1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets not trading Dwight, planning all-out Durant pursuit this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Feb 3, 2016.

1. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Harden, Howard, Horford would be the sickest H town big 3

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You guys are stupid as ****.

Why the hell would he come here? Because he was teammates with Harden...really? Well, he has current teammates in OKC he's been alot closer to and has been deeper in the post season with.

3. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

The Thunder reached the Finals in 2012. Yes, James Harden was a part of that team. Not saying that would play a factor in Durant's decision.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Pipe dream

5. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

This will not end well.

6. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

State taxes sound like a significant thing when you're dealing with millions of dollars.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If dwight was smart he'd bust his ass to prove his value. He's going to need to mature and prove that this is his team and any team he goes to he will be that missing piece to a championship team. At his age no one is going to pay him max money to be the cornerstone to build a franchise around. That boat has long sailed away. The Rockets should keep him and let him prove his value because no team would be willing to give up anything of value for him especially when most know they can just sign him after the season. I have a bad feeling that we're about to end up with Nothing because of Morey.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Why would KD go from a better team to a worse team.. rofl

If anything, KD would only come here if Les agreed to go past cap to sign a 3rd superstar next off-season as well while keeping dwight on a vet min.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah if he signs here for the max instead of signing in okc for 1+1 and then max he is losing tens of millions. Dont tell me that taxes can make up the difference.

Okc: more money
    Gsw: rings.

Washington: coming home
    Houston: ??? Secret obsession with playing with harden?

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They're not just ex teammates...They're bffs..like Wade and Lebron. He's closer to Harden tham WB, Ibaka, etc.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Like I mentioned in my first post, Durant and Harden would seriously have to be secret lovers for Durant to come to Houston purely off his relationship with Harden.

This is a business, imagine this like job offers. Would you take the job offering the most money? The job offering the best chance at getting big time promotion? The job in your home town where your family lives? Or the job that you buddy works at?

Like seriously I think it would be nuts for Durant to sign with us unless we some how seriously upgrade this team or add another superstar to go with Harden and Durant.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lets not pretend that a HUGE incentive for joining Miami was the guaranteed RINGS, by making them easily the best team in the east and nba netting them him two rings. If Durant joined the Rockets, we STILL wouldn't be favorites to win the west, the Warriors would still be better, the Cavs and Spurs would be very competitive or possibly better as well.

Westbrook is a beast, he's just as talented as Harden. Harden may be better, but in no way is he a clear step ahead of WB. Ibaka, Kanter and Adams is just as good of a front court as we have. My point is even with Durant, we would likely not be much better, if better at all, then the current Thunders squad.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

:confused: What I don't understand is people always point to OKC being a good team for him to stay. Kevin Durant is the reason OKC is good in the first place! He's the guy responsible for the deep playoff runs! If he leave OKC is lotto land, as we saw last year when he was injured!

You can definitely make the argument other places are more desirable than Houston (like GSW), but the idea that he won't leave OKC just because that team is a "better team" than Houston is just laughable. Which is better current Houston roster or OKC roster without Durant? Or current Houston roster with Durant or current OKC? When you compare scenarios it should be apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey has become delusional after sippin that kool-aid

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

If OKC is as good as Houston why did Houston reach the WCF and OKC didn't get the 8th seed? People can try to argue that OKC without KD is as good as Houston till they are blue in the face but it doesn't change the fact that OKC can't even make the playoffs without KD, whereas Houston even with a horrible start that had them losing by 20 pts against trash teams are still in the playoffs.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Its about equal. May I remind you, we are on track to have a worse year then OKC did last year.

Just because the West is much weaker this year and we might make the playoffs, do not play down how bad we have been. We are a .500 team, about equal to a Durant-less OKC.

Last year we finished 2nd, we made it to the WCF, but last year is over and we are now 1 game over .500 51 games into the season, with a healthier season thus far might I add.

17. MistaK

MistaK Member

Not saying that Durant is coming here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen. Personally, I think Durant will stay in OKC, but if in fact he does consider other teams, I'd think that Houston would have to be on top of his list.

1) OKC have reached the Finals WITH Harden. After Harden left, OKC failed to reach the Finals twice and missed the Playoffs altogether.

2) Durant may have been teammates with certain guys for longer - that does not mean that he is closer to them. James and Durant seem to have a really good relationship off the court.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

True. Without Durant, OKC would be a mediocre ballclub. But we have Harden and Howard right now and are already mediocre. So why would Durant waste his time entertaining the idea of signing here? Because we won 56 games last year and made the WCF? So what? The year before, we got smoked in Round 1 by an inferior Blazers team. In fact, this franchise has achieved far less playoff success than the Thunder lately.

This is nothing like Dwight in 2013. He was leaving a bad situation in LA that was about to get much worse once Kobe ripped his Achilles. Durant's in a great situation in OKC. Yes, there's the prospect of Westbrook bolting in 2017 hanging over that franchise, but he could always just sign a 1-year deal this summer and then figure out where he's gonna play the following offseason based on Westbrook's decision. Plus Durant would then be able to make even more money if the cap goes up again(as is expected).

Like I said before, there is only one scenario in which I think the Rockets have at least a decent shot of getting Durant. And that's for us to pass the Mavs in the standings and get the 6th seed(which is still very possible), upset OKC in Round 1, and then give the Spurs a run for their money in the Semifinals. If that were to happen, then I think we'd be behind only Golden State and maybe Washington as the top choices for Durant.

19. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

The only time KD has gone deep or to the finals is with harden tho so there's that

20. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Why are all these idiots against going after Durant. Even if the chances are slim you still go after the prized free agent and if it doesn't work out then you turn your attention to the likes of Horford....or for that matter you go after both at the same time.

How stupid would it be for the Rockets to say no we aren't going after a top 5 player in the league because we only have a 15% chance of acquiring him.

You guys are who are against the Durant pursuit are dumb.