1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets plan to resign Dwight this summer - NOT to MAX deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2016.

1. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Just today Woj got out a report full with illegal things. Durant to Warriors screams tampering, what are you going to do? Check players and agents phones and social media?

Give Cyberx a break, if this is a lie, then us are fools arguing about it. It´s alright for me.

I want to go the Malakas route on this thread.

What does this means for our current roster? I think Morey wants to lowball as much of our current roster as he can and keep trying big names.

Dmo and Dwight go underpaid because injuries.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If Dwight is getting 20m, we won't have serious money for Harrison Barnes.

3. malakas

malakas Member

You may not think it but it does.
    If a GM tried to call foul play to the league =>a) The other GMs would start accusing him since everyone does it b) he would have no definite proof c)and the most important means immediate war against the agents. If the agents decide to wage war against you , you are done and finished as a GM. The end.
    Hinkie found it out and that was nothing compared to what would have happened if a GM accused an agent of foul play.

4. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

It's mostly agents playing the game, this is very different. This is tampering.

Does it happen? Sure, again, sure it does. I just don't think it goes this way. It doesn't come out to the BBS, but I may be wrong.

I have a call with Relativity Sports Marketing team tomorrow morning. Dead serious here, I'm going to inquire.

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Different means of tampering. KD to GSW is TOTALLY different, than Dwight's "people" calling other teams to gauge market value. Very different.

Of course, if he's pardoned by the Rockets it's all fine.

Tampering and speculation are very different.

Speculation by a tremendous source(Woj) with his insiders(equity built in with GMs, agents, associates) is different, too.

6. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

So basically Morey is becoming the Frank Underwood of the NBA.. :p

7. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Please, elaborate. How is this different?

As for the speculation point, ff course is speculation, otherwise it would be tampering. This speculation comes through back channels, as in every industry, country, etc all around the world. Do you know the definition of back channels?

8. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah..what does it mean for DMO?

First of all the Barnes backup plan already shows that Morrey doesn't believe he has high chance to sign Durant. so let's get it out of the way.
    But then going after Barnes put at risk our own RFAs. GSW will have 48 hours to match and in the meantime all the other teams can target us.
    And we have to give the contract to Barnes as soon as the moratorium ends, because we won't be his only suitors. Morrey will have to meet him and convince him to go there with the same max offer, that other teams will offer him.
    Unless there is another deal already in place with DMO's (or Jones agent), or DMO has decided to take his qo.

And in the end can we pay 23 mil to Barnes, 20 mil to DMO and 20 mil to Dwight while having the dead money of Brew, and no good pg?

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Giving Dwight the max would be morally reprehensible. He's great, but come on. This seems like a no brainer.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is sadly true. We need change the culture of this team. Hopefully a totally new coaching staff and some key trades will help that.

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Speculation is fine. If a player's associate tells Woj, KD to GSW is one thing. That's spec; going to the media is spec. Agents use the media to spec on everything.

If a player's associate PHYSICALLY CALLS Dallas to see what his player's value is another thing. That's tampering; that's DIRECT contact. Agents don't use other team's personnel or staff like that.

While I'm sure tampering is involved in the business, and in any business I bet, I just don't see how it lands up here. This would be way too dangerous to do.

Anyways, I've reached out to a few sources; relativity will call in the morning, Shams, I will reach out to Woj and Feigen, and then Marc Stein at ESPN. I don't know if I'll get a response beyond Relativity & Shams, but if there's ANY heat on this, and I mean ANY. You bet Woj, Stein, Shams will be ALL over this.

12. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

He can eat Frank´s ribs if that means our players are staying here. Specially DMO and Dwight. I hate a lot of things about this team. But I also know what things I don´t want to lose. Low post scoring and rebounding are two of these.

13. malakas

malakas Member

yes and i bet you are also banned from this forum by actually trying to endanger Cyber's position.
    Please everyone report him.
    It's one thing to go and troll and another to go and call an agency or the journos.
    It's the recipe for Cyber never posting here very again.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Please explain the value an agent/lawyer gets for phishing for early $$ numbers, when those $$ numbers can be completely fabricated. Numbers only count come July 1st.

Imagine if you asked someone, "What would you sell your house for in a year?" And imagine if by asking that and getting an answer, you'd be breaking the law. The answer is meaningless. Asking it and receiving an answer has very little if any impact to what you will sell the house for in a year.

You assume this illegal market research has value worth the risk. It doesn't. Agent is better off spending his time fishing for sponsorship deals. Lawyers don't break very harshly penalized rules, for so little value in return, as much as you seem to believe. You watch too many movies.

15. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I would never cost someone their job. Cyber technically initiated it by posting it here.

But if this is true, and if you guys say so, I'm sure others would love this lead.

This can be headline news.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I like the Festus option, I do realize that like in all years past any serviceable big, who is young, potentially improving, and in a year with lots of cash, will get overpaid. Perhaps overspending on center isn't imperative anymore in the NBA? That's my view. Dwight plays, he doesn't play... it really doesn't seem to matter on this team. They're 6-4 this year without him. They were solid last year without him. Wait, you say, what about the playoffs last year, you say. Well... yes, Dwight was solid in the playoffs. But it's impossible to say what would have happened without Dwight. Give me a healthy PBev and DMo last year, and no Dwight in the playoffs, and I have no problem believing the team achieves the same level of success.

I'm not a Dwight hater, mind you. Yes, his post game is infuriating. Yes, his antics are infuriating and his passive aggressiveness is infuriating. But I also "get" the guy. I get where he's coming from, some of his frustrations, etc. More to the point, I just don't see the point in overspending tremendously on that position. Let Capela develop into your starting center and try to find a backup ala a Tiaggo Splitter ... a productive backup center who is for whatever reason overlooked. Or Zaza Pachulia. Mind you, I am nowhere near saying these guys are replacements for or as good as Dwight.

One has to assume the reason the Rockets are considering keeping Dwight at a "reduced" rate isn't because they really want to build the team around him as a Harden/Howard tandem... but because there's really not a lot of other options. Everyone would love Durant or Horford. And Harrison Barnes is a good, interesting name to discuss - but he's restricted and you are only getting him out of GSW by paying a crapton of money for a guy that is nowhere close to showing he can breakout like Harden had clearly shown before we acquired him. On the trade front, what options are there really? I guess I'd pursue a trade for Horford (but I have some similar concerns about Horford as Dwight - I like him but am not blown away by him).

And Morey probably has ways to pursue 1 max free agent under the new cap this offseason while also resigning Dwight at a number he thinks is fair. But still... with all that, I'd still strongly pursue a mini-breakup. This ISN'T working. This will ONLY work by (1) actually landing Durant, or (2) making a miracle hire at head coach. I see both of those as slim.

It's hard to envision how serious the Clippers/Blake dissatisfaction might be. Obviously the Clippers don't need Dwight. But if they are in any way even remotely considering a trade of Blake, man I'd try to find a third team and get him. Yes, Blake isn't a defensive genius, yes his athleticism will slowly leave him, yes he is apparently a weird friend, and yes he has seemed to shrink it key 4th quarters.... BUT... this is a dude with all the offensive tools who is a solid rebounder, above average defender, still very young, and is basically the PERFECT fit next to Harden. A PF with an inside outside game that can CREATE. It's a guy that has had many multi game MVP stretches, some month long MVP stretches, and for the first half of the playoffs last year was the best player in the playoffs.

If I can play armchair GM:

Rockets trade: Howard, Ariza, Dekker, KJ McDaniels
    Rockets receive: Blake Griffin, Tiago Splitter

Clippers trade: Blake Griffin
    Clippers receive: Horford, Ariza

Hawks trade: Horford, Splitter
    Hawks receive: Howard, McDaniels, Dekker

Again, the Clippers have to want to make a move, but they get a Griffin replacement who probably really really wants to resign in LA (bigger market, spanish speaking) and a SF that plays solid defense. The Hawks get a true center to put next to Millsap. The Rockets are probably looking more towards next year, but they get when healthy one of the top 1/2 PFs in the game to mesh with Harden.

Just my $0.02 ;)

1 person likes this.
  17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

That's why you need to informally reach a consensus on the deal during the moratorium! Timing is everything; you can't expect Morey's first contact being on some guys porch at 12:01 a.m. Back-channel communication is part of due diligence. How do you think NFL contracts get signed within minutes of mid-night?

p.s. can't see DMo getting 20 mil per after this lost year. Maybe 10 million x 2 years.

18. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Ok, here I disagree with you. National media is focused on 3 or 4 teams. Dwight did not even make the all star game. They don´t care about Rockets, last year was another proof of this.

I think you want to take the discussion to a point of speculation precisely. We don´t know. And since we don´t really know, and I have every reason to believe in Cyber. And this makes sense with the thing you hear on the vertical podcast, on the lowe podcast, on the BS podcast.

19. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Dmo played 5 games. Do you really think someone is going to go the 20M route? I would bet today he takes the QO.

20. DuDDleyDawsonII

This thread is that deep to you? WOOOOOOOOOOOOW