1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why all the Capela hate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RasaqBoi, Feb 1, 2016.

1. basketballholic

Capela needs to be moved while his trade value is still high. We don't have the time nor the risk factor to see if he sinks or swims. His trade value will most likely never be higher with 2 more season after this one under team control. We need to package him with other assets and get back a true 2-way young star player while simultaneously moving out salary in preparation for this summer's free agency and getting back other vet bigs that can help us lock down the paint and the glass in a run to the playoffs and beyond.

We're going nowhere with Clint as our third big. He isn't good enough right now. He needs to be traded along with other assets for a difference-making young star. (See sig.)

2. Raven

Raven Member

It's going to be impossible to determine the value of any player as long as the team is demoralized and discombobulated.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Spurs pretty much cleaned house with that aspect. David West would have been the best prospect for this team to fill that void.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Look, the dude is 21 years old and in his first full season in the NBA. That being said, he's been awful lately. He's regressed almost back to where he was early last season. His free throw shooting is atrocious(seriously, 1-8 against the Wizards?!), he has serious problems catching the ball, he's terrible at finishing around the rim, and he's constantly winding up out on the perimeter guarding a smaller player.

Now on that last one, I'll cut him some slack. That's the Rockets' dumbass defensive gameplan. Dwight does it a lot as well. But the rest are on him. He's too raw and undeveloped right now. I actually would be fine with him getting all this playing time if we were a lotto team trying to develop young guys. But if we fancy ourselves a playoff team, it's not a good sign that Clint is getting so many minutes.

I don't necessarily think demoting him to the D-League is the answer. He needs NBA experience. But right now he's hurting the team more than helping.

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

He can be ibaka down the road maybe, people here want him to be shaq

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Shaq would foul out within 5 minutes in today's game with those legendary elbows and battering ram style moves. We want Clint to be like Hakeem.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's called scapegoating. An old Clutchfans trick.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I agree with this, we need to move Capela and KJ for a good 2 way player now at the 1, 2 or 4. And even Ariza, too, if the combination results in the return of an all-star or near all-star talent.

9. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

I always mix you and bballholic up. Nice to see some clear variance here, won't do it again lol

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I like Clint Capela, and still very much believe he'd go much higher in one of those "re-draft"s, but he's hit a wall, and his free throw shooting, which started this year semi-decent, has reverted to its former horrific-ness.

I used to see him as untouchable but if the yield were fair, I'd include him in a deal for a player that could truly help us now. Again, if the trade were equitable. Clint could be very good someday. Right now he looks like he's been watching video of Kelvin "Stone Hands" Cato, even Omer "Way Way Waaaay Overpaid" Asik.

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think we need to hit the reset button, partially. Here's a list of players who could be part of a retooling.

Harden
    Howard
    Motiejunas
    Capela

Here's the players who nobody has a good read on but are on cheap deals and might improve
    Dekker
    Harrell

Here's the players who are expendable, either because their trade value is higher than their value to the current team, or because they hold little value in a de novo restructuring

Lawson
    Beverley
    Terry
    Thornton (unless he signs again for the vet min)
    Ariza
    Brewer
    McDaniels
    Jones
    Smoove

Capela is a guy who is raw but has shown solid per 36 numbers (12/11/2 blk) and could ostensibly improve. He's on a cheap deal. He gives you an insurance policy if Howard is part of your long-term plans.

For bbholic, Aldrich may be a better defensive center now, but we need a lot more pieces to contend than that (shooters anyone?), and he's 27 so it's unlikely he will get much better. He's putting up career numbers but in his previous stop his per 36 numbers were identical to Capela this year. I don't see Aldrich as being a game changer for a team as dysfunctional as ours, even if he is currently the better center in this particular season.

Morey's gotta find a coach with a system who can get Harden and co. to buy in, then fill the roster with system players and good shooters. This team is a complete wreck to watch this year. It was fine while we were winning but if McHale had no system in place last year, what the heck do you call this year? It's chaos and it's not working. But Capela isn't part of the problem, and he might be part of the solution.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agree with both. We should trade our not-very-good players for very-good players.

1 person likes this.
  13. basketballholic

I made no other point about Capela/Aldrich other than RIGHT NOW Aldrich is the superior defensive center. As Russell would say.........don't get it twisted.

14. malakas

malakas Member

It's classic fan bipolar syndrome. One year the guy is a superstar in the making and the next he's trash.
    The truth is in the middle. What Capela is going through is pretty normal. The league has adjusted to him, and him playing at pf has shot his confidence. He is not a scrub and he is not a future star. He is a starting caliber young big who needs TON of work on his body, his skills and ton of more exprerience.

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's also hitting his sophomore slump... Agreed.

16. OpenLayup-Why3?

I don't like Capela's head. There. I said it.

1 person likes this.
  17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Of course a traditional back to the basket player is useless in Moreyball... If he developed a 3 pt shot, he would be a borderline "trade asset" for Morey

18. beardsanity713

you on point bro couldnt agree more...

our championship window is not gonna be open for long we have to

take advantage of Harden being in his prime right now

& get him some real help

19. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Clint just isn't very good. People need to wake up and see that.

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's serviceable currently and almost certainly has yet to hit his ceiling, even if his ceiling isn't Dwight or Ibaka.