simply because you don't think a particular rumor makes sense to you.[/QUOTE]

You're right about that. I shouldnt have made it so personal. I was more using Adam as an example of the overall problem with "media". I personally think the trade is idiotic for Miami to get the 2 best players in the entire trade and getting the 4th or 5th best player back. Has nothing to do with Adam's credentials or personal involvement with the team.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Whiteside is bad news, especially for a team like the Rockets.

He does not communicate defensively, he does not buy into a defensive system at all, he free lances... he does not fight or come out on picks or screens. He does not really contribute offensively. He is a TERRIBLE passer.

He also has openly complained about being benched in crunch time, he has criticized his head coach numerous times.

There really is nothing to like other than rebounding and wild block shots, mostly on drives to the basket caused by his inability to properly rotate.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

and where exactly did this guy say he heard from morey diretly about this? he's simply passing along what he's either been told directly by those connected to the situation or overheard attributable to him by having that sort of press access.

that's how these things work. you're looking pretty naive, even stupid, by putting this guy on blast.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You just described the best player on our team right now!

1 person likes this.
  16. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

17. Ol Bill Worrell

I apologized for attacking him personally but lol I just want to point out the irony that you are calling me out and putting me on blast for.....calling him out and putting him on blast.

18. malakas

malakas Member

sorry but not every rumour is the same credible adn about "if media members put their name in the line they aren't taken seriously" say it to SAS, Broussard, Windhorst, Isola and all the other idiots who make up rumours and year after year not only they have a job but people always follow them and quote them and discuss the crap they put out.

When you are right : people talk you up, if you are not : people usually let go.

Sorry but if this guy is proven wrong, it won't do anything for his credibillity in reality. :rolleyes:

And as for Woj listen to his podcast and how he explains his process. He has too much info hours or even days before he posts it, but he double and triple checks everything from real multiple sources before puting it out there. And so does Stein.

19. Ol Bill Worrell

Precisely - It's come to the point where media members are almost rewarded for being wrong/ignorant/uneducated about what they are reporting on just because they provide a short window of entertainment or banter.

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

The BSPN folks are pretty much immune because they have such a broad reach that people listen to them no matter what they are spewing and take it as the gospel. Imagine someone with less access than that trying to do the same, and they quickly get tuned out. Like Ric Bucher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.