1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets plan to resign Dwight this summer - NOT to MAX deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2016.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, if someone offers him the max, then we can not trade him anymore.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ainge knows what he is dealing with when he picks up the phone to talk to Morey. If he has nothing of value to put on the table, he has to know he is wasting his time.

3. malakas

malakas Member

The two first rounders and a prospect or two are perfectly good value for a dwight trade at this stage. Esp since noone of the two gms has leverage.
    (I dont advocating trading dwight just that two firsts -non Bkn- are what we shpuld expect).

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If it's not the Brooklyn pick than I woundt do it unless it's the 2 firsts crowder and Bradley.

Dwight would put the celts in the top 4 in the east and Ainge knows this.

He's been 20/13 for the past 2 months dwights been a monster playing his best ball in over 3 years. Ainge isn't stupid he knows if he trades for howard and offers that max dwight will stay and that's all that matters.

5. malakas

malakas Member

So you are asking for two mid firsts and the worth of two lottery picks. Thats absurd.
    And if Ainge offers dwight the max thats 20 million at least more than what cyber said Morrey is willing to offer him,so dwight could sign there regardless.

Dwight expiring doesnt have that much value especially with the Rockets not willing to pay him over 25 per.

6. battousai

battousai Member

I am guessing the playoffs will have a lot of say into this summer.

We will need to see how far Durant's Thunders would go in the playoffs, can they go toe to toe vs Spurs or Warriors? IF yes, then I think Durant will stay in OKC. IF not, I am guessing Durant will go to a contender with room for max contract. Which I am guessing Rox has a very high chance at him.

If so, Howard will resign with pay cut. We prolly will let Howard test the market this off season while trying to grab Durant. if no Durant, I am guessing we will semi-rebuild with Harden.

7. rullrich

rullrich Member

NYK might get involved to move Melo as part of a 3 way trade perhaps...Melo to Houston, Dwight to BOS, picks/young players to NYK. Allows them to rebuild around Porzingawd - puts Boston in a good position to compete. Melo and Lawson played well together they could do it again...probably...okay, maybe...

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Rockets will need to perform in the playoffs as well, in order to have a chance to be on that precious "shortlist".

If they can defeat the Spurs in round 1 and Thunder in round 2, I'd say the chances are excellent for Durant to join this team.

On the flip side, if the Spurs sweep this team in round 1, or the Thunder kills this team in 5 games in round 1, we're off that shortlist.

9. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I cant think of a team that would offer Dwight a max contract. The only scenario I could see is an irrelevant team that is looking to make a splash.

All things being equal, I think Dwight takes the 20 million this year because I am not sure how much he would get on the market.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He'll get much more than $20m across a multiple year contract.

Dwight will opt-out in order to sign a longer contract. At his age and injury history, he does not want to opt-in, thus enter 2017 with only one guaranteed year left. Everyone opts-out if they are healthy.

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

can you help out with some of your own $ on that last year's 30 mil? :)

12. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Cyber, any word on what the Celtics have dangled? Is Smart available?

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Good to know! About damn time too...

14. rocketsmetalspd

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Rockets prob offer the same 4/88 mil contract to dwight we just gave him is my guess, unless we know for sure Durant is coming. Then I think dwight might take 18-20 mil a year to look good from a PR standpoint while also giving him his best chance at a title in his 12 year career.

16. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Conflicting reports from all across the board..

Cyberx says Rockets are trying to re-sign him.
    Codman seems indifferent.
    Watkins says Rockets aren't trying to trade him.
    Mannix says Rockets have engaged in talks with other teams about Dwight.

This is really odd. Sounds like Dwight *may* want out but desires to have a deal done under the table..

17. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Where's DraftBoy at? :)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...3/dwight-howard-rockets-free-agency/79788700/

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

banned...hope for a good long time...

20. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Anyone else thrilled that this information:

"Dallas is out so long as Dwight insists on max money - even w/ Chandler Parsons telling USAT he wants a reunion"
    From Sam amik

Days after cyber broke the news. I just love watching that dumb a$$ draftboy try and convince us of his genius in spite of logic, reason and you know facts.

Literally made my day lol