1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want Dwight to be traded?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ind0fo0, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2016.
  1. Yes - trade him!

34.3%
  2. No

65.7%
  1. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Just a poll in a vacuum - forget about the trade value, who we would get back, etc.

Poll incoming.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't want him to get traded but that's not what's best for the team.

He has to go if he's not coming back next season.

3. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I still think this is a way of both Dwight and the Rockets getting an early look at Dwight's value on the open market. I don't think anyone is willing to give him the full 5 year max, so I don't expect him to be traded.

You never know, though. All it takes is one team to overpay.

4. ind0fo0

Then the question goes back to the value we get back in a trade. Just looking at this season without looking at future assets we can get trading him to a contender, we lose 0-4 in a playoff series without Dwight. He is a beast in the playoffs.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I don't want him gone but he's going to walk in the off-season so we need to get some assets back or we'll look like the idiot Lakers.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I have mixed feelings.

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

In a vacuum doesn't make sense. The fact is that Dwight is a FA at the end of the season. We have no idea what Dwight or his people have told the Rockets regarding how likely he is to resign with us or his salary expectations.

If you believe cyber's rumor then Dwight is willing to sign here but he wants near max money. IMO, inn that context then it's a no brainer that you trade him as that's simply too much money to tie up in a player at this point in his career.

If the Rockets believe that either Dwight won't likely resign or that he will demand more than they are willing to pay then you trade him.

Bottom line though is that we fans have no idea what the true situation is.

8. dje243

dje243 Member

I don't want Dwight to leave the team. I don't think he's a huge part of the problem. He's having a nice season actually. We can't pay him a max or near max salary that he's wanting and we can't let him walk away for nothing. It's a logical decision to make.

9. ind0fo0

Yeah, and since we have no idea what is going on behind closed doors I prefer to just gauge ClutchFans' sentiment on Dwight. Completely understand your perspective, but would feel even worse about this season seeing Dwight shipped out and this experiment being blown up already.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If they move Howard for role players and picks then Morey and Les need to make the decision to either let Harden play for a quick first round exit or shut him down for the possibility of a higher lottery pick and a chance to reload for next season.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Since we will not adjust our strategy, yes I want him to be traded. I also want Harden to be traded!

12. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

This team isn't going anywhere anytime soon, there's no reason to keep him.

13. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

You don't shut down 26 year old players if they aren't hurt.

14. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

My sentiments exactly. It didn't work, not due to talent but rather personalities on the team. Time to blow this team up and put a different cast around Harden.

15. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

1. unlikely to win a title this year (haha)

2. unlikely to resign dwight because there will be higher bidders

-> trade is the best move for us

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Sadly I agree. But most don't want the long years of rebuilding.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Trade him now or lose him for nothing. Get expiring contracts, a pick, and (if lucky) a young rotation player.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Absolutely not. And he cannot be allowed to leave at the season's end.

They've already hitched their wagon to Harden and Howard. So blow up the team around them and build one that's tailor made for tough rugged defense and spot up shooting. Even though Howard and Harden are both flawed, they're really the only two things that Morey has truly gotten right.

The problem is that this team's parts are talented but nonsensical. They're just not a well tuned machine. Fix that, then suddenly everything will become easier. Nothing helps chemistry more than winning. And nothing helps winning more than a roster strategically built to achieve a particular outcome.

Build the roster Morey. You lucked up last year with Harden's otherworldly regular season performance and breakout seasons from guys like Brewer, Donatas Motiejūnas, and Josh Smith. That got you the number two seed and a first round matchup against the Mavs. Then a second round matchup against the Clippers and a gimpy Chris Paul. Then you caught lightning in a bottle and overcame a 3-1 deficit in miraculous fashion. And now they're regressing to the mean and being exposed.

Strategically build the roster. Invest in personal and professional development for your players. Hire a basketball mind and leader of men as a coach. Fix it.

It's definitely time to trade away players, but those players ARE NOT named James Harden or Dwight Howard.

1 person likes this.
  19. ind0fo0

Well said - I completely agree. Morey's biggest talent in years past was finding diamonds in the rough that really excelled in Houston. It is bizarre to me that he struck out so poorly in evaluating the role players needed to help James and Dwight thrive. The fact that we still rely on TJones (for example) is scary.

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I dont want him to be traded but he has to be traded. This doesnt make sense.