1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets not trading Dwight, planning all-out Durant pursuit this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Feb 3, 2016.

1. rockets13champs

Agreed no one is gonna pick their team until after kd signs u might see horford sign with cavs. But hes not going to any other team before kd signs

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Houston also has better strip clubs FWIW

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL

Remember when many got getting Ty would put us over the top and help us ring this year and then Durant would join up with his best buddies in the NBA Ty Lawson and James Harden here in Houston to create dynasty.

It can still happen. let's not lose hope.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Houston: can probably choose his own coach, back in TX, warm winters, no state income tax, beard, strip clubs, chinese $

if thunder get nowhere in the playoffs this spring, then i'd say it's between GS and HOU

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

"It's just one offseason.."

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

We will get ****ed royally by Morey this off-season, just watch...all the good FAs get signed while we wait for Durant who stays with OKC, goes to the Wizards, Warriors, Lakers or whoever and then we sign whatever's left.

7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

You speak in absolutes, but I'll wait for Bima to chime in. Just note that OKC tax is about 5.5% - if this past offseason somebody in OKC signed 7-10 year max, the overall value of the contract would have been essentially equal, and absolutely WOULD make up the difference.

I don't think it's likely but it's not unrealistic like the picture you paint.

8. CertifiedTroll

You sound like a fan!

9. battousai

battousai Member

I see this totally differently.

First of all Westbrook will stay in OKC if he is the only star. He will leave if Durant stays. So, does Durant want to stay in OKC all by himself?

Head Coach, we dont have one. meaning if durant joins, we can hand pick a head coach that durant wants, a plus for us.

Harden is an attractive piece that can lore Durant. Where else can Durant go to get max contract, pick a headcoach, DH, and immediately a contender that can rivrly Warrior and Spurs?

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Maybe Durant just wants to take the easy route and join the Warriors to win a title. ala Lebron James (Heat)

I don't think he care to set himself up for a huge challenge. He either goes to Warriors to win a ring or joins the Lakers (Money n Fame life)

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Now? This is exactly what Morey has been doing since....well ever since he got here.

Every offseason, he makes plans to pursue the biggest free agents. Next year, Durant is undoubtedly the biggest free agent. Every offseason, even when it seems like we don't have the cap space to offer to a max free agent, he assures us that we can create that. And every offseason, he does.

And, almost every offseason (except when we got Howard), the biggest free agents decide to go somewhere else.

Reading that we are going to pursue Durant should surprise no one who has followed the Rockets at all. I'm sure we will also talk to Horford as well.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

he never came across to me as that type of player though. he's shown to be one of the ones who will want to accept the challenge of being the best by beating them not joining them. Not everyone has the LJ mentality of taking the easy way out and that's what a lot of people seem to believe. The only reason I could see him leaving OKC is that they've had their opportunity in his 9 years hes been there and its just time to move on if they do fall short again. Because his next stint will likely finish his best days playing.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I can see why you think that as well. If he chooses the Lakers, what would you think about him? That's obviously not a team that will contend right away, he will have to lure free agents, mesh as a team, get a new coach, etc. It will take a few years if all goes right & at that time he will be 30-31.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

As I dont see that happening, I guess if he somehow chose LA, he would want to be in the spotlight that comes with it and starting from scratch as the #1 guy. Another huge challenge if he made that decision but nothing wrong with that right.

15. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

If Warriors don't win it all, it makes Durant going to that team a lot more compelling. He'd be the piece that puts them over the top.

So are we rooting for the Warriors to win it all then?

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

if they don't win it all again its not because they're missing something to put them over the top because they're already by far the best team in the league.

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

You act like the rockets are some bum team and playing with hardrn is worse than john freaking wall or Westbrook.

Hello tye rockets have avg 55 wins the past 2 years they still have a high chance to get highly 40s in wins this year with the slow up and down start.

We were number 2 in the west last year and made the WCF finals.

You guys live to much in the moment and don't look at the big picture.

The rockets are better than there record says they have a 26 year old 2x all NBA 1st team whos also been top 5 in mvp votes the past 2 years.

Not to mentions dwight Howard is still a good player.

To say Houston has no chance is foolish.

JH/KD/DH is better than RW/Kd/ibaka

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, I do not think he is going to LA only if Westbook told him to join him in the following year. If I was him, this is my order: GS, OKC, and then Rox.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I usually always agree with Malakas takes but it seems we are off base on this. Durant can sign here for the max, and yes no state tax does make up for millions, not all he would lose but still make up for some. Also if Durant's wants he could sign a 1+1 with us and our out next year and get a 5yr deal with us starting out even higher and getting his Max Max money.

So essentially he signs with us for practically the same as he would with old and re-ups next year for the super Max. It's not that hard to fathom and is essentially the legion route of contracting.

His decision this off-season would initially comes down to Harden vs Westbrook and Dwight vs ibaka. Harden vs Westbrook is a wash with Harden getting slight nod because he's locked in for 2 yrs compared to 1. Dwight gets the edge over ibaka not too mention Dwight would be resigning and locked in for 4 years compared again to only 1.

Add on top of this he would likely get to help choose the coach he wants and avoid state tax over the length of his career. Also the market is much bigger.

It's very plausible Durant comes here, no reason to dismiss it as ludicrous.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think money will be the deciding factor to where Durant ends up. He's going to make a ton of money wherever he goes. Also, he signed a $300 million shoe deal. He already has a lot of money. He's going to go where he can be happy, and hopefully win a championship.

If he goes to the Lakers, he can recruit other top free agents to go with the young talent they already have. Plus, the Lakers would be his team. The same way that Harden has made the Rockets his team. And the same way that the Cavs are Lebron's team. So, I'm thinking Durant goes to a team like the Lakers where he will be top dog. Does Durant want to jump on board another superstars team, or does he want to be the star that other players flock to?