1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Sources: Houston has started contacting teams about trading Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

DD & Malakas, yeah ok....and I took it as such...that he is just saying what he has to say.

It was just weird to hear....almost talking down to the fan base or insulting their intelligence. Good on Matt and Lance for straight up asking him in a tone of 'come on this is confirmed, solid common public knowledge now'

Interesting maybe perhaps too that his phone started cutting in and out when they got to this part of the interview. I mean this is Tad Brown. CEO. Way at the top of the brass. Not just any "PR Mouthpiece", but still towing the company line all the same.

2. Fantasma Negro

repped lol

3. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Ok... I'm done with Morey! The main thing this team needs is a coach! A COACH!!! We make the same mistake again and again and again...

4. malakas

malakas Member

listen the media, the GMs and the pr guys and the agents have no problem straight out lying in our faces. They don't give a crap about the fans iq or whatever.

And maybe they are right because people like SAS are stiil on tv and people listen to them even when they spew all the time straight up garbage.

Don't take it personal. Just know that they think that people are mindless sheep who believe anything they are served.

5. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Something along with

Houston in: Batum, Gallinari and Big Al

Denver in: Kevin Love and Future 1st (Charlotte)

Charlotte in: Dwight and Fareed

Cleveland: Ariza and fillers

6. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Why. Would. Cleveland. Even...

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Happy F5 Friday, y'all.

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

postbadlee is back, I hope he and jopat get into a silly argument just for the entertainment value alone.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Let's just say Cleveland would not be enamored with this deal...

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

It could be that the Rockets have already determined that no teams are willing to give up anything of value for renting Dwight for a few months. The Rockets may have to live with Dwight until the end of the season, whether they want to or not.

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hhkn6vj

IT and Amir Johnson and the BKN pick for Howard.

I doubt Boston goes for that though lol.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

The talk with other teams is more a matter of due diligence than not, Rockets sources tell ESPN’s Chris Broussard, who spoke in an appearance on ESPN Radio’s “Mike & Mike” show (audio link). One NBA GM tells Broussard that the Rockets have been gauging interest in him for about a month but have been surprised that no team has put forth an overwhelming offer.

https://t.co/WO7YPI1ezD

Is Dwight Howard gonna get traded in the next 6 days?

I'd lean towards no. Rockets are certainly talking to teams. I've been told this is more due diligence. They know they could lose Dwight as a FA this summer so they're out there seeing what they could get for him. If they get an offer that's really good, they may go ahead and move him. Dwight has come out and said he does not want to be traded. His agent has said the same thing. I've been told by one GM that the Rockets have been gauging interest in him for about a month but they've been surprised they haven't been blown away by any offers. It's gonna be tough to move Dwight for a few reasons. 1) His body is breaking down. Teams are leery. 2) He can be a FA. You could get permission from Houston to see if he'd stay with your team. That's gonna be tough to do. 3) Houston does not want to take back salary. They have to take back about $23M in salary in a trade for Dwight Howard. They don't want to take back a lot of salary because they want to make sure they have cap room to go after Kevin Durant. It's gonna be difficult to trade Dwight. I don't think he gets moved but they're out there talking to teams.

If he gets moved, who blinks? Houston take less than they wanted or trading team give more than they wanted?

I think Houston would get less. Dwight's value isn't as nearly as high as it was a year or two ago. They played well last year without him although he did help them in the playoffs. It would be the Rockets taking less.

Which team in the East could bring in Dwight and make them a legitimate contender? We thought Boston & Toronto. Do either make sense from a fit and deal standpoint?

Toronto is not interested from what I've been told directly. Boston is the team...they are the most active team in the league. They have 8 draft picks next year. They gotta make a move. They have a bunch of players that are pretty good, not great. They have a lot to give up. Most believe they'll make some type of move. Danny Ainge wants a star. He wants to package some of these pretty good players and bring in a star. Dwight fits that bill. That could be a landing spot. Howard makes you a good team if he can stay healthy. Boston is one team being mentioned because the way Danny likes to do business. I'd like to see him in Indiana. I don't think there's much interest in Indiana's part.

Let's say Dwight opts out in the offseason, will teams be banging down the door giving him max money?

There are GMs who told me they don't believe Howard will get a max. But there will be so many teams with money. I do think somewhere he'll get a max. Look at a team like Dallas. He'd obviously have some interest. A team like Dallas and others as well, they don't have to trade for him. That's another barrier to them trading him now. Why give up a lot now when you can sign him in the summer? Some teams will be out there for Dwight. The way this things work, he'll get a max deal somewhere. Earlier in the year it was thrown out maybe Miami would go for Dwight. I haven't heard anything concrete at this point. Miami is in win-now mode. Dwight is a guy that could be a game changer if he went to Miami.

Where does he want to be?

I don't even know if Dwight knows. Obviously he would say Houston but part of that is he knows his image is a waffler, never happy, never content. Now to want to go to another team. The best place for Dwight would be back in Orlando. He never should have left. In his heart of hearts he knows that. He was on a contender, viewed as a top 6 player, image was great, had commercials, he was Superman. Ever since he began working his way out of Orlando, his career, his health & his image have plummeted. It's a shame. He's the poster boy for the grass is not always greener. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=14764769

13. Ns575

Ns575 Member

Another great post JR:grin:

14. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

[​IMG]

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

90% sure he's not traded and Rockets save some face.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah, thanks JR for all your daily posts.....would rep you if i could

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Read through the last 18 hours worth of posts and did a search of the thread, don't see that anyone has posted a link to the Blinebury piece on NBA.com? here's the link:

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/fran_blinebury/02/11/houston-rockets-reaching-out-to-teams-to-see-about-deal-for-dwight-howard/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

And an excerpt:

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Link? I have not heard that anywhere and find that very hard to believe.

19. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I´m convinced this will be a Dwight decision.

Morey is doing what he has to do as a GM, and a as a business partne for Dan Fegan. He is looking at teams willing to pay the max.

He will line up offers on the table and Dwight will have to decide. Is he staying here at the price Morey will pay? Or is he going for the Max?

I really want to keep Dwight, all the stats shown here are true but out of context. And rebounding is a key piece of the game, you don´t just give up elite key skills.

But I agree with Morey, with new rules, you don´t give up Max slots out of loyalty.

20. adoo

adoo Member

informed NBA fans know that DH has been a serial NBA franchise killer.

thru out his NBA career, he has used this period to play his team---the Magic, the Lakers, and now the Rox

just my guess, Celts have enough assets to pay for a rental to help them to go deeper into the playoff and may pull the trigger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.